Manifold bolt cost

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blrmkrl83

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've had a leak on the right manifold for a while now. The left one just started leaking today. I was curious what everyone has had to pay to get their trucks fixed.

Eased

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7L V8 HEMI
Most often caused by broken bolts. Extract any broken bolts and reinstall the manifold with new gaskets and studs for both sides.

Part 5045496AA - Gasket Right
Part 5045495AA - Gasket Left
Part 6509544AA - Studs

Kap1

Ex Ram 1500 2013 owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Tundra
Engine
3.5 vvti
It depends how involved it is, and if any bolts break during the service. Try get a flat fee repair quoted, so in case bolts break, mechanic won't charge you a lot extra to finish the job. Also ask to make sure that heads will be machined to make sure that they're not warped and you won't get same issue again. Ask if they machine heads in house or send it to machine shop, this is critical to make sure it won't break again. Ask about warranty in case it starts leaking again.

Looks like you need both right and left sides done? I had mine done under powertrain warranty, but my guess that it probably would be less than $1k to get both sides done... Just a wild guess.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It depends how involved it is, and if any bolts break during the service. Try get a flat fee repair quoted, so in case bolts break, mechanic won't charge you a lot extra to finish the job. Also ask to make sure that heads will be machined to make sure that they're not warped and you won't get same issue again. Ask if they machine heads in house or send it to machine shop, this is critical to make sure it won't break again. Ask about warranty in case it starts leaking again.

Looks like you need both right and left sides done? I had mine done under powertrain warranty, but my guess that it probably would be less than $1k to get both sides done... Just a wild guess.
Why are you machining the heads, I thought it was the exhaust manifolds warping that caused the studs to break.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

tantore

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
birmkrl83 dont waste your money fixing the old manifold get a good set of headers for about 700.00 and you will not have the broken bolts any more try moe's performance for a good deal

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
you can replace with shorties or go big and do some long tubes! Let is know if your interested. we are running 20% off Stainless Works!

Kap1

Ex Ram 1500 2013 owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Tundra
Engine
3.5 vvti
Why are you machining the heads, I thought it was the exhaust manifolds warping that caused the studs to break.

Sorry, yes you may be right. I may have confused it

jvbuttex

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I-6
as said, make sure the head and manifold are still flat. Chances are the head is fine. Mine developed a leak from broken bolt on the pass side. Dealer ended up replaced 2 bolts and the manifold. It was warped.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I highly recommend getting rid of the manifolds and going with a header. I lost count but I believe I had both sides done on different days around 93k and 95k. Mine need it again around 30k later and I just changed to headers. Those manifolds are complete garbage they warp and then snap the bolts right off especially in the back.

AzCats

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 CC Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I highly recommend getting rid of the manifolds and going with a header. I lost count but I believe I had both sides done on different days around 93k and 95k. Mine need it again around 30k later and I just changed to headers. Those manifolds are complete garbage they warp and then snap the bolts right off especially in the back.

Is this true about the headers? Anyone with headers installed no longer have broken bolts/exhaust leak issue?

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Is this true about the headers? Anyone with headers installed no longer have broken bolts/exhaust leak issue?

So far my headers are working well. My theory is the material used for the headers is less able to snap off the bolts since it is not cast iron. Cast iron is so strong it pops this bolts/ studs right off. I also went with stage 8 bolts so I don’t have the best science experiment since I changed two things I won’t know exactly why it is better. I also used new factory gaskets.

S0CAL

US Marine Veteran
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited Longhorn CTD HO DRW 4x4
Engine
Cummins 6.7L HO
So far my headers are working well. My theory is the material used for the headers is less able to snap off the bolts since it is not cast iron. Cast iron is so strong it pops this bolts/ studs right off. I also went with stage 8 bolts so I don’t have the best science experiment since I changed two things I won’t know exactly why it is better. I also used new factory gaskets.

Smiley did you go LTs? And did you do em yourself or send it out? I have my LTs in the garage, ceramic coated, got remflex gaskets and Stage 8 fasteners but work schedule is eating into my DIY time. I am looking for folks who ran LTs, ideally 2009-2012 and have a good workaround for the oil dipstick tube.

Right now I am a :chicken:

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Smiley did you go LTs? And did you do em yourself or send it out? I have my LTs in the garage, ceramic coated, got remflex gaskets and Stage 8 fasteners but work schedule is eating into my DIY time. I am looking for folks who ran LTs, ideally 2009-2012 and have a good workaround for the oil dipstick tube.

Right now I am a :chicken:

I paid to have my mechanic do it. I have shorties from BBK. He modified my dipstick tube to make it work.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I paid to have my mechanic do it. I have shorties from BBK. He modified my dipstick tube to make it work.
Where the shorties just a bolt on change or did you have to modify anything other than you're dipstick? Also was there any computer changes required or can you run a completely stock tune with no codes?

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
You can run shorties with no tuner, I have read they are good for about 8hp.
I believe they are a straight bolt on.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Where the shorties just a bolt on change or did you have to modify anything other than you're dipstick? Also was there any computer changes required or can you run a completely stock tune with no codes?

Just bolt on my mechanic said they were a ***** to put on. Maybe I got a bad batch but it sounded like he had to loosen motor mount to do the install.

AzCats

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 CC Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can run shorties with no tuner, I have read they are good for about 8hp.
I believe they are a straight bolt on.

8hp? seems low... do you know what the ballpark would be for a shorty and tune?

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
I do not, Long tubes are the way to go if you are going after big hp gains.

I am sure with a good tune the shorties would make better numbers.

AzCats

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 CC Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I do not, Long tubes are the way to go if you are going after big hp gains.

I am sure with a good tune the shorties would make better numbers.

Wish I could but long tubes would be a big no in California SMOG. JBA shortys are my only option.

bassheadhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just bolt on my mechanic said they were a ***** to put on. Maybe I got a bad batch but it sounded like he had to loosen motor mount to do the install.
The reason he had to loosen the mount was to get to the bolt that hold the dipstick tube.

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jems007