Rear Seats Fold Down?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Grenadiers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I did the back seat mod on my 2019 1500 classic about 2 months after I purchased The Beast.

Found the hack on YouTube (several videos on there). Took about a half hour in total. Used my cordless Dremel tool with a cut-off wheel to shorten the hooks and a grinding stone to remove burs and put a bit of an angle on the leading edge to allow for smooth transition. I also used my air ratchet to remove the seat bolts (don't forget to use some blue licktite after).

You need to be precise in the cuts you make... Too long, and you'll be grinding off excess. Too short, and the back may not stay in place. Not to mention "loosing" that plastic spacer/guide...

Having all the right tools (and I think it took me longer to find all that I needed then it did for the actual mod) makes the job go a LOT smoother!

Oh, and there is one video on YouTube where the chap wasn't paying attention and actually cut into the fabric cover a bit. But then he was using a big-ass diegrinder/cut-off wheel to cut the hook down. Not that it was all that big a deal as no one will ever see it but you.

I LOVE having even that little bit of extra space, and the ability to fold the back down if I need it. But honestly, being able to use pretty much every square inch of space back there is GREAT!!

You'll be surprised at just what all you can place back there!!!

Last edited:

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Here's where to cut the hooks
Rear Seat Hook-Original.jpg
Rear Seat Hook-Modified-1.jpg
By the way. What some are calling a pull-down strap is an anchor point for baby car seats

Malodave

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Normal operation is that the bottom folds up. There is a small loop that can be pulled to release the back from the rear of the CAB.
I have done it in my 2021 Laramie CC.

Malodave

MikeF1952

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 2020 Big Horn the back seats fold up which I think is pure genius. Can store more stuff on the floor and don't get the seats dirty laying extra stuff on them. Dog likes it better also, as she has more room to roam on a level surface and her muddy paws don't matter.