Folding Rear seats in a quad cab??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Srich1845

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I ordered my build sheet for my truck a couple days ago (finding out i have the 32 gallon tank explains why I have to put so much gas in it) but the sheet says:

"CFMP Rear Folding Seat"

I didn't think Quad Cabs had folding rear seats, and for the life of me I can't figure out how to do, which makes me wonder if the build sheet is wrong, or if I'm just an idiot. Anybody else have this?

srqFF

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Mine fold up? Just lift up on the corner of the rear seat, and it'll expose the fold flat floor also. You might have some push buttons securing the seat to the floor.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
yea since they flip up maybe that is considered folding rear seats.

OP
OP
S

Srich1845

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok, I guess I was just wishing that they folded down. I don't have the fold flat floor, so the area under the seat isn't real good at holding boxes or other relatively normal shaped items, and if that back of the seats folded down that would be nice. Thanks for the responses though!

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
It was easy to make the 3rd gen seats fold down, but that doesn't mean that you can't make modifications to make your seats fold down

OP
OP
S

Srich1845

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Upon using the almighty search function, I find that it is possible, but not stock on my truck. I pulled the back seat off and found a couple ways to make this happen that I came up with, and one that I pulled off of another thread. Here are some pictures I took of the seat and how it is attached.

The seat laid down:
IMAG0104-1.jpg

The Hook on the back of the seat:
IMAG0102.jpg
and the attachment point on the wall:
IMAG0103.jpg

The first solution I found off of another thread is to put spacers under the seat so that when the rear seat is folded up, the Hook comes out of the metal loop it attaches to. This sounds like a perfectly good plan to me, until I want to just raise the seat bottom up, at which point I am thinking neither part of the seat will stay up. Plenty of solutions i can think of, such as a latch to hold the seats up, but what are y'all thinking?

Second is either cut more off the Hook off and attach a sleeve around what remains of it attached to a pull tab that will allow me to unhook it, or cutting the Metal Loop itself and then doing the same type of thing. Thoughts?

A diagram of that last part:

SpringAttachment.jpg

The Black Part is the Hook that is already there
the Red part is the sleeve
and the blue part is the spring

Thoughts?

The first way is by far the simplest and least invasive and I might try it just try for the hell of it anyway, due to MDF being so cheap

garner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can still raise the bottom of the seat with spacers installed without the back falling forward

TexasRammer

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would try the first way with spacers. If the seats are like the 3rg gens, they will still stay up when the latch isnt in. On the 3rd gens the hook on the wall is bolted and if you flipped it upside down you could fold the seats down, but on the 4th gen I believe the hooks are welded in.

RevRonnie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Im interested in doing the same thing. Please let me know what you end up doing.

Ichibaninu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
With the spacers that came with my fox box you can fold the back of the seat down. It will only "come loose" by lifting the bottom of the seat about half way up since this also lifts the back of the seat up, then you can lay the back down. It is a good place to store stuff like jumper cables and such. If I remember correctly the spaces for the fox box are 5/8. Hope this helps

jlb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
I am wanting to do this as well, but I noticed that my fold flat floor storage mount sits on top of the seat mounts. If I raise the seat, I think I have to raise the fold flat thing as well which means it would no longer have anything to rest on when I fold it out.

Any ideas?

ram-head

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Another minimally invasive way is to buy the fold flat foor I'm selling? lol Let us know what you end up doing...I'd like to have my seat backs fold down, too. I put subs under the seats, so that area is useless now. lol

jlb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
With the spacers, were they just thick washers under each bolt, or were they big rectangular spacers with a hole for each bolt?

Cynix

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
With the spacers, were they just thick washers under each bolt, or were they big rectangular spacers with a hole for each bolt?

I'd like to know this too!

jlb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
So, I pulled the smaller seat in the back to see what kind of value/difficulty trade off there would be to this mod. I found little space back there. I was hoping for just enough room to mount a gun rack cross ways in the truck, but to no avail.

Depending on what you are planning to store there may be some value in this for you as the difficulty is very low. If you are planning to store a couple handguns, maybe some envelopes with valuables/cameras/etc. while you are on a trip this could be very beneficial. If you hope to store jumper cables/tow straps/much of anything else you will be thoroughly disappointed.

How to do it... That is the question indeed. I have some 3/4 in aluminum plate stock that I am going to cut into 1.5" x 13.5" strips, and drill some holes in, but I am not going to do it today lol. If you could find steel tubing that is 1.5" x 0.75" x long you could probably cut it into nice lengths with a reciprocating saw, and then drill 2-3 holes per piece. I would imagine including fab time if you have all your tools ready to go will be 2 hrs +/-.

Just my update lol.

kkreit01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The spacers that come with the sub boxes are made of MDF. MDF may work fine, but I'd for sure seal/paint them. MDF + moisture does not work well.

jlb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
I wonder if that would have issues with compression over time... Certainly would be nice to work with though lol.