6.4 oil leak?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TWILLIAMS9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So today I noticed on my oil pan that there is a collection of oil that appears to be ready to drip, also on my front crossmember. I have not noticed any oil on the ground and my oil is still full. I had my purchasing dealership do my first oil change since it was free. To have a less than one year old truck and notice oil leaking, I am beyond pissed. I have a scheduled service date at the dealership (closest to me, where I get my service done at) on Wednesday. They will also be addressing two other problems. One of which is the fuel nozzle consistently shutting off when fueling up and two the side view mirror heater button rarely works (atleast the little light rarely comes on when the button is pressed). Those things I can live with but the oil ****** me off.

RAMYOU

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
maybe they spilled some oil when they were changing your oil? or is it possible that you might have run over some oil? are u 100% sure that its actually leaking?

OP
OP
TWILLIAMS9

TWILLIAMS9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well Im pretty sure it's leaking from somewhere since I wiped the pan off when I noticed it like 2 months ago and then just noticed it again today. If anything it's a slow leak since my oil level is fine.

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
It's probably the oil filter. Probably didn't seal right. Had that happen on my 6.7L.

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
TWILLIAMS9

TWILLIAMS9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I really hope it's something as simple as the oil filter.

KarL45

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram Express quad cab 4x4
Engine
5.7 MDS
oil leak

Just looked under mine yesterday and thankfully, no leaks anywhere. Am sure that the dealership will correct the problem or add dye to the oil to get a better read on location of leak if not readily apparent. Yes, please keep us posted.

OP
OP
TWILLIAMS9

TWILLIAMS9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just took a closer look at my leak and it would appear that the oil filter may be the cause for this as it appears to be coming from somewhere around there. This is exactly why I do not like when someone else works on my vehicle! Can't trust what the always do. Most people don't take as good car of the car they are working on as they would their own. I know that doesn't go for everybody but it seems to be most.

Donelam304

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4
I so agree TWILLIAMS9. Most don't pay to much attention to working on someone else's vehicle. If I get something done to any of my vehicles, I always go behind them and check it myself. Just for that very reason. Glad ya found what it was from.

ZAR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Good luck on the fuel nozzle shutting off. Keep us posted on it.

OP
OP
TWILLIAMS9

TWILLIAMS9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well the oil was leaking from the oil filter. So good news there, they put on a new filter. As far as the fueling issue, they are sending in to chrysler a "star" case or something like that. I guess it's so they can point them in the direction of what to look for and test/replace first and what not. So they are keeping my truck for another day so I will pick it up Friday morning. They had enterprise give me a rental and the only dodge product they had was a grand caravan. :roflsquared: I don't mind, it's really easy to drive and pretty smooth.

ZAR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Well the oil was leaking from the oil filter. So good news there, they put on a new filter. As far as the fueling issue, they are sending in to chrysler a "star" case or something like that. I guess it's so they can point them in the direction of what to look for and test/replace first and what not. So they are keeping my truck for another day so I will pick it up Friday morning. They had enterprise give me a rental and the only dodge product they had was a grand caravan. :roflsquared: I don't mind, it's really easy to drive and pretty smooth.

Ha! They had me in a grand caravan for 2 weeks while they were trying to figure out my fueling issues. Then I had Chrysler 200's after that.

OP
OP
TWILLIAMS9

TWILLIAMS9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ha! They had me in a grand caravan for 2 weeks while they were trying to figure out my fueling issues. Then I had Chrysler 200's after that.

I tried getting the dealership to give me a loaner truck but they wouldn't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtu1293

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Lol same here - I got a dodge dart twice now. The last time I asked if I could borrow my jeep they haven't sold yet.

Last edited:

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
I tried getting the dealership to give me a loaner truck but they wouldn't.

When I had my '05 CTD the A/C evaporator core failed, and when I took it in for repair they gave me a Neon for a loaner. I said I have a business(paint store)to run and make deliveries with my truck. They said that's all we have. That day one of my good painters needed a pretty big order ASAP. You would not believe how many five gallon pails of paint you can jam into a Neon when properly motivated:roflsquared: I wish I had pictures.

OP
OP
TWILLIAMS9

TWILLIAMS9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When I had my Honda Civic coupe during school, I jammed an 8 ft Christmas tree through the trunk up the side of the car. It was touching the dash.

OP
OP
TWILLIAMS9

TWILLIAMS9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I can pick my truck up tomorrow. They did a bunch of testing to the fuel system by pulling off, adjusting, and testing it and then went and put 5 gallons of gas in and it didn't click off. I will fill up tomorrow morning at my Costco (where I always get gas) and see for myself.

RAMYOU

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Im glad it wasnt something bad. Off topic question here, since your tires stick out almost 2 inches?? are you noticing any paint scratches on your fender right above and behind the tires? is it pain in the ass to clean those areas constantly?

OP
OP
TWILLIAMS9

TWILLIAMS9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Im glad it wasnt something bad. Off topic question here, since your tires stick out almost 2 inches?? are you noticing any paint scratches on your fender right above and behind the tires? is it pain in the ass to clean those areas constantly?

I don't have any paint damage on the paint except for a tiny knick in the rocker panel. It is a pain to keep it clean though. It definitely needs flares but I have a tax bill I'm trying to save up for.