Advice needed on level kit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CFDRAM4257

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have 2013 cc 2x4. I would like a leveling kit I got quoted by a shop 400 for install part and alignment. He said it's a 2.5 spacer that goes on top of the strut. He said it will retain factory ride.

I have been reading and getting mixed reviews about ride quality. This is not a spacer that goes on the coil. He said that the strut will come out and then a spacer and then put the assembly back in.

Advice is greatly appreciated!

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
I'm not familiar with the strut extension method, but I had coil spacers on a 2009 Chevy that worked fine. Word is that they don't get along with Rams though. On my new Ram, I went with Bilstein 5100's that I just installed today. So far, I am not disappointed. The truck handles a little better and is more responsive. They are a little stiffer, and you can feel the road more than the factory struts for sure. Everyone here recommends against any type of spacer for the front. I've read time and time again that they ruin upper control arms. Go with the Bils and set them at 2.1 for the most problem-free application.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brandonjansen

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited
Engine
6.7 Cummins - Tuned and Deleted
Whoever you were talking to is someone that you shouldn't talk to anymore. Your truck doesn't have front struts; it has separate coil springs and shocks. You'll want coil spacers and longer shocks to lift up the front end. CST or Maxtrack is what you'll want to look at.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Wow Brandon beat me to it ! Sir you have a 2x4 ... did the guy you talked to know you do not have a 4wd ?
Listen to Brandon above .

If your capable , do the work yourself , you will feel better about it and get your alignment @ a diff shop !

satxwy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
Not the OP but on the same topic...

I've installed coil spring spacers on an '98 GMC before (old body style). That was a nightmare, just incredibly difficult and dangerous, even with the proper coil spring compressor. It would have been far easier just to do lift spindles. When looking through instructions for Ram coil spring spacers, they don't mention anything about using a spring compressor, and say to do it by just unbolting the lower control arm at the frame and slowly lowering with a jack, and installing them in reverse fashion. Is installing coil spring spacers somehow easier on a Ram than my prior experience? I would think coil bucket angle could be a factor. Anyone have any first hand experience putting these in?

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Not the OP but on the same topic...

I've installed coil spring spacers on an '98 GMC before (old body style). That was a nightmare, just incredibly difficult and dangerous, even with the proper coil spring compressor. It would have been far easier just to do lift spindles. When looking through instructions for Ram coil spring spacers, they don't mention anything about using a spring compressor, and say to do it by just unbolting the lower control arm at the frame and slowly lowering with a jack, and installing them in reverse fashion. Is installing coil spring spacers somehow easier on a Ram than my prior experience? I would think coil bucket angle could be a factor. Anyone have any first hand experience putting these in?

I've never installed spacers on a Ram , and I don't really recommend it , but if your gonna go with spacers the instructions you mentioned above , I'd say is correct .

I installed Bilstein 5100s for my Level (4X4)., with that said , I removed my OEM coil and shock assy ( no coil compressor required ) just loosen the upper nut on anti sway bar , disconnect the steering rod assy and separate the upper control arm ball joint . At this point remove 3ea retaining nuts holding the coil spring seat on top and by hand push the lower control arm assy down a bit and remove the coil & shock as an assembly .
I'm assuming you then would install the spacer kit above the OEM coil and shock assy and reinstall the previously removed OEM coil & shock assy ??

Not positive on the above instructions but I am positive no coil spring compressor is required to remove the OEM Coil & shock as an assembly .

This is a picture of my OEM coil &shock assy removed ( no compressor required ) as you can see my UCA is removed as well , this however is not required for removal of the coil assy . I was also installing Mevotech UCAs.

73d792cc4e036190f2ecf6bf173b5120.jpg

Hope this helps .

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

CFDRAM4257

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok thanks guys. I was a little confused when he said that. I'm going to call him back tomorrow and just confirm he knows I'm talking 2wd. Thanks.