Coolant

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Snake_Eyes

Snake_Eyes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l Hemi
Ionicbrick, thanks for the update. I hope they find it and fix it for you.

I got the notice that the trackbar brackets are available now so I'm going to 'try' and have them do that recall, the body mount TSB and check my coolant next week. I have an appointment for this Sat but I'm going to have to reschedule it.

Ionicbrick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Well, they told me today that they've asked FCA to look into the broad issue to see if any other trucks have had this issue and what the fox for them was. They're still not finding anything definitive, and I guess they won't be compensated properly from FCA unless they do. I don't want them just throwing parts at it either. With my luck they'll replace a perfectly good part with a defective one.

Someone mentioned thinking that these systems are open (which I'm thinking means unpressurized). That's not the case. You're probably just bewildered as the overflow bottle is now part of the pressurized system, whereas on older trucks it was not. The system still pressurizes to around 16 psi or so.

Soldier of The Law

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just a shot in the dark here ... But those who have this issue, what's the build date on your truck?

I smell coolant as well and I have a 6/2014 date on my door sticker.

chris1965

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
fill UV-detector fluid in the coolant and drive. after 2-3 days- or depending how much you drive, check with UV light- if there's a leak, you'll find it.
The other possibility: the water bottle is too full and when the vehicle gets hot, fluid gets pressed out through the overflow. I would check there too.
IF SO, I would try either another radiator cap or see, why the pressure in the cooling system is too high.
Sometimes, when you don't know, you expect something very big- but often it's just little things.
It's worth a check.

Ionicbrick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I don't recall the build date on my truck, I'll have to check when I get it back.

As for the dye, the dealer is using the dye. They put it in after the first day of not finding anything. They've been putting pressure on it pretty much the whole time and still not finding any dye, yet it's still losing pressure somehow... That's why they've opened a file with FCA.

I did some searching worldwide on unexplained coolant loss in these trucks. I found nothing on anything from 2015 (that's what my truck is), but I did find a handful with bad water pump seals that leaked around 40k miles or so.

Rustycowl69

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 ram 3500
Engine
V10
I had a situation where I was driving long distance,, all Interstates, and losing coolant and didn't know it until it began to overheat. It turned out the radiator was plugged enough to overfill the coolant recovery reservoir, and like the previous poster said, it lost coolant that way. But I don't see it happening on such a new vehicle . That said, it's worth a look.

Glowrdr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Just out of curiosity - what warranty covers this? I've got a 2014 with the same symptoms, but I'm past the 60k mile warranty. Assuming this would not be part of the 100k powertrain?

Donelam304

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4
Just out of curiosity - what warranty covers this? I've got a 2014 with the same symptoms, but I'm past the 60k mile warranty. Assuming this would not be part of the 100k powertrain?
Wow. Finally someone with a 2014 2500 with 6.4L HEMI that may have more miles than me. Lol. I got mine in November /December of 2013 and have 50,000 on it.

OP
OP
Snake_Eyes

Snake_Eyes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l Hemi
Got mine in Sep '14 and just turned 40k.

I also had my water pump replaced previously due to the 'mouse squeak' and for the life of me I can't remember if I was getting the burning coolant smell before that work? Still hoping to have time to take my truck in next week.

Glowrdr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Wow. Finally someone with a 2014 2500 with 6.4L HEMI that may have more miles than me. Lol. I got mine in November /December of 2013 and have 50,000 on it.

I'm at 67/68k at the moment. So far it's been a great truck. Came from an '11 QC Laramie 1500 (to the CC Laramie)

grizzjeeper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well add me to the coolant smell. Was told they "all" do that. I have not looked at loss but will take some measurements. I have a 15 PW. I also had my motor replaced at 10k. Same smell with the new one as well so I would think that eliminates anything at the motor level and would have to be in the radiator or hoses etc. 16k now.

OP
OP
Snake_Eyes

Snake_Eyes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l Hemi
Well my appointment has been pushed off. They have the R46 brackets in stock but they need to read the 43 page document to know if I get them or not...they won't just take my word. The two body cushions for 23-033-15 are on order but they have no idea when they might arrive. I know I'm probably crazy for trying to do all this on one appointment. I'll call back on Mon to see if they have an ETA.

Ionicbrick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Well I've got my truck back. The map lights both got replaced and are much brighter now. The software updates have caused my truck to forget how I drive and it shifts weird again, but that will go away.

As for the coolant the engineers at FCA don't have enough documented info to warrant replacement of any parts by my complaint alone. The dye didn't show up anything while at the shop, so their recommendation is that it be sent home with me with fresh coolant and dye and driven for a while. I had the pleasure of speaking to my actual tech when I picked it up. After testing it six ways to Sunday he had a hunch that maybe the cap was letting off some of the pressure, though it might only be air. He swapped my cap with a new one and it held pressure for 8 hours. He still thinks there might be something leaking though, as he doesn't seem to think the release of excess air pressure in the system would cause me to smell it once it's parked.

So far I've driven it a hundred miles or so and haven't smelled it. It will be interesting once it's out back to the haul on Monday though.
Again, I'll keep you posted.

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
Dealer just called they pressure tested it, and of course they could find nothing wrong freaking horsecrap! I know what I am smelling and maybe it's just a small amount but it leaking somewhere!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GoldDot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Check all your hose clamps for the coolant hoses. I had a leak once that I could not find any evidence of except the coolant over flow would go down gradually. I would search for leaks and could never find a drop. Ended up pressurizing the system cold with a tester. After 30 mins it started dripping from a 1/2 hose because a clamp was not seated correctly.

Ionicbrick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Dealer just called they pressure tested it, and of course they could find nothing wrong freaking horsecrap! I know what I am smelling and maybe it's just a small amount but it leaking somewhere!

It's the same story as my dealer. Have them put the dye in it and take it home. If they're diligent they'll just have the truck longer.
I've put some miles on mine and plan to climb under it with the UV light tomorrow...

Underarock13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Ram 2500 14
Engine
6.4 hemi
Noticed today mines below min mark. What antifreeze should I use? Or do I have to get dealer stuff?

Ionicbrick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Noticed today mines below min mark. What antifreeze should I use? Or do I have to get dealer stuff?

You can use the Prestone stuff labeled for any kind of antifreeze. Dealer didn't have a problem with me using that.

Ionicbrick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
So I climbed under the truck with the UV light and looked around for about 20 minutes. Nothing. Which is weird because I still smell it. It hasn't lost any fluid, however. And yes, I did test the antifreeze to be sure my light reacted properly with the dye...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodie1990