How much oil on 5.7L oil change.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

raven3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi RCSB Express
When changing the oil on the 5.7L, how much oil is actually required to properly fill to upper mark on dip stick, including volume of new oil filter?

Always had the oil changed at the dealer, so there is a record of the maintenance and supply the oil and filter.

In the past, the dealers were consistently over filling the previous 3.6L, saying the capacity is 6 quarts and so the dealer added exactly 6 quarts.
That is the full capacity of the engine, however not all of the oil drains from the engine including the oil filter.

homeguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
3.6 is 6

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

BigChief

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I did my first self change on my '14 Ram a few weeks back and I was super nervous even though it is a pretty mundane and risk free task. I dropped 7 quarts in with a portion of that set aside for the filter before I screwed it on. I took it for a rip and watched my oil pressure gauge, and temperature gauge while I ran it through the RPM range.

Seems to be just fine and even though my dipstick seemed to indicate that it was fuller than full, I think it was just residual oil that was collecting when I dunked it to check at the end of the change.

I just wish the oil filter was in a less tricky spot as I made a ****** mess! I should look into a remote filter if you guys reading this have any suggestions.

pickupman66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
mine seems to like 7.5 quarts or just a hair less than that. Pennzoil Platinum synthetic makes her happy.

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
You don't need to fill the filter. Think about it how many filters are out there, that are on there sideways. It's not going to hurt to do it and it's not going to hurt not to fill the filter.

RodRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
You don't need to fill the filter. Think about it how many filters are out there, that are on there sideways. It's not going to hurt to do it and it's not going to hurt not to fill the filter.
It doesn't hurt to put oil in the filter and its easy to do.

APFSDS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Seems to be just fine and even though my dipstick seemed to indicate that it was fuller than full, I think it was just residual oil that was collecting when I dunked it to check at the end of the change.

i don't know about anyone else, but, after i refill with oil, i start the engine up and let it run a minute or two and then check the oil level.

noupf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport 6'4 Bed
Engine
5.7 Hemi
i don't know about anyone else, but, after i refill with oil, i start the engine up and let it run a minute or two and then check the oil level.

7 quarts in and i do the same. The oil level is right in the middle of the dip stick...... and I have never heard of putting oil in the filter and then putting the filter on.....

APFSDS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i charge the filter, mostly because i get bored waiting for the drip. drip. drip. lol

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I filled the one on my 5.9 Cummins. I never have on a gas motor.

Quint

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Big Horn 1500
Engine
5.7L v8 eTorque
I've never filled a filter before installing. The closest I come is rubbing a little clean oil on the gasket. The oil will flow into the filter on its own so no need to juice it.

coldstream

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 QC Express
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The oil path is: pump, filter, then out to the bearings and top end. For the time that the pump is filling the filter there is no oil going to the bearings and the top end. That is why some choose to fill the filter. You can argue that it is insignificant and that residual oil clinging to the bearings and top end will protect them for that short time period. Some like to some don't. It doesn't take any time and it doesn't increase the mess on the 5.7 so I figure why not.

OP
OP
R

raven3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi RCSB Express
Took exactly 7 quarts of Pennzoil Platium full synthetic to the Dodge Ram dealer today based on the responses to my original question for the 2015 5.7L for its first oil change from factory fill. Also supplied my own Fram XG oil filter.

Dealer drained the oil from a pit & installed the new filter without filling it with any oil, then added the 7 quarts top side from one 5 gallon jug and two one quart bottles with a new cheap plastic funnel supplied by the owner.

The tech started and ran the engine at constant speed for about ten seconds and then stopped the engine and checked the oil level with dip stick.
The measured oil level was right even with the top marker hole on the dip stick.

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Took exactly 7 quarts of Pennzoil Platium full synthetic to the Dodge Ram dealer today based on the responses to my original question for the 2015 5.7L for its first oil change from factory fill. Also supplied my own Fram XG oil filter.

Dealer drained the oil from a pit & installed the new filter without filling it without oil, then added the 7 quarts top aide from one 5 gallon jug and two one quart bottles.

The tech started and ran the engine at constant speed for about ten seconds and then stopped the engine and checked the oil level with dip stick.
The measured oil level was right even with the top marker hole on the dip stick.

[emoji106]

That's how you do an oil change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CVX20

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
[emoji106]

That's how you do an oil change.

I'll bet the tech(unless he's just a quick lube guy)fills his own filter when he's changing his oil.Yes you can get away without filling it and you can get away with a filter without a check valve,but why would you take a chance on a dry start-up of your engine.How many threads have there been on ticking,knocking on start-up?You don't think there's wear on a dry start-up?Been a tech for a lot of years and if it's possible then my filter gets filled.:favorites13:

Btw The guy at the dealer is most likely flat rate(probably at most makes .5 hours for an oil change)so he has his pay check in mind when doing an oil change and not the wear on your motor.Just saying.

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When you take into consideration all of vehicles that have a filter sideways, upside down or use a canister filter, the are not that many that you can pre fill the filter on. I always do it when I can, it doesn't hurt anything, but I don't feel there is really a need to.

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
when you take into consideration all of vehicles that have a filter sideways, upside down or use a canister filter, the are not that many that you can pre fill the filter on. I always do it when i can, it doesn't hurt anything, but i don't feel there is really a need to.

Sent from my iphone using tapatalk
exactly!! And I bet you would have a hard time finding anyone at the dealer that fills the oil filter. Most of these guys in these forums don't even change there own oil.

Last edited:

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
exactly!! And I bet you would have a hard time finding anyone at the dealer that fills the oil filter. Most of these guys in these forums don't even change there own oil.

Nope. Most people just fill the Cummins filter because they are so big.