Catch can?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pa.hemi.ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, 6" Rough Co lift, Fuel wheels, Bully Dog Gt, K&N CAI, Magnaflow Exhaust
Ok totally new to this one and honestly got caught up in a couple threads on it. What does it do and will it hurt or help my motor to install? Is there big difference on brands? Sorry if this is repeat. Need some new opinions and answers. Thank you guys....

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Definitely will not hurt anything. BT seems to be the cc of choice. The debate revolves around does it help or does it not do anything. Imho, since it won't hurt anything and might keep the throttle body clean, why not.

bryan28

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Only a very small fraction of a percent of hemi engines have one and they seem to be doing ok without it. On the other hand, as huntergreen stated, it won't hurt to use one either. IMO they are a waste of $ but I have wasted $ on other things I now consider useless and am sure I will again in the future. Billet Technology seems to be a popular brand around here.

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
I've seen a lot of people with cc's on this forum and others and have you seen the amount of oily, gas smelling milky lookin crap that comes out of it after 1k miles! I'm actually debating putting one on my old girl but I think I'm past the point were the cc would make my engine last longer.

ExpressRules

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express Crew Cab & 2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There are tons of posts on the forum so if you do a search you will find enough posts to keep you busy reading for quite some time. By researching the posts they will help you pick the catch can that will provide the best horse power gain and which ones works best with rear window decals. :naughty:

JRam5.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Ive used them on a modified Corvette and on a Scatpack equipped 300S. They definitely catch a lot of blowby oil and keep the intake clean. There is no threat to the TB regardless.

That being said, if you have the $ to blow and like the looks go for it...it wont hurt. My 300 had 3 lifters go bad and the catch can was on there and did not void the warranty.

Moroso make a really nice one with a valve so you never have to take it apart, uncap the drain tube, twist the valve, drain, reverse, done.

Ill need a different mounting bracket but I kept the one from the 300 so Ill prob put it on.

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a moroso I took off my 5.7 challenger, wonder if I can make it work on my truck

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
some people argue that the oil being burned is enough to lower the octane rating of the fuel being burned that could lead to knock. Or that the oil will cause carbon build up on the intake valves. Since the hemi is not GDI the valve issue is moot.

Now, if you look at the fuel dilution claim it's quite simply unfounded. For instance, take an average fuel economy of 16 MPG, and a set range of 3000 miles, comes out to roughly 187.5 gallons of fuel burned. During 3000 miles, at an extreme example, you might collect 5 ounces of oil. That would equate to a 4800:1 fuel to oil ratio. Hardly enough to effect the rate of the fuel being burned.

Mostly they are to keep your intake and throttle body clean from a coating of oil. Which, in the grand scheme of things, isn't much of an issue. A wipe down of the throttle body every 30k miles would suffice.

quickster2

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Laramie 2500 4 X 4
Engine
6.4L
Waste of $$$ on a truck.

Catch cans are generally beneficial when you are tracking a vehicle and have high centrifugal forces acting on the PCV system as in a long sweeping turn at speed. IMO they would be a waste of money on a stock truck. The minimal oil that gets ingested has been actually termed beneficial on stock Hemi's.

I installed a DSE/Radian Engineering catch can system on my Viper. Even on this car, the SRT & Powertrain Engineers were divided on the merits.

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Catch cans are generally beneficial when you are tracking a vehicle and have high centrifugal forces acting on the PCV system as in a long sweeping turn at speed. IMO they would be a waste of money on a stock truck. The minimal oil that gets ingested has been actually termed beneficial on stock Hemi's.

I installed a DSE/Radian Engineering catch can system on my Viper. Even on this car, the SRT & Powertrain Engineers were divided on the merits.

Would love to see a write-up on it being beneficial. Of course all the people that spent $150 on one will says it's fake.

Last edited:

1quick1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It just catches extra oil being blown into the intake. I have one. Most people don't. I put mine on when it was brand new. If I bought the truck used with 20k+ miles or whatever I probably wouldn't bother.

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I never had one until I bought a challenger and everyone on that forum says get that as your first mod. I put one on that engine, one on my 16 mustang and just ordered one for this truck. It may or may not be big deal but for less than $200 it’s cheap insurance. I like checking the canister, it’s interesting to see just how much it traps.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
I wont own a newer Hemi vehicle without a catch can installed. I have lost count of how many people over the years have had TPS codes due to their throttle body being caked with oil on the back side of the blade. And from a tuning standpoint, having the catch can installed does reduce knock and allow your tuner to get a little more aggressive in the tuning...thus giving you the opportunity to make more power. My Billet Tech catch can is nearly full every 3000 miles on both my 2015 Ram and my wife's 2013 Grand Cherokee.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
I'm not buying it. How much does that catch can hold? 7 ounces, at most? Even at 7 ounces, with an average fuel economy of 16 MPG over 3000 miles comes out to 24,000 ounces of fuel burned for every 7 ounces of oil, or a fuel to oil ratio of 3428.5 : 1. Even at 19 MPG average you're looking at 2887 : 1.

There's not a chance in hell that a fuel to oil ratio like that will cause knock. Ever.

The only way I could see it causing any kind of knock would be after a long amount of time running rather poor quality fuel with little to no detergent package that left considerable amounts of carbon deposits in the combustion chamber that would retain enough heat to cause pre-ignition issues.

I suppose for those looking for every last nugget of performance one may, in certain circumstance, be useful. For the average vehicle owner I doubt they'd see any benefit over the normal 3-6 years of ownership.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
If you don't want to take my word for it, then talk to the people who tune the hemi vehicles. They will tell you the same thing, and they don't sell catch cans.

homeguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I’ve got one on mine. I like the fact the throttle body stays clean. A clean engine is a happy one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro