2017 6" lift questions!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zkrausz27

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2017 1500 that im looking to do a 6" Rough Country Lift on. Ive been talking to a couple people about it and this is what they are telling me.

As well as the lift, one person told me I need to put in new gears. I called around, and a couple places told me they dont do the gears because "you cant" on a 2017...

Another said i need to do gears and drive shafts...

I know that with modifying, there is always a chance to break something, but im just wondering if yall had and info on what i would need to do, in order to get the lift on, and not have to worry too much about stuff breaking.

Thanks!

The DodgeFather

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

I have lifted 4 trucks and never had to change gears . If you stick with 35s you should be fine imo . As with anything , everything has the potential to fail whether stock or modified . Buy a Quality suspension lift . And most importantly have a reputable 4x4 shop install and you will be fine . Oh and I have had 2 rough country lifts on two separate 1500s and absolutely loved them . Just upgrade to bilstein 5100s cause the shocks in some kits just don't do the job and with 5100s they are adjustable and give ya a little extra .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

muddy12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The need to swap gears is based on the size of tire that you want to run, and what gears you currently have.
If you are only going to run a 35" tire, aren't going to tow anything, and have the lower of the factory offered gears, then you may be fine without swapping gears.

As far as drive shafts go, the rear will be fine, and the lift kit should come with a spacer for the front.

As an example, I have a 2012 with a 6" RC lift, running 35" x 12.50's.
the drive shafts and gearing are stock.
There is a slight drop in "off the line" performance (that's what changing gears fixes). However, for me, it wasn't a big enough change to justify the cost of changing gears.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As well the 4x4's suck so bad to change the front gears. As they are welded you need to change the entire front assembly. It gets expensive real fast. I wanted to change gears as well, till I realized I can nearly supercharge my truck for the cost of the front and rear gears to be properly swapped.

OP
OP
Z

zkrausz27

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have lifted 4 trucks and never had to change gears . If you stick with 35s you should be fine imo . As with anything , everything has the potential to fail whether stock or modified . Buy a Quality suspension lift . And most importantly have a reputable 4x4 shop install and you will be fine . Oh and I have had 2 rough country lifts on two separate 1500s and absolutely loved them . Just upgrade to bilstein 5100s cause the shocks in some kits just don't do the job and with 5100s they are adjustable and give ya a little extra .

I was thinking about doing the RC 6" lift, its has the option to upgrade to the lifted front struts, is this a must? I mean its only a extra 200 bucks, just wondering id its a waste of money

OP
OP
Z

zkrausz27

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The need to swap gears is based on the size of tire that you want to run, and what gears you currently have.
If you are only going to run a 35" tire, aren't going to tow anything, and have the lower of the factory offered gears, then you may be fine without swapping gears.

As far as drive shafts go, the rear will be fine, and the lift kit should come with a spacer for the front.

As an example, I have a 2012 with a 6" RC lift, running 35" x 12.50's.
the drive shafts and gearing are stock.
There is a slight drop in "off the line" performance (that's what changing gears fixes). However, for me, it wasn't a big enough change to justify the cost of changing gears.

I only wanted to do a 35, but i did wanna tow a little. Not all the time. Sometimes i tow my cousins 24' skiff. Is that too much, would i need to do gears then?

muddy12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

I only wanted to do a 35, but i did wanna tow a little. Not all the time. Sometimes i tow my cousins 24' skiff. Is that too much, would i need to do gears then?

Should be ok for occasional towing. I have a 6' x 12' trailer that I use for hauling lumber, shingles, other building materials, lawn mowers, and fire wood. My truck handles it just fine. I've also pulled a tandem axle equipment trailer with a large skid loader on it a time or two, and had no problems.
I'd say, do the lift and tires, and see how it does, then decide if you want/need to do gears.

Mennis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 15 Sport 4x4. Out of the dealership I installed a 6 inch pro comp and added 35x12.50x20s.

After driving it for months with 3.21 gears and getting horrible mileage and having the 8 speed transmission with only 7 available gears I decided to re gear.

The breaking point is when I towed an empty 12 ft trailer 400 miles on highway at 9 miles per gallon.

I purchased the rear 3.92 from moes and ordered an entire front diff from an online salvage yard for 600.

I paid about 350 labor to have the rear changed at a local 4x4 shop and I changed the front out myself in about 3 hours .

The 3.92s felt so good with the 35s I bought 37 x13.50 Nittos the following month.

The 8 speed gives plenty of low end torque.

The 3.92s allowed the 8th speed to work again because its reducing the amount of force needed to turn the tires and Im not getting into an argument on here but the truth is my mileage is noticeably better with the 3.92s.

I would advise to verify which gears you have and if they are the 3.21s plan on buying new ones. My truck felt completely different after.