Hellcat swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scope432

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Okay, I currently have a ram 2500 slt worth the 5.7 hemi in it. I was thinking about buy a wrecked challenger with a hellcat in it and swapping the motors, I was wondering if anyone else has done it and can give me an idea on what all I need to do to get it done and how much work is involved. Also I need to know if the 66rfe transmission will bolt up to it. Thanks for any advice or you guys can give .

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
From what I have seen is to make a hellcat run (as those has seen on fast and loud) you need the bcm and a proximity key. Your way better off with a 6.4 or building your 5.7 and adding a supercharger or turbos or something like that.

Marciel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
There is an episode of engine masters (can't figure out how to make a link) where the supercharge an old 5.7 and it makes over 600 hp. Sure it wasn't a safe amount of boost but it shows what they are capable of.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
S

Scope432

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The engine I have had over 110000 miles on it and I'd still like to just do the swap, then take my current engine and put it on something else. Probably a project car. I don't really want to have to replace or switch out the internals of,what I have of I can do a swap that isn't going to break my wallet. It isn't going to happen to right now, but if I can start getting everything I need and gets things ready to do the swap once the trucks paid off then I start buying everything. Just need to know what all is done. My brother is worried about having to switch out my core support and a lot of others things that I don't think will affect me much.

BlakDak71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Much easier to swap to a 6.4.

The Hellcat is much more than just a motor. You've got to deal with the external air/air oil cooler, the low temp radiator pump, the cooling system for the blower, not to mention figuring out how to get the Hellcat PCM to talk to your Ram's CANBUS system. A 6.4 would be relatively plug and play, Hellcat you're talking about a TON of work.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
From what i understand the 6.4 is built with forged internals and beefy parts for heavy truck service. Maybe go that route and supercharge that?

Either way your not going to get this done on the cheap if that's what your after. Even if you can find a wrecked HC what are they going to want for that engine knowing what it is?

I would think a blown 6.4 would really boogie in a half ton truck. Just my .02

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What gears do you have? All the HP that you can get isnt worth much if your truck has 3.21s. Your truck, being a 2500, l assume it has 4.10s. If so, that is a good start.

Realitively cheap, easy, and fast, Pro Charger is worth a serious look. $5500. You and your brother can do it in a weekend. Everything is made to fit and work with your particular application. You will get a 150 HP increase. An engine that is loosened up a bit, like your's is a good candidate for Forced Induction. When you sell the truck, you can take the Pro Charger off, if you want, sell it separately, and in the end have more money for the next project.

I did a Pro Charger on a 13 V6 Mustang. I love how it turned out.

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
For what you're gonna pay for that engine, electronics, flashing, etc... You can cam, procharge, tune and various hop-up's and make the same amount (maybe more). I'd be really surprised if you could find that engine at salvage for less than 12K.

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Theres probably a waiting list at every junkyard in the nation, for Hell Cat engines. Thats assuming the engines ever even make it to the junkyard in the first place. Chally owners are salavating, as we speak.

Most Hell Cat owners are old dudes thst buy em and look at them ( in fear).

OP
OP
S

Scope432

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So far what I'm looking to do I is find a wrecked challenger and just buy the whole car as it is, I've found a few with the hell cat in them for a lot less than what the engine by itself would cost. I haven't ruled out just beefing up my current engine either or swapping it for a 6.4 srt, which should bolt up to my current t transmission. As far as my gear ratios go, I'm not sure if I have 3.70 or 4.10 gears. If I don't have the lattter, I will definitely be swapping the axles with ones that have 4.10 gears. My plan was to take the car if I get one, pull the engine and use as much of the electonics as possible. However if the 6.2 liter wount bolt up the 66rfe transmission then I will have to either beef up my 5.7 hemi or go with the 6.4, none of this is going to happen over night since I have a few years till the truck is paid off, I don't want to make to many mods to it till then. I appreciate any advice I get though to find what my best route would be.,

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can buy a short block for a hellcat, and put heads of choice on it (not sure all that will work) buy a supercharger and tune it off the Rams computer alot easier and cheaper than buying a donor and the cost and headache of the swap.

You can also swap in a 6.4L short block and figure out how to set it up with cam and super charger for less.. Many better options out there then the work it takes to swap it in. just my .02

OP
OP
S

Scope432

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If I was to swap in a 6.4 hemi, which I'm starting to elan toward that, would I have to swap out my core support and I'm also concerned about the motor mounts of I'd have to fabricate me ones. Would I be able to splice into my,current wiring harness as well? How similar is the 6.4 hemi out of an srt compared to one out of a truck?

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If I was to swap in a 6.4 hemi, which I'm starting to elan toward that, would I have to swap out my core support and I'm also concerned about the motor mounts of I'd have to fabricate me ones. Would I be able to splice into my,current wiring harness as well?

I'm not 100% sure, but since the 6.4 came stock in a 2500, you would just need to get the right motor mounts... you should be able to do it with all OEM parts since 6.4L's come stock in them....
I'm not sure on how all the tuning or computer differences between a 5.7L and a 6.4L 2500 but I'm willing to bet you can tune it with the computer that is in it.

I'll have to search through my messages or the forum where another member here turned me onto the 6.2L short block part number from mopar and can reuse the top half of your 5.7L it will effect the flow and hp numbers and such but if you build it right its a option...
there are losts of options. I plan on doing the 6.2L cause its a forged bottom end for about 4k put my top half on it and smog is none the wiser...

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
As other said, you would be way better off starting with a non-Hellcat motor and just modifying it for your need. FYI, the HD 6.4 truck engine is a very robust starting point (steel crank, 10:1 forged pistons, sodium filled valves, etc). The 6.4 Ram block and t356 aluminum heads were used in the Hellcat project, along with some other components. According to Jay Greene, the stock cam specs are very blower friendly as well.

SRT Engineer Explains How Hellcat Hemi Pulls 707 Horsepower - EngineLabs

Whipple is working on a kit for the 5.7 & 6.4, so hopefully that becomes a reality this year. You wouldn't want to run Hellcat boost levels without at least opening up the ring gap. And even then the 6.4 pistons design probably wouldn't support that kind of abuse. But something sane like 500-550whp would probably last forever with a good tune.

The 66RFE is a bit of an unknown. Certainly I would upgrade the converter as it's a weak spot. But otherwise there just isn't enough data to accurately estimate how much HP it will reliably support.

Good luck.

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
If I was to swap in a 6.4 hemi, which I'm starting to elan toward that, would I have to swap out my core support and I'm also concerned about the motor mounts of I'd have to fabricate me ones. Would I be able to splice into my,current wiring harness as well? How similar is the 6.4 hemi out of an srt compared to one out of a truck?
Ram64TechSpecs1_zpshry5zfhc.jpg
Ram64TechSpecs2_zpsajmgtadk.jpg

BlakDak71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

The block mounting points and bellhousing patterns are the same on all G3 Hemis.

I'm not 100% sure since you have a 2500, but your 5.7 may have EGR. You'd have to do something about that. But if it's just a standard, run of the mill 5.7 Eagle setup like in the 1500s, you can swap in either an SRT or truck 6.4L very easily.

If you run the SRT one, you will have to remove the SRT intake manifold, oil pan, and timing cover accessories and install the originals off your truck engine. I'm not sure what a truck engine has as far as EGR and such. Figure out which one is most similar and go to town.

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I'm not sure what a truck engine has as far as EGR and such. Figure out which one is most similar and go to town.

HD 6.4 has a liquid cooled EGR setup with the exchanger hidden underneath the intake manifold. The PCV setup is completely integrated into the intake manifold. Almost nothing is visible.

BlakDak71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
HD 6.4 has a liquid cooled EGR setup with the exchanger hidden underneath the intake manifold. The PCV setup is completely integrated into the intake manifold. Almost nothing is visible.

I was pretty sure they did. Thanks for confirming!

OP has a 5.7L, do you know if they have a similar setup on them in the HD's?