3x Lock remote start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mike905

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram Sport
Engine
5.7L
@ people that got aftermarket remote start installed with the oem fob (clicking lock button 3 times)
and have proximity entry and push button start what are the functions of the remote start?
once remote started when you open the door does the truck stay running or does it shut off?
is it the same as the tip start models that have to just put the key in and click it over to run?

Want to know if with aftermarket remote start on push to start ram that if the engine has to start 2x in order to remote start and drive or just the once?

Also does the climate control system turn on if on AUTO with remote start? (heat up trucks interior prior to entering vehicle)

Pa.hemi.ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, 6" Rough Co lift, Fuel wheels, Bully Dog Gt, K&N CAI, Magnaflow Exhaust
I’m looking to buy a remote start kit for Mine that runs off factory fob. Just don’t want ANOTHER thing on my key ring lol...wish they made an alarm to run off factory fob too, but prob pushing it lol....

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’m looking to buy a remote start kit for Mine that runs off factory fob. Just don’t want ANOTHER thing on my key ring lol...wish they made an alarm to run off factory fob too, but prob pushing it lol....

They do search around on here. This has been talked about many many times. there is a guy on ebay that sells the aftermarket kits. its really almost plug and play.

it uses the factory fob. biggest down fall is you are limited to the range of the factory fob.

you can also look into the Directed DS4. i beleive it will offer the 3x lock button start but it has built in bluetooth so you can use your phone as a remote if in range.

Or you can do the kit i talked about first and a smart start module and not worry about range.

KCaudill

The RAM
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i have the remote start with keyless PB starting.
Once youve remote started the truck and open the door it will continue to run for X amount of time. the radio will turn on once youve opened the door, if you have the climate set to auto it will come on and heat or cool to the temp you left it at. If you have it programmed (in the radio) it will also turn on the heated seat and steering wheel. If your gas light is on (low fuel) it will remote start and then shut off. Put fuel in it.As far as aftermarket, i have no opinion or knowledge of the subject.

naumaa1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The shop I work at sells the plug and play remote start systems, installation takes less than 30 minutes and works off your factory keyfob. Only downside is it requires the main module to be programmed after installation and thats why its not really sold over the counter.

Philip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
I don't know if this helps anyone, but being a new 2017 Ram 1500 owner and having Auto Start REALLY IS AWESOME!

I'm gonna be 37 this January, and this is the first vehicle I've had with it, and wow it is great!

Just locking my apartment door, and hitting the auto start makes a world of difference once I enter my Ram even if it's only been running for 15 seconds. It works up to about 20 yards if I had to guess.

It's hot in Arizona, so this makes a HUGE difference.

Totally recommend it. :naughty:

Irongoats

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I got mine from Doug on eBay and have some minor issues. One, sometimes it turns off when I open the door (5 minutes or less) and this morning I was walking toward the truck after starting it and the unlock feature wouldn't unlock the truck haha. Other than that it seems to work alright.

NJ4X4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the Ebay one....hit lock button 3X to start. Install was relatively easy, but not completely plug-n-play. I think there were maybe a couple wires that I also had to splice into. For my year (2013), you had to partially install it, til a light flashes. Then you have to send it back to the Ebay seller and they complete the programming and then send it back. Works well for me. If you get in and hit the brake pedal, the truck will shut off. I just get in, insert the key and turn it to the run position. I friend of mine bought one from the same seller for his 2010.... that one was completely plug-n-play.

Damion

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just hit lock 3x truck will start. Open door and hit the brake then the truck will take over. No need to push the start button. ( at least on the ones I do work this way )

The climate will run on the last used setting.

lasher10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i6 Diesel
Has anyone tried the flashlogic or 12 volt solutions kit? I am looking to add one of these to my truck.

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Has anyone tried the flashlogic or 12 volt solutions kit? I am looking to add one of these to my truck.

I had the flashlogic originally, but returned it and got the dBall one from Doug on ebay. The dBall is completely plug n play, where the Flashlogic one wasn't, you had to splice some wiring.

lasher10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i6 Diesel
Who makes dball? Do you have a link to Doug’s store? Does it use the oem remote like the flash logic and 12 volt solution models?

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

lasher10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i6 Diesel
I messaged him but he hasn't messaged back. Does he take the original Directed kits and customize them to make them plug and play? Amazon has what appears to be the same kits for less.

clifford15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
I messaged him but he hasn't messaged back. Does he take the original Directed kits and customize them to make them plug and play? Amazon has what appears to be the same kits for less.
I would sugggest getting the kit from Doug on eBay. I t comes complete with a temporary password access to program the system and the interface cable. When I installed mine I used my netbook out in the truck to complete the install. It was easy. One thing to note: while on the remote start timer if you open a back door twice then open the front door it will shut off. I guess it would be the same for any combination of 3 door openings. Have not tried it. Also I have mine set for 15 second diesel preheat and during that time the door locks are not functional.

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

You can get the kit with or without the plug n play "T" kit.... it is made by the remote manufacturer.

You have to be careful, some sellers want you to do the first part of the install and then return the unit to have them finish programming it. Doug sends detailed instructions along with a temp password so you can be up and running same day. Lots of people over on the Challenger forum buy these remotes from him, I have one in my Challenger and it's been working great for 6 years.

lasher10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i6 Diesel
ok...sounds good. It looks like he also has a 5X10 kit that adds security alarm, shock sensor and siren. That kit is $250 and it comes with the flash programmer. Any thoughts on that setup?

N1ck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Following - I exchanged a few messages with Doug in August when I bought my truck. Now that is -30 I want it lol

Kap1

Ex Ram 1500 2013 owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Tundra
Engine
3.5 vvti
I've always had Clifford aftermarket alarm and remote start. Yes, I have to carry one more fob but I don't mind it as it extends range a lot and is a 2way alarm as well. I also got the add on so I can control truck via app and get email and text messages if alarm goes off, can also unlock and start from anywhere I got cell signal from. I would get it again for the extended range functionality.