Disappointed w/ Diablosport canned tune - what now? To custom tune or not?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DavidN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey there,

bought a used diablosport i2 a while back here.
Finally I was able to install the 91 octane canned tune this week.

Even though the tuner itself is awesome and it was really easy to modify settings (MDS / e-fan) with it, I am pretty disappointed with the canned tune! I don't feel any gain in power or torque. None!

Currently I am debating if I should just return to stock tune and sell the tuner or invest even more $$ in a custom tune from Sean or Jay.

My truck has just a few bolt-on mods (CAI, ported TB, sport muffler, clutch fan delete & 190 t-stat) so I'm not sure if it's all even worth it in the end.

What do y'all think?

Gary's Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey there,

bought a used diablosport i2 a while back here.
Finally I was able to install the 91 octane canned tune this week.

Even though the tuner itself is awesome and it was really easy to modify settings (MDS / e-fan) with it, I am pretty disappointed with the canned tune! I don't feel any gain in power or torque. None!

Currently I am debating if I should just return to stock tune and sell the tuner or invest even more $$ in a custom tune from Sean or Jay.

My truck has just a few bolt-on mods (CAI, ported TB, sport muffler, clutch fan delete & 190 t-stat) so I'm not sure if it's all even worth it in the end.

What do y'all think?

Go w/ a custom tune from Jay or Sean. Night & day difference over canned tune.

jabartram

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I have headers, 87mm throttle body, 180 tstat and a catch can, tried a canned tune and was not thrilled, i went custom tune and my truck woke up. even before the mods when i was factory stock i felt a seat of the pants difference with my custom tuning. i have now used both hemi fever and jay greene, i do prefer on over the other. i noticed a big difference between the two.

BEAST19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Def Hemifever tune.

BEAST19
'15 Ram 1500 5.7L
Blacked out brilliant black bighorn
Fully functional hood
Custom quad switchback halo
Fuel vapors wrapped in 33"x12.5nittos
MBPR Exhaust
ARH Longtube headers
Pedal Commander
Vararam intake
Diablo i2
Painted bushwhacker flares
Color matched cab spoiler
87mm TB

photonburst

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My two year vintage canned tune was "meh". A HF tune from this spring woke the truck up. Icing on the cake.

OP
OP
DavidN

DavidN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok guys, whether to "go Greene" or get a HF tune seems to be more a personal preference. I appreciate all the answers, but really don't want to start another discussion over which is better than the other.

As I wrote above - I would be happy to go either road!

But what I really need to know:
With just the few bolt-on mods I have - does a custom tune really make a big enough difference over a canned one to justify to spend another 160+ $$?

As of right now, I'm so disappointed with that diablosport 91 octane canned tune, that I'm about to set everything back to stock and sell the tuner to cover some of my losses.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Yes, a custom tune does make a huge difference.

I had the same experience you had. The canned tune was OK but didn't do much for me or the truck.

My 6.4L powered 2014 became a totally different truck after installing Hemifever's custom tune.

jabartram

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Ok guys, whether to "go Greene" or get a HF tune seems to be more a personal preference. I appreciate all the answers, but really don't want to start another discussion over which is better than the other.

As I wrote above - I would be happy to go either road!

But what I really need to know:
With just the few bolt-on mods I have - does a custom tune really make a big enough difference over a canned one to justify to spend another 160+ $$?

As of right now, I'm so disappointed with that diablosport 91 octane canned tune, that I'm about to set everything back to stock and sell the tuner to cover some of my losses.

To me the difference has been worth every penny, i have paid for both HF and Greene. still worth every penny.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Make sure u update with impressions after install-

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB 2WD 6sp
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Anyone ever done 0-60 or 1/4 mile runs both with a canned tune and then after a custom tune?

Nova John

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I have a 2011 regular cab Ram wheel drive, 392 gears, k&n drop in and a Flowmaster hd 50 muffler with single exhaust. Ran 14.63 stock, 14.01@99mph with Superchips Flashpack on 87 performance tune with exhaust and filter. Haven't tried 93 tune yet. Tune made a big difference in performance and 6,000 rpm shift points. For m it worked great. Trying this fall for 13.6 with cooler weather and empty bed and less gas.

78Staff

US Navy Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Pretty much every thread on the diablo's I've read recommends getting a custom tune, as the canned tunes are pretty bland. Likely the result of having to ensure reliability across a broad sample of vehicles, I suspect they are just very conservative. Even with a stock truck, a custom tune is overwhelmingly recommended as the way to go.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jems007