Flowmaster 817568 install and review

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Exhausted

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
based by my screen name here I would like to say throughout my car days I have been through many many exhaust systems, with my early Chevys Flowmaster, magnaflow, spintech, and my last Chevy I had a Dynomax catback.
on my TransAm I had Flowmaster, ******, Magnaflow, Dynomax (bullets) Corsa, GMMG.
one thing I have found that is when you are not pushing the limits of the Dia of the pipe size and the rescriction of the system itself then the muffler is a noise maker and not much more. now when adding it compared the the stock muffler there is some performance gain maybe 5-10 hp but from one performance muffler to the next the difference is minimal (from what I have seen on the dyno and track).
so for my DD truck i wanted to choose simply based on sound and to me Flowmaster has the best sound with catalytic coverters on.
with longtubes and no cats then its magnaflow all the way.

right off I will say that this is a quality peice, its made of 409 stainless steel with a hi-temp coating andOE type clamps. fit was perfect

as with the mufflex system the hardest part is getting the old muffler out, but a rubber mallet and liquid wrench made it pretty easy, took about 30-40 min total for install.

I will post up some pics and a video once I get home today. it was to windy for a video yesterday when I did the install.

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

Exhausted

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Last edited:

BlkRamRt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Daum you have been through a bunch of different systems. So its a full cat back or just a muffler swap?

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What MF model would you say the FM50 compares to? 14", 18", or 24" as far as sound level? Do you notice any drone in the cab from it at highway speeds?

OP
OP
E

Exhausted

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would say the 18" magnaflow is comparable in sound level
No drone but you can tell its not a stock muffler

Last edited:

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good info. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ramsport27

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Looking at this exact setup. Would love to see/hear a video of it!

OP
OP
E

Exhausted

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
videos up, I don't know how to embed them so that they just play on this screen rather than open a new link.

ramsport27

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sounds great man, how long did it take you to install?

lone12star

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sounds good, I'm thinking about getting the American thunder car back for my truck which comes with the 50 series

OP
OP
E

Exhausted

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sounds good, I'm thinking about getting the American thunder car back for my truck which comes with the 50 series

it may sound a little different since the tailpipes get rid of the resonators and the pipe is a little bigger diameter

first ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
would love to know where you got the kit from for that price. I want that kit but would love to save a few bucks. I havent seen it for less than 330 dollars. Thanks

doz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I had the Flowmaster bolt-in for a few days prior to installing headers. I think its a great option other than a MF bolt-in. I really liked it honestly until I got the headers installed. Once headers were on, it was WAYYYYY too loud. My truck is loud with the MF cat-back (22" muffler) and with that bolt-in FM, it was ridiculous and unbearable.

Alone though, I think it sounds good. I believe its closer to a MF 14" personally but everyone sees things a little differently.

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
Glad u like it. Doesn't sound bad, but I'm not a fan of the deceleration tone, sounds poppy/gurgly. It's prob a chambered style muffler which tend to be considerably louder than a muffler with sound deadoning material. Also by the looks it's about 22-20" case length but I'm sure its louder than a 18" magnaflow, as stated prob closer to a 14" MF setup.

I've had glasspacks, flowmaster, flowtech After burner, thrush chambered, jones max flow (same as magnaflow) and the Jones max flow is by far my fav. I run dual 18" jones max flow on my firebird with true 3" duals. Had a flowmaster on my dad's TA.

All that matters is u like It. I would rather go with a 22-24" muffler as a daily driver has drone even with 18". Cab design also contributes to drone and interior noise... crew cab being the worse.

OP
OP
E

Exhausted

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I will say when I take the car seats out of the back its louder and even more if I flip the rear seats up
All that acts as an insulator from the sound
But man it sounds so good from the outside