OEM blacked out projector headlights issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Eestee70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
So...I was washing my truck(2015 1500 sport) and noticed a spot melted on the ridged bezel around the projector lens so I looked at the other headlight and it was on that one too. I took it to the dealer and showed them , at first they tried to blame it on me and say I used aftermarket bulbs and caused the melting. Needless to say I never touched the bulbs and now I have new headlight assemblies.

Posting this thread so anyone who has the factory blacked out projector lenses can check them out and if you have this issue you can get it addressed assuming you're still within your factory warranty.

Also just a side note: if you get yours warrantied they don't come all black anymore. The bezel is now chrome. I'll post a pic.

Attachments

• IMG_0318.jpg
    IMG_0318.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 120

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
This is common.....

In 2015 Ram came out with the black shroud lights. They melted.....and they where pulled from the parts catalog with a note "replace in pairs, with part @#%Q#$%@#%" - which is the chrome shroud ones.

Sucks....they looked nice!

mpress2570

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah this is already a known problem for most. The fix is the chrome bezels the all black got too hot so they had to do away with them. Glad they replaced them for you. Personally I like the chrome better because they give the assembly more definition. Especially from farther away. The all black ones looked too plain from far away. You had to be close to see any design features

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Rebel "Mopar 16" Special Edition
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yup. The projector lens acts like a magnify glass and the sun actual melts the black shroud. I'm guessing the chrome one just reflects that energy away.

grozier

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
It's not just the black shroud that does that. I have the the total blacked out lights they melted and the dealer couldn't find a replacement so I told them to put them back on. I painted them silver and it's now turned them brown where the deformed area is at. I think they used a different plastic on these.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

rango10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yup yup. I was mad when the dealer replaced my black shroud headlights with the chrome ones. I really liked the appearance of the all black

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk

Warren5

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Mine came with chrome and I took them apart and painted them myself. I was putting in leds and decided that the chrome had to go. Profile pic isnt updated though

Cheese

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sorry to revive an old thread but does anyone know what the recall notice is, or if one was issued? Mine are melting and I am well within my factory warranty but, as usual the dealership is playing dumb and stating they have no knowledge of any problem in the system.

savage_46

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 swapped
No recall was issued. There might be a a tsb and/or star case on it. I'm pretty sure there's also a note in the parts catalog about replacing in pairs.