AMP Research Powersteps PICs/Video

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

12TrueSport

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 True Blue Pearl Sport
Engine
HEMI 5.7
First of all a huge shout out to Moe's Performance for yet another great ordering experience. The best price around and the quickest delivery!!!

These steps are pricey but well worth it. You can walk on the entire step, they drop low enough for the vertically challenged, and they tuck in far enough to make no impact on ground clearance. I've had these on all my trucks and it's still one of my favorite mods.

The installation is pretty straight forward. I think most anyone can do it if they take their time, get all the tools together and don't rush it. It took me a full day with beer breaks etc. I started at 11:30 and finished around 6:00.

For the wires you can see I mounted the controller to the right of the battery close to the firewall. It was an easy trip for the driver side wiring down by the fender. Passenger side wiring went across in the fire wall insulation and then down with another wire band. You can hardly notice it.

I'm not sure if I like the led's yet but they do look cool at night. They are the same color as the approach lights in the mirror which is neat.

Attachments

• AMP 1.jpg
    AMP 1.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 70
  • AMP 2.jpg
    AMP 2.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 177
  • AMP 4.jpg
    AMP 4.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 107
  • AMP 5.jpg
    AMP 5.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 84

argray90

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Wow those looks awesome, I really like them if I was going to do steps I would consider these over any I have seen.

Vancouver604

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L V8
how do they work when the back doors open?

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
they open when any door is opened.

Weird placement on the LEDs.....mine went on the brackets, tucked away when the steps retracted.

smoothee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nice! No issues with clearance I take it? Don't mean to hijack, but how did you drill the holes for the rivets on each bracket?

smoothee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Weird placement on the LEDs.....mine went on the brackets, tucked away when the steps retracted.

Not sure if it was changed, but the instructions that came with my steps said to put them there too, but I like your idea of putting them on the brackets.

OP
OP
12TrueSport

12TrueSport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
how do they work when the back doors open?

If you look at the video, it was the passenger back door I opened. One reason they have a two second delay in going up is for the extra doors.

Last edited:
OP
OP
12TrueSport

12TrueSport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7

I agree JJ.
I went with the instructions and am not crazy about them being there but they hit(light wise) the step perfectly. I will probably mod this design soon.

OP
OP
12TrueSport

12TrueSport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Nice! No issues with clearance I take it? Don't mean to hijack, but how did you drill the holes for the rivets on each bracket?

No clearance issues at all. The upper holes on the motor and linkage brackets were predrilled. The only holes I had to make were on the support brackets that the motor and linkages attach to. The instructions provided a pretty simple process to do it.

smoothee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah I gotcha, I just couldn't get a drill in there to drill the holes in the sheet metal for the rivets. So was just wondering if you had used a 90 degree drill or something?

OP
OP
12TrueSport

12TrueSport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Yeah I gotcha, I just couldn't get a drill in there to drill the holes in the sheet metal for the rivets. So was just wondering if you had used a 90 degree drill or something?

My right angle drill was too long, but I had a small craftsman drill that did the trick. It was crowded up there that's for sure.

smoothee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My right angle drill was too long, but I had a small craftsman drill that did the trick. It was crowded up there that's for sure.

Yeah I hear ya. I'll probably have to go buy something smaller then. At the time, just figured the rivets were mostly for a little extra support, so just skipped them. Hopefully that'll resolve my steps jamming issue. Thanks, nice truck too, btw.

Cactuar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Express Crew
Engine
Hemi 5.7L MDS VVT
I agree JJ.
I went with the instructions and am not crazy about them being there but they hit(light wise) the step perfectly. I will probably mod this design soon.

I had the same issue.

I ended up putting them right up against the pinch weld corner that you drilled the wire grommets for, pointing down. Lighting is not as good as your location, but the wide beam LED's still light up the back half of the step when deployed.

OP
OP
12TrueSport

12TrueSport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I had the same issue.

I ended up putting them right up against the pinch weld corner that you drilled the wire grommets for, pointing down. Lighting is not as good as your location, but the wide beam LED's still light up the back half of the step when deployed.

I have some lights from another set of steps before they were included in the on harness. I have a few chances to screw things up and still have lights left over so we'll see what happens.

BAILEY1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 RAM 2500
Engine
Dat Cummins!
I had the same issue.

I mounted mine in the same place. Next to the pinch weld and about a 1/4 inch away from the hole drilled for the LED. Works great. Lights up the steps every time.

Musclemckeester

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
I had the same issue.

I mounted the LEDs here as well. They remain mostly hidden this way, but still do a nice job of lighting up the step at night.

fastNugly

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Dodge Ram Sport CC
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Love these steps too!
Great pics