Headliner replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

savage_46

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 swapped
I'm wanting to start planning out replacing my headliner & go full black interior. I know service info says that the windshield needs to be removed to do so. Is it possible to remove the rear window & fit it through there? My windshield is cracked (which I'm not ready to buy a new one yet) & I know a glass company won't want to remove it due to possible further damage. My rear defrost is partially inop, so I'll push for complete replacement with the truck being under one year old. I know it'll be a a tighter fit going through the rear, but is it possible?

deangtp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have been wanting to go all black too. I've googled and googled. I found one person who used the RIX(sp) clothing dye to just dye the headliner black. I also found in my search a guy did infact take his headliner out, no windows removed. He did however take out the seats and if I remember correctly, took the headliner out the driver rear door. It might have been on YouTube.

Found it.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DIyb9sE9nQ0

In the comments he says he took it out the doh. ✌️

57buick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L diesel
Im working on my interior right now. I took all the seats out and struggled but managed to squeeze headliner out the rear passenger door with some turning, spinning and a slight squeeze and it came out. Thought I was gonna break it but it squeezed out ok.

So now Im laying red and black leather on it today. Sewed a red strip down middle. The same way I had my seats done

Attachments

• headliner1.jpg
    headliner1.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 36
  • headliner2.jpg
    headliner2.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 37
  • headliner3.jpg
    headliner3.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 39

57buick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L diesel
I gave my a pillar covers to a local upholstery shop who is using my leather scraps to sew together a pillar covers. He will have to custom stitch them because of the OH **** handles on them lol

deangtp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You'll have to post up when your done. I'd like to see it when you're done.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
Never understood why ram did the black lower and then light tan upper color interiors. For years people have been switching to all black. I wish mine was all black but I don't want to go through all the hassles

57buick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L diesel
Got the main part of it glued, continuing to trim edges and holes out

Attachments

• headliner4.jpg
    headliner4.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 46
OP
OP
S

savage_46

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 swapped
Im working on my interior right now. I took all the seats out and struggled but managed to squeeze headliner out the rear passenger door with some turning, spinning and a slight squeeze and it came out. Thought I was gonna break it but it squeezed out ok.

So now Im laying red and black leather on it today. Sewed a red strip down middle. The same way I had my seats done

How much of a struggle was it to go through the door? I'm worried about creasing it.

I thought about dying it, but didn't know what to use & also worried about it looking good. If dying can come out looking good & even, then that's a pretty good savings.

57buick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L diesel
Certainly a pain. Had to remove all seats front and back. Yea it seemed like I was gonna bend it trying to maneuver it out the back door but once I squeezed it thru the door opening it slid out without actually creasing or anything. WE will see when I go to put it back in LOL Will be a week before I get some of the other pieces painted and have time to remove all the seats again

How much of a struggle was it to go through the door? I'm worried about creasing it.

I thought about dying it, but didn't know what to use & also worried about it looking good. If dying can come out looking good & even, then that's a pretty good savings.

OP
OP
S

savage_46

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 swapped
Certainly a pain. Had to remove all seats front and back. Yea it seemed like I was gonna bend it trying to maneuver it out the back door but once I squeezed it thru the door opening it slid out without actually creasing or anything. WE will see when I go to put it back in LOL Will be a week before I get some of the other pieces painted and have time to remove all the seats again

I'm curious to hear how it goes back in. Having pulled heads, trans, replaced harnesses; I know the pain & hassle between removing and installing. Usually in trying to remember how the angle was & getting routing correct.

EDIT: just to clarify, you do have a CC or QC right?

DERJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
Hemi 5.7

57buick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L diesel
Yea sound deadner is already in while I had all seats and carpets out. Floor to roof. You can see some of the progress on my thread for the Kenwood radio install and soon the 4 way active speaker system Im working on too

Even in a reg cab, at least one seat has to be pulled out, but it can be done. It goes back in easier, but the difficult part of the whole job for me was lining up all the screw holes, but it's definitely worth it...

While you have the liner down, you might consider putting in some sound deadener.

http://www.ramforum.com/f42/just_installed_suede_headliner_sound_deadening-87111/