Advice on future buy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ramnewb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey, I am on the fence with a 2017 Ram Sport 4x4 purchase and would like yalls help. Details are as follows:

-leather seats
-rambox
-moonroof
-premium sound
-hemi
-navigation
-convenience group
-line x
-new nittos
-black edition
-sport hood
-less than 10,000 miles

I guess the original owner bought it and didn't like it. I got the guy down to 39K. I feel like that's a good deal. What do y'all think? It's a little more than what it wanted to spend, but it has everything I want. Funny how it always works out that way. I'm about to pull the trigger, but I wanted the pros opinion on here to ease my mind before I signed on the dotted line because I have never spent this much on a vehicle. Thanks in advance and have a great day.

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
whats the milage at on it?

considering near me i could get a brand new one starting at 40k (may not have all those options) i would hope to get it under 37k

keep in mind a '17 is almost a "year" old since '18 will be out soon

CrispyBacon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Go to a dealer and price a new one. That seems high for a used truck.

OP
OP
R

ramnewb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The mileage on the truck is 7300. I was planning on offering the 38k since it is used and the 18s are coming out. I priced a brand new one with the same options for 45K. If I waited, I might could find one a little bit cheaper at the end of year sale but who knows? I know I definitely want a sport model.

Trooper2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just got a 17 Big Horn with pretty much everything you have for 37,252. The sticker price was a little over 51K. With all the rebates avaiable for new ones you may want to consider that.

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Up here, the sticker on that tuck would be $57k. So under $40k with low mileage isn't bad.

I just bought a 2015 Big Horn without moon/sun roof, leather, but eveything else with 30k miles on it for $29k... So 10k more for a 2 year newer vehicle with more expensive options isn't bad.

I just suggest making sure it has 3.92 gears, AntiSpin rear differential. The gears will give it the 10k towing limit instead of the 7k-8k without.

Skerj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Still is too high for used. You should be able to find dealers pushing at least 10% off without even negotiating, depending on your location and rebates, for a new 2017. With 2018 so close, I'd bet you can do even better yet. I got my 16 Outdoorsman in early 2017 for 37k, plus tax fees etc., without trying terrible hard. MSRP was 46.5k. I've seen others post much better prices than that even.

Or if you're set on that truck, offer 32k, and let them come down in the middle. 10k miles is a strange mileage IMO. Makes me wonder what was wrong with or what happened to it.

avantiguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Here"s Dennis Dillion's list of 17 Sports. New & Used Ram For Sale in Caldwell | Dennis Dillon Check his prices new.

Have you checked carfax for service records. I bought my 14 Sport with low mileage two years ago and it's been a good truck but in the price bracket you are dealing with I'd want to know exactly why it's being sold.

Good luck.

OP
OP
R

ramnewb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I agree the mileage is weird on the truck. It makes me wonder if it was a repo and the dealer bought it at an auction. I found a new one msrp for 57 and the dealer is asking 47,600. I could probably get them down another few thousand. My main question is 5,000 enough discount to buy used instead of new. I am pretty much set on a sport model and I want the black ram package on it so my options are limited.

OP
OP
R

ramnewb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have checked the carfax and everything looks good on it. There is an anomaly of the truck being sold with 63 miles and two days later an oil change was reported with 4076 miles. I guess the carfax dates are messed up because it is almost impossible to drive that much in two days.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
A lot of those options ...especially the rambox ($1,300 option) might be hard to find out in the open market if you were set on them.

Another consideration is financing cost. How were you going to pay for it. If cash outright, then it's pretty simple, this is a good deal. But if financing through a private bank, how much do you need to finance and what total cost of borrowing (including hidden fees!), vs. if you buy brand new through Chrysler? It could be the case that financing through the dealer would be equivalent or even less by buying new. I'm sure you've given it some thought already though..

What's full insurance going to be on that rig with 'Sport' in the name?

Copperhead17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not sure about US but right now in Ontario they were offering 0% last time I looked, I was looking at new and used trucks when I got mine and was able to get 18k off of the MSRP with 0% so I went new.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Any idea what banks are charging these days (assuming good credit)?

I don't mean ultra-low internet low-ball quotes, I'm talking 'real' out-the-door cost including all fees?

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi

I don't mean ultra-low internet low-ball quotes, I'm talking 'real' out-the-door cost including all fees?

I have 4% on my truck with TD Auto Financing.

EDIT: I just got the truck 2 weeks ago, so this is about as current as it gets.

Last edited:

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I got 3% with TD back in 2014 when I bought new. Credit unions seem to always have the lowest rates but I've found banking with them annoying so I've never gone that route. I think with new or near new you can get rates down under 2% sometimes.

Not sure if towing is ever in your future but, if so, check the payload sticker for that truck. With all those options the numbers can scare you. A buddy just bought that exact truck without researching and his payload is a paltry 1070#.

Aside from Carfax I'd get a set of professional eyes on the truck since it's used and a big chunk of money. All kinds of crazy stuff can happen to a truck to end up for sale with that low mileage. Most things you or I would never spot. I have a buddy who does vehicle inspections and appraisals and it's amazing what he can see in just seconds. Water damage, past wrecks, etc. Carfax if okay but major things can slide by undetected.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I got 3% with TD back in 2014 when I bought new. Credit unions seem to always have the lowest rates but I've found banking with them annoying so I've never gone that route. I think with new or near new you can get rates down under 2% sometimes.

Thanks. Good to know.

Greywolf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

W

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

unxpctd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 PW 75A
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I got 2.75% on my 2017 Rebel 6 weeks ago.

You should be able to get a 2017 for 10K-11K off with rebates and incentives.

I was looking at a few Sports that were in the 43-44K range new.

7300 miles isn't alot but I would still try and get another 1K off that (as has been stated).

I love the Rambox and there are not too many out there to choose from...if the vehicle has all of the options you want...its up to you.

Good luck with your search and choice!

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would say 2-3% with good credit.

Keep in mind that with good credit you can negotiate your rate a little. EX know what CU's will give and use it to your ability.

However you will also see that many people are anti dealer financing why i dont know. I could care less who i make the payment to i will go with who will get me the lowest payment. why so many people care if a dealer gets paid from a bank.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
However you will also see that many people are anti dealer financing why i dont know. I could care less who i make the payment to i will go with who will get me the lowest payment. why so many people care if a dealer gets paid from a bank.

I'm skeptical of anything from a dealer for good reason :)

Mainly, just must be sure to negotiate the financing separate from the purchase price. Dealers build huge showrooms on people not understanding the difference. Combining numbers from financing, trade-in and new vehicle purchase is a salesman's wet dream. "Payment-centric" buyers come in and just get fleeced.

I go into the dealer knowing what I get for financing elsewhere and if they can match or beat it no problem.