Why on earth are these two different heights?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
H

henrynlouisville

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 gas
I sold cars for a little while back in the day.
If I were to walk out to a customer, and they had a tape measure in their hand, it would be a 180° turn for me :)
I think you'll be fine with either one. Just adapt and you'll forget it is/was even an issue.
I guess it could save you from having to drop a tailgate, and slide something off.. But that's what? 30 seconds more?
I'd go with the one thats already lifted.. DD or work truck. (I'm not going to be the one making your payments though.)
Curious to hear the exact 100% answer to this issue.

I only buy 8' long bed trucks. I use it to work. I might load up the bed with dirt one day and the next have a compressor, ladder, miter saw, table saw, extension cords the next.
I am a man that is what used to be considered normal size: 5'6"
I simply cannot get my arm over the bed in order to grab a tool without standing on something or getting in the bed. (climbing in and out of a 8' bed all the time is not my idea of fun with my 45 yr old knees)

I love those wheel to wheel side steps on that SLT in the photos...but I should only have to use it IF I need to grab something in the center of the bed.

For me, trucks are for working and my m56x is for playing. The only person that could work out of that Big Horn are people over 6 feet tall. The average height of an American is 5'9"...so the engineers have reduced all new full size trucks in the industry to play trucks OR work trucks for the very small percentage that is over 6' tall.
(GM was the last manufacturer to have normal heights and then some Asian designer on their team went for a 'look' and raised them like everyone else)

I totally understand people liking the look of a tall truck or sitting high on the road...but these people don't work out of their truck, or they are not being honest with themselves. They like the look of the truck and ignore what their knees are saying "Look buddy, I know you think this truck is boss, but you have to use me for this step or bang me getting on/off this tailgate for every tool you need in this 8' bed. If you don't smarten up and lower this friggin' truck then I'll have no choice then to give up on you and send you in for a knee replacement. Now, is this extra 5" really worth it?"

OP
OP
H

henrynlouisville

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 gas
OK, my guess is that this unit was not taken out of Transport Mode when PDI'd by the dealer.
This SLT must be in Entry/Exit mode with the automatic load leveling disabled = AWESOME

Thank You Dodge! Finally a heavy duty truck I can work out of.
$1,595 is an absolute bargain.

Now, I've got to find a 2500 CCab Diesel long bed with air suspension.
Probably going to have to order that combo. :licklips:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9SqB4pN2hM#t=150.4302275

Ram Trucks Owners Service Manuals

From the User Guide:

2500-3500 AIR SUSPENSION SYSTEM

The air suspension system provides full time rear load leveling capability for all loading conditions including towing.

Description Normal Ride Height (NRH) - This is the standard position of the suspension and is meant for normal driving.

Trailer Mode (Lowers the vehicle approximately 1 in (25 mm) - This position will lower the rear suspension and provide load leveling for all loading conditions including towing a trailer. After the “ALT TRAILER HEIGHT” button has been pushed, it will blink continuously until the trailer height has been achieved. The system requires that the ignition be in the ON/RUN position or the engine running withzerovehiclespeedforalluserrequestedchanges.Aftertheengineisturnedoff, it may be noticed that the air suspension system operates briefly, this is normal. The system is correcting the position of the vehicle to ensure a proper appearance.

Trailer Decoupling/Unloading - The air suspension system will load level (lower/exhaust only) for up to 10 minutes after the vehicle is turned off. This allows for easy removal of a trailer and/or load from the back of the truck by maintaining the ride height. After 10 minutes you will need to turn the ignition to the run position for the air suspension tomaintainrideheight.Iftheairsuspensionsystemisdisabledusingthesettingsmenu (Tire Jack Mode, Transport Mode or Alignment Mode) the system will remain disabled whenthevehicleisturnedoff.Reactivatingtheairsuspensioncanbeaccomplishedvia the settings menu or driving the vehicle above 5 mph (8 km/h) for Tire Jack Mode or Alignment Mode and 16 mph (26 km/h) for Transport Mode. NOTE: While Loading,engine must be running for air suspension to maintain the ride height. Refer to your Owner’s Manual on the DVD for further details.

Air Suspension Modes
The Air Suspension system has multiple modes to protect the system in unique situations:

Tire Jack Mode
To assist with changing a spare tire, the air suspension system has a feature which allowstheautomaticlevelingtobedisabled.Referto“ElectronicVehicleInformation Center (EVIC)/Driver Information Display (DID)” in “Understanding Your Instrument Panel” in the Owner’s Manual on the DVD for further information. NOTE: This mode is intended to be enabled with engine running.

Transport Mode To assist with flat bed towing, the air suspension system has a feature which will put the vehicle into Entry/Exit height and disable the automatic load leveling system. Refer to “Electronic Vehicle Information Center (EVIC)/Driver Information Display (DID)”in“UnderstandingYourInstrumentPanel”intheOwner’sManualontheDVD for further information. NOTE: This mode is intended to be enabled with engine running.

Wheel Alignment Mode Before performing a wheel alignment, this mode must be enabled. Refer to “Electronic Vehicle Information Center (EVIC)/Driver Information Display (DID)” in “Understanding Your Instrument Panel” in the Owner’s Manual on the DVD for further information. NOTE: This mode is intended to be enabled with engine running. Protection Mode In order to “protect” the air suspension system, the vehicle will enter

Protection Mode when the payload has been exceeded or load leveling cannot be achieved. Refer to “Electronic Vehicle Information Center (EVIC)/Driver Information Display (DID)”in“UnderstandingYourInstrumentPanel”intheOwner’sManualontheDVD for further information. NOTE: This mode is intended to be enabled with engine running.

Skrap

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie MegaCab 4x4
Engine
Yep, looking for a definitive answer on this one.
I'm not sure why anyone buying a work truck would ever what to buy one that is five feet tall at the tailgate where a 5'6" normal man simply cannot grab the miter saw.

Dare I say a normal man is not 5'6' tall. :crazy::roflsquared: There are other solutions for height-challenged. Step stool, small ladder, your wife could reach in and grab it for you???

J/K. Only playin':):doh2::doh2:

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I only buy 8' long bed trucks. I use it to work. I might load up the bed with dirt one day and the next have a compressor, ladder, miter saw, table saw, extension cords the next.
I am a man that is what used to be considered normal size: 5'6"
I simply cannot get my arm over the bed in order to grab a tool without standing on something or getting in the bed. (climbing in and out of a 8' bed all the time is not my idea of fun with my 45 yr old knees)

I love those wheel to wheel side steps on that SLT in the photos...but I should only have to use it IF I need to grab something in the center of the bed.

For me, trucks are for working and my m56x is for playing. The only person that could work out of that Big Horn are people over 6 feet tall. The average height of an American is 5'9"...so the engineers have reduced all new full size trucks in the industry to play trucks OR work trucks for the very small percentage that is over 6' tall.
(GM was the last manufacturer to have normal heights and then some Asian designer on their team went for a 'look' and raised them like everyone else)

I totally understand people liking the look of a tall truck or sitting high on the road...but these people don't work out of their truck, or they are not being honest with themselves. They like the look of the truck and ignore what their knees are saying "Look buddy, I know you think this truck is boss, but you have to use me for this step or bang me getting on/off this tailgate for every tool you need in this 8' bed. If you don't smarten up and lower this friggin' truck then I'll have no choice then to give up on you and send you in for a knee replacement. Now, is this extra 5" really worth it?"

America was built on 5". Jk but I had to. You are correct and make good points. I happen to be 6ft and change so don't think about some of this stuff at my age. When I am 50 plus and arthritis hits I bet I will wish I had.

OP
OP
H

henrynlouisville

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 gas
Dare I say a normal man is not 5'6' tall. :crazy::roflsquared: There are other solutions for height-challenged. Step stool, small ladder, your wife could reach in and grab it for you???

J/K. Only playin':):doh2::doh2:

HA. Well, the average height of an American male is actually 5'9"
So, you are at least four inches above normal and above most.

Inches High ~~ 18" from cab ~~ Tailgate

1998 Ram 1500 4x4 52.5 55
2016 Nissan Titan Cummins 56.5 57.5
2016 Nissan Titan Gas 57.25 58
2016 Ford F150 Ecodiesel 55.75 58.5
2016 Ram 1500 4x4 laramie 54.5 56.5
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 duelly 56.5 59
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 wo/air suspension 57.75 59.75
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 with air suspension 55 55 trailer mode
2016 GMC 4x4 Denali Crew Cab 57 58.625
2016 Chevy 3500 Duelly Long Bed 56.25 58.25
2016 Chevy 1500 4x4 53.5 54.625

Iron Outlaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Sounds like you need a cargo trailer. Then you don't have to be stretching for those tools. We have a 16 foot v nose and I'll never work out of a bed or van again.

OP
OP
H

henrynlouisville

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 gas
Towing Specs look weird

I'm just wondering if anyone knows why the tow rating on a 2500 Diesel Mega Cab 4x4 is only 15,540 ?

Looking at the brochure has every other configuration between 17,030 and 17,980...heck, even the 4x2 Mega Cab says 17,170

This makes no sense to me. Is it a typo?