Rear Seats Fold Down?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

platoon2063

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v6 eTorque
I know Im new to Ram but for the life of me I cannot get the rear seats to fold down. I have owned over 20 vehicles in my life and have never had this much difficulty folding rear seats down.
BTW, I have watched 10 YT videos and not one was helpful.

The truck is a 1500 bighorn

markabby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Fold down or fold up? Mine fold up and we mostly leave them up unless we have riders. Usually just a good tug brings the seats back down.

The seat backs do not fold down..at least as far as i know...mine stay up. my wife keeps the seats up because she keeps a cooler back there for when she goes grocery shopping. lol

OP
OP
P

platoon2063

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v6 eTorque
Fold down or fold up? Mine fold up and we mostly leave them up unless we have riders. Usually just a good tug brings the seats back down.

The seat backs do not fold down..at least as far as i know...mine stay up. my wife keeps the seats up because she keeps a cooler back there for when she goes grocery shopping. lol

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I meant the seat backs folding down. After I cussed, cussed and cussed some more, posted on here and looked at YT vids, I finally called the dealership.
It appears the RAM engineers may be book smart but lack much common sense. The failed to engineer the seat backs to allow them to fold down in this model.
I can understand if it was 1950 and this was a studebaker but this is 2023 and this is a $60k truck so, the FRICKIN seat backs should fold down. I digress.

1stindoor

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
'23 2500 MegaCab
Engine
6.4 Hemi
They fold down in the Mega Cab. Everyone else I know the bottoms fold up. I have also heard of the "hack," but not seen it in operation.

Redfisher1974

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

4th gen not sure if good for 5th gen?

markabby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
when i was installing my rear dash cam wire, i tried to open the backs up to run the wire. unfortunately they didn't move. lol

but, i just read that some models with a center console that pulls down, there's a lanyard or a rope/string, that, if pulled the seat backs will come off. who would have known. i'm going to check out my limited........

OP
OP
P

platoon2063

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v6 eTorque
For what I've seen, the Limited seems to have the strings on the backs off the seats. My question to the idiotic engineers. Why couldn't you just do that on all models? Geez!

markabby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i lowered the center console and i saw a black strap, so, naturally i yanked on it and nothing happened. With my luck if i pulled too hard something would have broke. I just left it alone.

OldManEdge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
I know Im new to Ram but for the life of me I cannot get the rear seats to fold down. I have owned over 20 vehicles in my life and have never had this much difficulty folding rear seats down.

Mine "fold up".

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
It's not really that big of a deal honestly... the seats fold up so that you can extend the bases underneath them to make a flat floor. That to me, makes more sense and is more usable than folding the seats down to reveal nothing but the back cab wall and 2" of space.

However, the hack is to shorten the hooks on the back of the seats so that when you lift up on the bottom seat it slightly raises the backs and causes the hook to disengage from the loop on the wall.

The engineers designed it exactly as they wanted it to work. None of my F150 rear seats folded down either. All folded up exactly the same way.

FYI - the Limiteds with the rear bench work exactly like the Bighorn and all others. Only the seat bottom folds up. The center console model might be different but I've never seen one in person to try it.

jimmyfjk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
The seat backs do not fold down on a ram. The seat bottom folds up.

2019RamInSC

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Alli

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

The back of the seats are hung onto back of the cab. I have mine out so I could replace the abither vents (sp) mounted in the cab that were leaking. So you know to remove seat have to unbolt all the base screws. Better have a breaker bar and be strong. They are locked tighted in. Then have. To lift/pick seat up to pull it off the hangers.

YammyMonkey

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 Laramie
Engine
Hemi
Puling the seats and trimming the hooks on the seat backs is pretty easy. Gives you a little more storage space.

SaltyDawg88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Here is the mod to make your rear seats fold down I did this on my 2016 1500. Its nice to have some additional storage behind the seats.

HRBuckster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’ve modified the rear seat hooks on my 2018 1500 and enjoy the extra space although small. I mount ham radios back there. A word of caution on shortening the hooks. Try not to break the white plastic insulator on the hook. Mine broke and now that seat rattles. I was very careful in cutting the metal part of the hook and thought it would’ve good to leave the white plastic a 1/8” longer. But the second time I closed the seat back, the plastic broke allowing the metal part of the hook to contact the rear wall loop it hangs on. I need to try to pad the loop (maybe a piece of rubber hose) to stop the rattle.
Good luck with your truck. Buckster

Jim113

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Longhorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 2020 Longhorn doesn't have the lanyard to fold down the rear seats but, they are heated and cooled and also have a recline function so that's probably why ...