4X4 Newbie

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ScottFL

U.S. Navy Gulf War Vet
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 RAM 1500 Laramie Longhorn 4X4
Engine
HEMI 5.7
So, not only am I in my first ever pickup truck I am in my first 4X4. I know it has the looked down upon BW 44-44 but it's what I got....

One thing I wish the truck had was a limited slip diff but it doesn't, so my question is, when driving in these crazy Florida rains should I engage 4X4 "auto" since it is only going to engage the front when the rear slips. Also is there a speed limit when in "auto" say 45 MPH?

From what I've read the "Low" should only be used for creeping through sand, muck or whatever.

Also, when I'm driving and it starts to really come down can I just press the "auto" button or should I be at a complete stop?

I've read elsewhere that some folks like to engage the "low" monthly, is that something that is recommended or just something the grandpa did and now they are doing it?

I seen some videos of RAM's on YouTube that make clunking noises when in low and some folks say to disengage the traction control and others say it is an added bonus and the clunk is the traction control braking one wheel to aid the 4X4...

Thanks for any guidance or opinions.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
4x4 auto is good for any speed. I use it every time it rains (Tampa FL) and it makes the truck so much more tame at lights and rounding corners without the rear end playing games.

You can switch to 4-Auto any time, stopped, backing up, 70mph on the highway.

4-low will make noise when it switches as its mechanically moving parts to gain the gearing ratio. If it doesn't make any noise, something is wrong. I cycle mine once a month, but its just habit.

MarshRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 SLT 4x4, 2012 ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What William said and not sure about the rain. I never engage 4x4 option, but I have 35 M/T's....

metalmancpa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This is a topic I was just thinking about the other day in the rain. Didn't have the manual handy (pdf format), and myself hadn't researched enough about when safe to switch to 4x4 auto, and about traction control in conjunction with running 4x4. The rear end had a little play in the pouring rain the other day. I assumed driving in 4x4 auto didn't matter for speed.

When going from 2WD to 4WD Auto or Lock, the manual says can be done in motion and suggests momentarily releasing the accelerator upon shifting. Manual doesn't say much about traction control.

Last edited:

Murphy Slaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Bighorn 4X4 Crew
Engine
I too would be curious if 4 Low should be engaged from time to time just as regular maintenance, I didn't see any mention in the owners manual, and it's possible I will never use it.

I never did on my '05 either, just 4 High.

Curlyp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
4x4 auto is good for any speed. I use it every time it rains (Tampa FL) and it makes the truck so much more tame at lights and rounding corners without the rear end playing games.

You can switch to 4-Auto any time, stopped, backing up, 70mph on the highway.

4-low will make noise when it switches as its mechanically moving parts to gain the gearing ratio. If it doesn't make any noise, something is wrong. I cycle mine once a month, but its just habit.

@OP, thanks for the topic as I have the same question.

When you say you cycle through it monthly, you press each one (Auto, low, lock, and 2wd)? Mine stays in 2wd all the time. In the winter I plan on switching to auto. Is it safe to drive in auto now, or should I stay in 2wd?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can drive in auto always. I've forgotten mine for weeks

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Curlyp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can drive in auto always. I've forgotten mine for weeks

Okay thank you. When I head out tomorrow I will switch it to auto. I can switch to any mode while driving correct?

cbsmith

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You need to be stopped and in neutral to shift into 4 Lo. Auto or 4 Lock can be shifted while the truck is moving.

metalmancpa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I played with 4WD Auto tonight. Coming from a Hemi AWD in my Chrysler 300, the only way to compare was to try auto. Shifted on the fly letting my foot off the accelerator as I changed until the light went solid 4WD Auto. Smooth. Having 4WD to accelerate does make a difference from 2WD - snappier.

bretttn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Same consensus here. I use auto in the rain on the fly without worries. I am watching for a reply on the "monthly" low. I can honestly say that I hope that is not the case as I haven't used it yet after 10 months 20k miles. Also low needs to be done​ in slippery conditions so that could be a pain at times if needed monthly

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Side note, if you dont need 4auto just put in 2wd, as you change instantly any time. 4auto launches are fun though, but need for the extra rotating parts if you dont need them.

OP
OP
ScottFL

ScottFL

U.S. Navy Gulf War Vet
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 RAM 1500 Laramie Longhorn 4X4
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Wow, thanks for all the replies.

I get off work in 20 minutes, gonna try a couple of those "snappier" launches on the way home...

Also real happy about being able to use the "auto" while its raining or even forgetting to switch back.

TruckNut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
One of the advantages of not having a hardcore 4WD locking setup. My last 4WD drive was an International Scout ll. You had to manually lock the front hubs before engaging 4WD.....twist 1/2 turn and use only when in slippery conditions. You could feel the axels bind if you made a U-turn, but that thing was a beast-all Dana components.

Curlyp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When I use 4x4 Auto in the rain or snow, will the dash give me some form of notification when all 4 wheels actually engaged?

Last edited:

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When I use 4x4 Auto in the rain or snow, will the dash give me some form of notification when all 4 wheels actually engaged?

No the 4x4 Auto will be illuminated the whole time, there will not be any indication what wheels are getting powered. The F-150 has an awesome display that shows you what power is going where, the Ram hasn't figure that out yet.

Mine in 4-auto I can hear when the fronts are engaged. It sounds like a turbine spooling up, its not loud enough that anyone else notices it, but I can. That noise can be lessened with some help of moving a hose and mount about a 1/4 inch but I kinda like the feedback. There is a low note that you will hear.

BiGMERF

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 SLT 4x4
Engine
v6
im also a forst time pickup/4x4 and also live in Florida.. I myself was wondering about this.. been raining hardcore in florida past few days.. but i haven used it, in fear of doing something wrong

Skerj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Auto is designed to be dummy proof. It's like traction control and will only engage when slip conditions are detected. You can leave it on forever with no ill effects. Although 'launching' in 4WD on pavement sounds like a good way for Ram to have to work more on the dummy proofing...

Also, 'lock' in the 44-44 transfer case reportedly still doesn't lock... Reason #1 for buying an Outdoorsman when they were still around new.

And lastly, FWIW, if you need 4WD in rain, you're probably going too fast...

Last edited:

GYSOT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Auto is designed to be dummy proof. It's like traction control and will only engage when slip conditions are detected. You can leave it on forever with no ill effects. Although 'launching' in 4WD on pavement sounds like a good way for Ram to have to work more on the dummy proofing...

Also, 'lock' in the 44-44 transfer case reportedly still doesn't lock... Reason #1 for buying an Outdoorsman when they were still around new.

And lastly, FWIW, if you need 4WD in rain, you're probably going too fast...[/QUO

That last paragraph made me laugh uncontrollably

Curlyp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

And lastly, FWIW, if you need 4WD in rain, you're probably going too fast...

How do I know which transfer case I have? Also how can I detect when it needs to engage all four wheels? Sorry I have no knowledge of 4 x 4 or even 4 x 4 auto.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodie1990