2013-1500:Rear End Trouble. Need advice.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

C.states

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ive went through numerous threads and checked the more likely of issues. None have work. Got desperate, and started my own thread.

Issue started out with a whining sound in the back end. All speed based. Non dependant on RPM or brakes. So to me, obviously it's a wheel bearing. Right?

So made a day of it. Checked all the tires. Noticed a pretty significant amount of play in the back passenger tire than the others. Not sure why the back axles are allowed to slide at all... but guess that's Okay? Note:The dif fluid was really dirty. Changed only the outer bearing. It did seem to have a little damage. I know one should change all 4 rear bearings and seals, but it's Christmas time. Being cheap. Put it all back together after a good amount of cleaning... Started up fine. No codes. No errors. Still whining. Not as bad. But its still there. Any suggestions?

I've read that it could be the torque converter a million times... But it really sounds like it's in the rear end.

Some background info... 2013 dodge ram 1500 bighorn 2wd. Currently at 107k miles. Pretty confident I changed out all factory parts. Well. Part.

Also, after replacing all that, I randomly get a "service anti-lock brake system" message on my dash. I've read that bumps and moisture can mess up the sensors. I babied the entire caliper/brake and hub, so i can confirm it didn't get any physical damage to the wires or sensor. But it was extremely foggy and humid. Anything metallic and cool got condinsation on it. Are they really that sensitive?

Bought the truck for making consistent medium heavy hauls. I can't risk having a load of building materials parked on the side of the road.

Numnutz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ive went through numerous threads and checked the more likely of issues. None have work. Got desperate, and started my own thread.

Issue started out with a whining sound in the back end. All speed based. Non dependant on RPM or brakes. So to me, obviously it's a wheel bearing. Right?

So made a day of it. Checked all the tires. Noticed a pretty significant amount of play in the back passenger tire than the others. Not sure why the back axles are allowed to slide at all... but guess that's Okay? Note:The dif fluid was really dirty. Changed only the outer bearing. It did seem to have a little damage. I know one should change all 4 rear bearings and seals, but it's Christmas time. Being cheap. Put it all back together after a good amount of cleaning... Started up fine. No codes. No errors. Still whining. Not as bad. But its still there. Any suggestions?

I've read that it could be the torque converter a million times... But it really sounds like it's in the rear end.

Some background info... 2013 dodge ram 1500 bighorn 2wd. Currently at 107k miles. Pretty confident I changed out all factory parts. Well. Part.

Also, after replacing all that, I randomly get a "service anti-lock brake system" message on my dash. I've read that bumps and moisture can mess up the sensors. I babied the entire caliper/brake and hub, so i can confirm it didn't get any physical damage to the wires or sensor. But it was extremely foggy and humid. Anything metallic and cool got condinsation on it. Are they really that sensitive?

Bought the truck for making consistent medium heavy hauls. I can't risk having a load of building materials parked on the side of the road.

You seem very thorough and not questioning your motive with the bearings, but have you checked your U Joints? Rams have a history when reaching the 100,000 mi plus area.

7777xm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Whining, it sounds like it's the rear end. I've had 3 that have done this, my 2007, 2010, and my 2014. All had new rear ends and axles.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

OP
OP
C

C.states

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You seem very thorough and not questioning your motive with the bearings, but have you checked your U Joints? Rams have a history when reaching the 100,000 mi plus area.

I've never experienced a whining noise from a U joint. Its usually either a clunk sound or the thing just falls apart. I'll double check though. At least try greasing them.

pinion bearing?

tuned by Jay Greene

I've had a mechanic friend suggest this as well. Did a simple shake test. Has absolutely zero play if i shake the back end on of the drive shaft. I was pretty rough with it too. Did the test just in my driveway in park. Maybe I missed part of the whole routine. I'll look into it. Any advice though? Really dont have the time to completely rebuild the rear end. I'd probably just buy a new used axle. I read, briefly, that this is common and a good time to upgrade to a better rear end. I don't remember the exact numbers on different rear ends though...

Whining, it sounds like it's the rear end. I've had 3 that have done this, my 2007, 2010, and my 2014. All had new rear ends and axles.

Did you ever know what exactly went out? Just swap for the same rear end? Or did you do anything particular with it? Trade it in and let the next guy deal with it? kidding. Lol

Sorry for slow reply. Christmas had me *******. Appreciate the help though .

7777xm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Had something to do with the carrier bearing and it being seized and in all 3 cases, the entire axle and rear had to be replaced. Lucky they were all warrantied.

OutlawTrucker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
U joints cause vibrations when they go bad. I've replace enough on an 18 wheeler I'd know

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've never experienced a whining noise from a U joint. Its usually either a clunk sound or the thing just falls apart. I'll double check though. At least try greasing them.

I've had a mechanic friend suggest this as well. Did a simple shake test. Has absolutely zero play if i shake the back end on of the drive shaft. I was pretty rough with it too. Did the test just in my driveway in park. Maybe I missed part of the whole routine. I'll look into it. Any advice though? Really dont have the time to completely rebuild the rear end. I'd probably just buy a new used axle. I read, briefly, that this is common and a good time to upgrade to a better rear end. I don't remember the exact numbers on different rear ends though...

Did you ever know what exactly went out? Just swap for the same rear end? Or did you do anything particular with it? Trade it in and let the next guy deal with it? kidding. Lol

Sorry for slow reply. Christmas had me *******. Appreciate the help though .

that shake test should be done with no load on the pinion...IE, rear axle in the air and trans in neutral so there is no load from either end and it is free to move as it wants

shane1981

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
the pinion can be tight with no play and still make some noise. the longer it goes the louder it will get and eventually get some slack in it but there are quite a few things that can make noise in a rear end

tuned by Jay Greene

KingTuna

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I'd bet pinion bearing is the culprit. I had a nissan hardbody pickup with the same symptoms as you describe. The bearing had small pits in it, causing the whine. I was told by the trans/rear end guy that I had fix it that it would have rode like that forever before causing any issues.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
unless you are over 100000 miles, your rear is covered under warranty.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodie1990