The future looks pretty sad.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I actually read it on several law firm sites ( I don't do social media for news), it said as early as 2026.
I guess there's a company that already has the tech and it is as you describe as far as constantly monitoring you.
And there's this

“In the federal infrastructure law, there’s a provision that is going to require all new motor vehicles sold in the United States after 2027 to have what’s called in-vehicle alcohol detection,” said CT Department of Transportation spokesperson Josh Morgan."
“In our DOT commissioner’s vehicle, and what we’ll have in four DOT trucks in 2024, is a sensor that’s in the steering column which will pick up a person’s normal breathing, their exhaled breath being able to run the calculation,” Morgan said.
Morgan called it a passive system. The driver does not have to actively blow into a breathalyzer. Instead, the car will automatically test the driver’s blood alcohol concentration level. If the operator is at or above the legal limit of .08, the car will not turn on."

There's still legal questions to be ironed out and a system that would take control after the car is started seems like it would be a legal disaster.

So, I guess we will see in a few years. It's possible that the provision could be cancelled by future legislation.
We tick closer and closer to a 24/7 big brother state.

Last edited:

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I thought it was we were all innocent until proven guilty? Not the other way around. Let's make drinking and sales of alcohol liiegal instead of forcing every auto manufacturer and vehicle owner to suffer for others poor decisions. Jeeeeeeeez
They tried that once already with disastrous results lol.

OP
OP
Brandon-w

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
They tried that once already with disastrous results lol.
I mean I wouldn't say disastrous results. Farmers corn sales went way up. Sugar sales and copper sales up and people were sprouting into the middle class overnight without government assisnance. :anitoof:
Plus I mean with today's drug users and dealers on the go it'd make he gangsters of the passed prohibition look respectable.. That's my 2 cents tho.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
I actually read it on several law firm sites ( I don't do social media for news), it said as early as 2026.

Could be is a different thing than "Pretty sure it is law that all 2026 models have to have the breathalyzer to start the car "

They have 3 years, but nothing says they couldn't have it done in a week and then give the car companies 3 years to comply. So, technically a possibility. Just not a realistic one. What entity in any large organization, government or private, isn't going to spend the time and money allotted to a project even if the tech was that easy to analyze and test. Gov't is especially trying due to all the rules that are to supposedly ensure fairness in contracts. I won't sidetrack the conversation, but it is not nearly as easy as "lowest bidder" like people tend to think and there's often rules about how many people have to get a bite at the apple. It's...annoying. I get the why of it, mind you, and the good intentions behind most of it, but it does not lend itself to quick action. I've got very limited exposure to procurement these days, and I am very grateful for that fact after having more exposure a few years ago. :D

My guess is it will be like "Real ID" and keep getting pushed back, but eventually take effect. Maybe somebody in power over the purse strings will sack up and kill it, but like a hydra it'll rear back up. Hopefully after I'm dead and beyond caring.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I mean I wouldn't say disastrous results. Farmers corn sales went way up. Sugar sales and copper sales up and people were sprouting into the middle class overnight without government assisnance. :anitoof:
Plus I mean with today's drug users and dealers on the go it'd make he gangsters of the passed prohibition look respectable.. That's my 2 cents tho.

By disastrous, I meant on the government's end :)

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Could be is a different thing than "Pretty sure it is law that all 2026 models have to have the breathalyzer to start the car "

They have 3 years, but nothing says they couldn't have it done in a week and then give the car companies 3 years to comply. So, technically a possibility. Just not a realistic one. What entity in any large organization, government or private, isn't going to spend the time and money allotted to a project even if the tech was that easy to analyze and test. Gov't is especially trying due to all the rules that are to supposedly ensure fairness in contracts. I won't sidetrack the conversation, but it is not nearly as easy as "lowest bidder" like people tend to think and there's often rules about how many people have to get a bite at the apple. It's...annoying. I get the why of it, mind you, and the good intentions behind most of it, but it does not lend itself to quick action. I've got very limited exposure to procurement these days, and I am very grateful for that fact after having more exposure a few years ago. :D

My guess is it will be like "Real ID" and keep getting pushed back, but eventually take effect. Maybe somebody in power over the purse strings will sack up and kill it, but like a hydra it'll rear back up. Hopefully after I'm dead and beyond caring.
I should have phrased it differently, I was just pointing out that the provision was in that Act with a target of as early as 2026 and can come faster than we think.

Speaking of the Real ID, we need an ID for almost everything - except the one thing that we should need ID for, voting.
And a drivers license isn't good enough now for certain things, you have to have a Real ID vs. the fake ID that is a normal drivers license.
I'm not sure how the little bit of documentation made me more Real esp. since it is almost identical to what it takes to get a normal drivers license in my state.

JerryETX

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500
Engine
Hemi 6.4- 3:73- 6 Speed
I’m sure it’s been mentioned (I didn’t read all 33 pages) but the replacement cost for the batteries is supposedly going to be a substantial amount that many EV buyers either won’t consider or won’t be prepared to pay the expense. I’ve heard several stories about Prius cars being in the graveyard because the batteries need to be replaced and the cost is more than the car is worth.

Also it’s becoming clear EV vehicles eat tires fast. I guess the power being basically at the wheels results in faster tread wear.

They’re just not for me.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
The added weight also adds to the tire wear
apparently nascar didnt get this memo, so dumb nascar to unveil electric race cars at several events this year, including the first race now the clash. How in the world can you have a rascar that heavy? Going to ruin their brand, sad...

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
apparently nascar didnt get this memo, so dumb nascar to unveil electric race cars at several events this year, including the first race now the clash. How in the world can you have a rascar that heavy? Going to ruin their brand, sad...
200.gif

OP
OP
Brandon-w

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
Man, if they ruin Nascar I'll have to...change nothing. WTF would anyone watch someone else drive a really fast billboard around in a traffic jam? Is there no paint drying near by?
I mean I'm not a huge NASCAR fan i prefer drag racing but it's the principle of it. Like watching women's sports we all only watch it for one reason lol. You take the bounce away and it's just a bunch of girls playing a sport, kinda like when you remove the engine from the motorsports it just loses its luster.

Yardbird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Going too? They did for me years ago. I was NASCAR fan for decades. Been to Charlotte several times and Daytona.

They went woke and political, and I went bye. I haven't watched anything NASCAR in years.

Little France really messed things up when he took over.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I mean I'm not a huge NASCAR fan i prefer drag racing but it's the principle of it. Like watching women's sports we all only watch it for one reason lol. You take the bounce away and it's just a bunch of girls playing a sport, kinda like when you remove the engine from the motorsports it just loses its luster.
Nothing in the world like going to the drags, it is my favorite thing to do when I leave the house. But I dont follow it and never followed it, but I get into nascar hook line and sinker, it's something you follow. Now, if they go electric, I'm gonna have to find something else to do for 35 weekends.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
A 400 lap race has 1600 corners with cars going into them 200 mph give or take, that is 1600 corners of drama, and that doesnt even count the fun stuff you have in pit stops. It is a sport that represents people that look like me. A sport where dudes risk life and limb like nothing else. A sport centered around muscle cars, well you used to be able to buy. You either get it or you don't, but you cant watch it just wanting to see the end, if you do then you will never get it. Rivalries are forged in fire and blood. You watch cuz you cant wait to see your guy take out a rival and then the checkers like gordon done more times then I can remember, kenseth at Michigan, rusty at bristol, etc. Now Larsen owes some paybacks, cant wait to see it.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4

I have a finite amount of ***** to give, and "the principal " of a boring sport becoming more boring...meh, not a blip on my radar. If other people want to care about it, that's up to them, of course. Give as many of your ***** as you'd like, but it probably won't change a thing.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Just watched the 24 hours at Daytona, the whole thing with a couple naps. Those prototypes were pretty cool to watch. Would I want to sit and hear the breeze at a race? Nope, I will be at a few this year. But maybe they can figure something out.

OP
OP
Brandon-w

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
Nothing in the world like going to the drags, it is my favorite thing to do when I leave the house. But I dont follow it and never followed it, but I get into nascar hook line and sinker, it's something you follow. Now, if they go electric, I'm gonna have to find something else to do for 35 weekends.
My dream when I was younger was to become a top fuel drag tech. Oh how life gets in the way of dreams. I did build a truck for local drags tho. Made two passes and got kicked off becauae it was faster than their limit for a non caged truck. I never did cage it but hadota of fun on the street with it. ;)

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
We always go on fireday better known as friday nights, because it is the only time you get to see the fire out the pipes. Saturday and Sundays out west finish way before nightime. We all even have t shirts made up, fire day crew. Plus the cold tracks always produce the fastest times. I was there when the army car set the record, I don't know if he followed it up for the official record, but that was something. At the time 325 mph, and being that I was in the Army it was one fine day that I will never forget. Like twenty years ago I think. I don't even know what the record mph is now, I missed a couple years, we been trying to get it together but for one reason or another we missed it. Yeah, electric dragsters, count me out!! I mean the thunder you feel down in the soul is something else, that aint happening with no electric, lol.

OP
OP
Brandon-w

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
I totally agree! Electric would just be garbage got to smell the race fuel and alcohol! Feel every piston fire hit you in the chest. It's an experience like no other.

Being in the fireday crew would be wicked! I've never owned anything stock my entire life even my ATVs and sleds are tuned haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.