Quick, I hope, question; Console removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AC54ME

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram 1500 Lone Star
Engine
Hemi
I have a Ram 1500 (SLT) with the center console (floor shifter).

I am installing heated seats, and from another post I was impressed with the location of the switches - they are mounted on the lower part of the console, both on the driver and passenger side.

Visually they would be in the front of the 'pockets' of the console.

Like this:

P1040398.jpg

P1040397.jpg

P1040401.jpg

My question: 1) how can I gain access to that area in order to drill the holes for the switches?, and 2) access necessary to install the wiring from the heated seats to the actual switches?

Anyone with other suggestions on the switch locations is welcome to chime in.

TIA

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I would say just accessing the drivers side from under the steering wheel would work. I did some work on my 2010 and there is plenty of wiggle room down there. You don't really need a switch for passengers side, just put two switches next to each other on drivers side. A passenger can always just ask you to turn it on. And usually there is always a driver when the passenger side is seated. If you insist on the passenger side I think you can remove the glove box, maybe give you some access.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Awe never mind, I see what you are saying now. yeah that is the best spot if you can do it.

OP
OP
A

AC54ME

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Awe never mind, I see what you are saying now. yeah that is the best spot if you can do it.

Thanks, I just need to determine a 'simple' way to gain access.

I am seriously considering having the work (installation of the heated seats and associated wiring done by my dealer.

It is only money, and the government prints more every day!

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Honestly, the dealer blows I would try a stereo or alarm guy, those guys can do anything and are usually pretty reasonable. I like your set up, my 10 has nothing like that console.

OP
OP
A

AC54ME

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Honestly, the dealer blows I would try a stereo or alarm guy, those guys can do anything and are usually pretty reasonable. I like your set up, my 10 has nothing like that console.

Great suggestion - I may approach one I use for my other cars and see if they are capable and interested.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
yeah, I have yet to figure out how any of my past alarm guys have gotten that little blue or red button on the top of the dash. I think they are half magician or something. I am looking at a set of those two, but just the cheap ones that plug into the lighter hole.

hunter99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not to try and burst your bubble but the aftermarket seat kit may not work at all. I did a bunch of research on this for my 2013 and due to the change in the electronics and bus nobody has an aftermarket kit listed for 2013 and up Rams. Even the Mopar kit is listed as only up to 2012 and the dealer mentioned that the plug it would tap into changed on the 2013's.

Now I don't have proof other than what I was told by the dealer and Chrysler when I called. Hopefully they are wrong and you can get it to work. If you do post back and i'll go out and get a kit to do it myself.

Now what I was told is Chrysler is working on a kit for the 2013 and up Rams. Who knows if this is really true or even when it would be out.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I doubt that would be an issue, any stereo guy could take the plug off and just use the wire if he had too. I have had several things hard wired in previous vehicles. I'm sure something like this is just standard amperage.

Pretty cool youtube shows how to install seat heaters and switch in seat for 50 bucks,

I was looking at getting these with the seat cover.

Last edited:

Heywood

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Sport
Engine
Look on any stereo removal site. They have all the answers to get the console apart.

Search RBZ radio install. There's a PDF there that's too big for me to place here.

This is what the PDF is called:

RES_REQ_REN_RBZ_RHB_RER_RHR_MyGIG_Installation_Guide.pdf

Page 8 Shows how to get it apart. Maybe you can get power from the lighter, but with the amount of power drawn, you might want to go somewhere heavier

OP
OP
A

AC54ME

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Look on any stereo removal site. They have all the answers to get the console apart.

Search RBZ radio install. There's a PDF there that's too big for me to place here.

This is what the PDF is called:

RES_REQ_REN_RBZ_RHB_RER_RHR_MyGIG_Installation_Guide.pdf

Page 8 Shows how to get it apart. Maybe you can get power from the lighter, but with the amount of power drawn, you might want to go somewhere heavier

Many thanks! This is what I was searching for regarding this objective.

Now, time to find a 'shop' to do the work - way to much for this activity to be (acceptably) accomplished by me!

OP
OP
A

AC54ME

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Not to try and burst your bubble but the aftermarket seat kit may not work at all. I did a bunch of research on this for my 2013 and due to the change in the electronics and bus nobody has an aftermarket kit listed for 2013 and up Rams. Even the Mopar kit is listed as only up to 2012 and the dealer mentioned that the plug it would tap into changed on the 2013's.

Now I don't have proof other than what I was told by the dealer and Chrysler when I called. Hopefully they are wrong and you can get it to work. If you do post back and i'll go out and get a kit to do it myself.

Now what I was told is Chrysler is working on a kit for the 2013 and up Rams. Who knows if this is really true or even when it would be out.

Interesting observation.

The unit I purchased is "MOPAR" packaged. The vendor I purchased from 'guaranteed' compatibility on the 2013.

This AM I took the truck, and unit, to my local (purchased from) dealer to obtain a installation price, and verify the 'guarantee' - it was an acceptable unit for installation.

The dealer agreed it was 'correct'.

The kicker was the installation costs - $300 + tax.

I just got done researching 'auto interior' shops in my area - most quoted $200.

I am on my way to visit the 'car stereo' guys close by and get a price.

He who offers the best price gets to do this job.

As an aside: the heated seat units do not 'tie in' to the RAM system - IOW's, they are not completely the same regarding interconnection to the dash buttons, or to the vehicles electronics.

Thus the necessity for control 'buttons' that are not interfaced with the normal, factory installed buttons on the physical seats.

Considering this, your statement is correct.

However, I do like the 'button' configuration and ability to have same visible. Instead of 'finger fumbling' to determine the factory 'high/low' settings, this one allows visibility of the setting, and is settable to 'low, medium or high' and is represented by LED lights for each setting.

PM me if you want the link to the seller of this item.

:favorites13:

Heywood

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Sport
Engine
Just looked on Flea Bay. There is one seller that has a PDF on the install. It does get the power from the cigarette lighter.

Looking at the documentation, I also like how the switches are set up on the console vs. the dash as the instruction show.

Here's the link to the PDF:

http://starparts.chrysler.com/info/default/k6860447.pdf

OP
OP
A

AC54ME

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Well, like the weather my objective changed.

I had one of my Magnum SRT8 at the dealer today - service (18k miles).

Unfortunately I took time to wander the lot - reviewing and admiring the various RAM models.

A demonstration by a factory representative on the '14's was occurring for the sales force, and I stopped in.

One of the presentations was the heated and cooled seat options. The representative set one front seat to heat, the other to cool. Then he had us place our hands on both seats.

I was amazed at the absolute differences, and subsequently determined I was entitled to this amazing option.

A visit to the Parts Department took care of that, along with the ordering of dual color Katzins (sp?).

Arriving home I found the 'brown truck' has delivered my previously ordered MOPAR heated seat units. I immediately contacted the sell and returned those!

This truck is becoming as expensive in modifications as my Corvettes.

And like the Corvettes, the modifications seem never to end.

LOFSFIRE

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 1500 CC Sport Copperhead Pearl & 2011 1500 CC Sport Black
Engine
5.7 Hemi w/ 8 speed ~ 5.7 Hemi w/ 6 speed
Ok so I realize you have move on but you will still need controls either way.

Thus the necessity for control 'buttons' that are not interfaced with the normal, factory installed buttons on the physical seats.

Considering this, your statement is correct.

However, I do like the 'button' configuration and ability to have same visible. Instead of 'finger fumbling' to determine the factory 'high/low' settings, this one allows visibility of the setting, and is settable to 'low, medium or high' and is represented by LED lights for each setting.

The only reason they are telling you that the buttons have to be on the physical seats is that is the EASIEST spot to mount them. If you want the switch on the center console, put it there, just know you have to get the wires there too. It won't be hard, good luck.

OP
OP
A

AC54ME

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Ok so I realize you have move on but you will still need controls either way.

The only reason they are telling you that the buttons have to be on the physical seats is that is the EASIEST spot to mount them. If you want the switch on the center console, put it there, just know you have to get the wires there too. It won't be hard, good luck.

As you noted, I am going in another direction.

Seats, heated and cooled, will be installed next week (pressuring the creek don't rise).

The installation of the 'control' buttons will be the same as OEM (on the sides of the seats) - however if possible I am going to ask the installer to place them elsewhere where I believe they will be more visible.

One suggestion (via PM) was to use the 'switch' panel below the radio (where many trucks have the RAM 'insert' cover.

On mine the insert is replaced with 'switches' that came OEM. I would consider that location, as well as my original one (in the picture above).

Heywood

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Sport
Engine
What's the damage to install heated and cooled seats at the dealership? Is it a big deal? I like my seats, but the option is nice.