Why on earth are these two different heights?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

henrynlouisville

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 gas
OK, so I go out and look for a Ram 2500 4x4 that I can actually use for work. The first dealer only had the really tall ones that I find completely unusable for working out of. The 2nd dealer surprisingly had two 2500 diesel 4x4 right next to each other...one was the normal useless tall one and the other was the needed lower height. It was 55 inches off the ground all around the bed instead of the 58-60" of the tall versions.

These two trucks were sitting right next to each other. The stickers look identical. I simple cannot figure out the difference between them...meaning, if I were to special order the 55" model, how would I do it?

I asked the dealership the reason the height was different and they didn't know. They said that the Big Horn was just an appearance package over the SLT and that wouldn't account for the massive difference in height.

Does anyone know WHY the SLT is the normal usable height and the Big Horn isn't?

What would a person order IF they wanted to have the 55" height ?

SLT:
New 2016 Ram 2500 For Sale | Louisville KY

Big Horn:
New 2016 Ram 2500 For Sale | Louisville KY

SLT window sticker:
http://www.ramtrucks.com/hostc/getWindowStickerPdf.do?vin=3C6UR5DL1GG200164

Big Horn window sticker:
http://www.ramtrucks.com/hostc/getWindowStickerPdf.do?vin=3C6UR5DL0GG323678

2500s_01.jpg

<br>
2500s_02.jpg

<br>
2500s_05.jpg

<br>
2500s_06.jpg

<br>
2500s_07.jpg

OP
OP
H

henrynlouisville

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 gas
Can't really help buy I like the taller one better.

Yep, looking for a definitive answer on this one.
I'm not sure why anyone buying a work truck would ever what to buy one that is five feet tall at the tailgate where a 5'6" normal man simply cannot grab the miter saw.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Looks like the fronts are pretty level. According to the windownstickers they both have the active air so maybe ones in a load mode and the other isn't. Just my guess.

Csanders1992

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
They offer a auto leveling rear suspension on the new 2500s. That could be the difference. Only other difference I can think of would be gvwr rating

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
H

henrynlouisville

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 gas
Looks like the fronts are pretty level. According to the windownstickers they both have the active air so maybe ones in a load mode and the other isn't. Just my guess.

OK, I see 'Auto Level Rear Air Suspension' on the SLT but not on the Big Horn.

I see 'Ram Active Air' under the Cummins option but I assume that doesn't have anything to do with suspension

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
OK, I see 'Auto Level Rear Air Suspension' on the SLT but not on the Big Horn.

I see 'Ram Active Air' under the Cummins option but I assume that doesn't have anything to do with suspension

Yeah that's your difference. I missed it at first I took active air as the air ride. But you are correct the big horn doesn't have air suspension and that's your difference.

Edit: if I'm not mistaken they have a load/ kneel/ entry/exit mode I'm not sure what the call it but it's suppose to drop the back down to help load.

Last edited:

jasonw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8

They offer a auto leveling rear suspension on the new 2500s. That could be the difference. Only other difference I can think of would be gvwr rating

Yes, they both have active air, however, the black one (with the lower rear end) has the auto leveling rear suspension. If you look eight lines up from the bottom on the first page, in the right column, you'll see the $1595 auto level rear suspension option. The gray (granite crystal) one does not have it (not shown in window sticker). I am almost willing to bet money that that is the reason why the black one's rear end is lower than the other.

OP
OP
H

henrynlouisville

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 gas

Nope, measured the top of the front tire to the sheet metal and the SLT was 7.5" and Big Horn was 11"

HUGE Difference. I will just keep my 1998 5.9 long bed before I deal with that stupid height. I've got to many rentals to deal with tall trucks. :naughty:

CORRECTION: That quote above was off the rear tire to the sheet metal....sorry

OP
OP
H

henrynlouisville

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 gas
Yes, they both have active air, however, the black one (with the lower rear end) has the auto leveling rear suspension. If you look eight lines up from the bottom on the first page, in the right column, you'll see the $1595 auto level rear suspension option. The gray (granite crystal) one does not have it (not shown in window sticker). I am almost willing to bet money that that is the reason why the black one's rear end is lower than the other.

Ahh, so...the SLT has the 'Auto Level Rear Air Suspension' and it is set in it's lowest mode. ...and the Big Horn is simply sitting high on the normal suspension.
I measured a lot of trucks today, and that SLT was the only one that had the SAME measurement all the way around the bed. Now it's all making sense. I'm sold!

Awesome, so if I add that Air Suspension option then I can actually have a 2500 that I can work out of? Awesome! :favorites13:
It's a big deal to me to be able to grab an extension cord from the bed (on my tippy toes). I couldn't do that in this Big Horn height today = fail

Does this mean that I can order the fancier Big Horn, add the air suspension, and have a USABLE truck in the nicest package with cloth trim on the market?
(I hate the Fords. If I can't rest my elbow on the door and drive long distance...then why own a truck?)

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel

The "Ram Active Air" is the air intake for the Cummins. It changes where the engine draws air in from to aid with efficiency.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Ahh, so...the SLT has the 'Auto Level Rear Air Suspension' and it is set in it's lowest mode. ...and the Big Horn is simply sitting high on the normal suspension.
I measured a lot of trucks today, and that SLT was the only one that had the SAME measurement all the way around the bed. Now it's all making sense. I'm sold!

Awesome, so if I add that Air Suspension option then I can actually have a 2500 that I can work out of? Awesome! :favorites13:
It's a big deal to me to be able to grab an extension cord from the bed (on my tippy toes). I couldn't do that in this Big Horn height today = fail

Does this mean that I can order the fancier Big Horn, add the air suspension, and have a USABLE truck in the nicest package with cloth trim on the market?
(I hate the Fords. If I can't rest my elbow on the door and drive long distance...then why own a truck?)

You can order the big horn with the air suspension. Honestly the slt is the same thing with different badgeing. Comparing the window stickers the slt is loaded with all the options on the standered bighorns and then some.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
The "Ram Active Air" is the air intake for the Cummins. It changes where the engine draws air in from to aid with efficiency.

I saw active air and immediately went to air suspension a second glace I realized no upcharge and saw the load leveling and realised.

ColdCase

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There was a time when the Big Horn option package provided a nice option package for less money than optioning up a SLT. RAM sometimes have additional rebates on BigHorns and LongHorns that are not available otherwise. Thats how I ended up with a BigHorn, saved quite a few $$ at the time.

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I sold cars for a little while back in the day.

If I were to walk out to a customer, and they had a tape measure in their hand, it would be a 180° turn for me :)

I think you'll be fine with either one. Just adapt and you'll forget it is/was even an issue.

I guess it could save you from having to drop a tailgate, and slide something off.. But that's what? 30 seconds more?

I'd go with the one thats already lifted.. DD or work truck. (I'm not going to be the one making your payments though.)

Curious to hear the exact 100% answer to this issue.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
That is a good question, I have a older Big Horn of the taller variety and it is a pia to get in or out of even with steps.

05christj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel

This is me!!! Not that I would ever buy a Ford but this alone is enough to keep me away.

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 CC 4x4, 72 D100, 73 D100, 01 RAM 2500 field truck
Engine
6.4 Hemi
reading throught the thread, kinda lost track if the shorter/lower truck has an air suspension, but if it does it may have been left in the alternate height mode. My rear air suspension lowers the rear a few inches when in alternate height mode. Now, I'm going back to drinking my laguanita's. Happy 4th everyone.

OP
OP
H

henrynlouisville

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 gas
This is me!!! Not that I would ever buy a Ford but this alone is enough to keep me away.

Yes, when I was shopping in 2012 I sat in everything. All the Ford models have a very wide drivers seating position and the drivers door is just to far away from the seat. Impossible for a normal height man to rest his elbow on the top of the panel while driving. This still is the #1 reason that I will never buy a Ford.

Heck, my 1998 Ram 1500 is huge inside and can easily sit three big men across the front seat, and I can rest my elbow all day long.

OP
OP
H

henrynlouisville

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 gas
reading throught the thread, kinda lost track if the shorter/lower truck has an air suspension, but if it does it may have been left in the alternate height mode. My rear air suspension lowers the rear a few inches when in alternate height mode. Now, I'm going back to drinking my laguanita's. Happy 4th everyone.

I measured the difference between these trucks in two places.
18" from the start of the bed behind the cab: 55" vs. 57 3/4"
center of tailgate: 55" vs. 59 3/4"

Gap from rear tire to bed sheet metal: 7 1/2" vs 11"

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodie1990