Which fuel additive works the best in our Rams?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jonbishop

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
So this is my first Ram Hemi and I'm madly in love with it lol so I wanna make sure I keep it healthy and last, I used to use the chevron with Techron in my old hummer but I don't know if Lucas fuel additive works better cleaning it all out... so just checking and seeing if any of you gents feel one works better then others [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
if you use chevron, a top tier gas, you shouldnt need to add anything to your gas. a catch can may be a better option for you.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If I was going to run a fuel additive - I would run aces5- I have heard nothing but good things about it.

BND Automotive

dexter

Banned
Reaction score
if you use chevron, a top tier gas, you shouldnt need to add anything to your gas. a catch can may be a better option for you.

This is true. Once you have 50,000 miles or so you could try Lucas Fuel Additive and Gum out fuel system cleaner.

joneseysr6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
gas additives are a waste of money on most vehicles, especially newer ones. Run a brand name gasoline and the recommend octane and you will be fine.

As one said, maybe an oil catch can to keep oil vapors out of the combustion process, but additives at this point in your vehicles life is a complete waste ( an to be honest, even in old vehicles, most say they are a waste as well .......when trying to correct a sympton in the combustion process, most additives are considered "hope in a bottle").

But hey, they are huge profit generators for the companies that produce them

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Some of them actually do exactly what they say they do, generally it takes a lot longer then they say. And it depends on what you are trying to do. If your main concern is the combustion chamber, nothing will work as good and fast as sea foam. If you want to clean injectors, PEA cleaners are above all else IMO. Redline S1 and Amsoil fuel treatment have the largest % of PEA, some gumouts have a good % but you need to read the msds to see which ones, and also techron the original PEA cleaner. Look at the youtubes out there where a guy drops a boroscope and runs tests. If you really want clean injectors and chamber, you probably have to use them every tank, and think about it that will add 5 dollars to every single tank if you use Redline S1. Running them once or twice takes away slim in the chamber, that slime usually becomes varnish. Commit to it, either run them or choose not to. The good ones like S1 also have a heavy upper cylinder lube, some people think this helps with the drying effect of ethanol, although I haven't seen scientific info on this. Do your own research, look up PEA fuel treatments and see what this stuff does. I would bet the guys saying they don't do ****, never ran their own tests.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've been using Redline for a couple years , no complaints

Ferro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Don't waste your money. Run good fuel you'll have no problems. I would buy a catch can though.

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
With fuel additives the only question that really ever pops up is are they necessary?

My question is: millions of dysfunctional people every day abuse drugs\abuse alcohol\smoke packs of cigarettes every day. Are these things actually necessary?

I myself would much rather spend $12-$15 every six months compared to what these millions of fine folks spend every day/every week.

I have & use them pretty religiously especially in my Mowers/Portable Generator. Believe it or not I actually sleep pretty good at night.
Good Post Burla!

Don't kid yourself there is really such a thing as valve / combustion chamber deposits.

Also try to remember you can't find quality fuel everywhere.
Also don't be so naïve into thinking that poor/low quality fuel is only thing that contributes to these deposits forming & continuing to build.

Last edited:

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
The best additive to run is quality fuel. You will never need anything else then.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I typically use Shell station fuels.

Kroger fuel stations are Shell as well .

Eased

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7L V8 HEMI
if you use chevron, a top tier gas, you shouldnt need to add anything to your gas.
I typically use Shell station fuels.

Every gas station these days seems to claim that they have the top tier fuel. What exactly is the difference besides their branded fuel additives (V-Power, Techron, etc)? What makes one gas better overall than another?

VB712

Maxi_built
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've always been a fan of seafoam. I put it through a vacuum line and the other half in my tank. I did it with my Ram when I bought it (45k miles) and the amount of smoke and carbon that came out of the exhaust was unreal.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Every gas station these days seems to claim that they have the top tier fuel. What exactly is the difference besides their branded fuel additives (V-Power, Techron, etc)? What makes one gas better overall than another?

Was talking to a driver who delivers for a company here called Wayne Transport. They got to the refinery punch in a code and get the proper mix put in their truck. Example if they are going to Holiday and they need 87 octane there is a code for the "Blue Planet" 87 once in the truck they have to get rid of all of it because there is no give backs or refunds. Each brand is mixed based on their additive package. All claim to be the best of course.

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Rebel "Mopar 16" Special Edition
Engine
Hemi 5.7

"Top tier" is a rating that some say the gas manufacturers "buy" their way on to....not too different than the BBB ratings you see nowadays.

Metalizer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I run Chevron or Shell 93 octane religiously....this also being because my tune. On top of that, about every few months I run a Royal Purple additive that's more of an octane booster. This helps my truck better perform better with the tune and not pull timing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hmm , interesting. ...do you FEEL the diff on timing?

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Glad I use Shell and the second I typically use is Exxon ...