MDS / Engine Ticking = Broken Exhaust Manifold Bolt

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Space Monkey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ok.. so, a quick run down here.. I had started another thread, "My Maggie Breaks Wind.. WTF?!", a while back to try and see if any of you had encountered an exhaust noise I had been hearing.. and to see if anyone knew why I was hearing it.

Towards the end of the thread, a member had mentioned taking his truck in to have a noise checked out which turned out to be his MDS lifters. Which in turn, caused me to make an appointment with the dealership to have mine checked due to a 'ticking noise' I had been experiencing which arised around the same time my exhaust started 'farting' while it shifted at red line.

Link for the other thread:
http://www.ramforum.com/f44/my_maggie_breaks_wind_wtf-76420/

So...

I've been having a 'tick' on the passenger side of the motor on a cold start up, and while driving 20-30 with MDS engaged. It's the same exact noise.. I've tried different oils (conventional, synthetic blend and straight synthetic), none got rid of this 'tick'. I am familiar with the 'Hemi Tick' and this is not it..

So.. I took the truck into Dodge this morning. I explained to them exactly what was going on (cold start tick, cruising tick and the exhaust 'farting') and had the service manager and tech ride along with me to show them the 'tick' noise I've been hearing. I obviously couldn't show the the cold start tick as I had just arrived.

While on the drive, of course I heard the 'tick'.. however, the manager and the tech both said they couldn't hear anything..

Seriously?..

So I asked them if they both listened to rock music too loud as kids, because this 'tick' could be clearly heard. They still claimed to not be able to hear it during the whole drive.

We returned to the dealership and the tech asked me while he was walking around the front of the truck if I have a 'tick' during a cold start up. I told him yes, and that I've explained that already.

He said that if I have the same noise at the first start up, after its been sitting, AND while driving, that it couldn't be the MDS. He continued to explain that while it's idling, MDS is not engaged and that the truck is running on all 8 cylinders. (Makes sense)

He continued with a claim that he hasn't heard of very many issues with the MDS system at all, but that when a customer came in for a 'tick'.. he HAS changed quite a few broken exhaust manifold bolts on the passenger side at the end of the manifold.. towards the back of the motor...

Interesting..

So, he told me to take it home and get underneath it and pull on the heat shield covering the manifold. If I can move it, that I have a broken bolt..

Sure enough, I did what he recommended and found a broken bolt.. It was the very last one at the end of the manifold on the passenger side.

This may have been the issue all along..

I guess, in theory, it would make sense as to why my exhaust was 'farting'.. I assume, do to the difference in pressures because of the manifold not being completely sealed properly to the head.

Gonna get everything together this week and if time permits, I'll fix it this weekend.. Hopefully, this takes care of all issues together. If not, it's back to the drawing board.. and the dealership.

I figured I'd share this experience with ya'll here in case any of you encounter this 'tick' as well. Check your manifold bolt first. May save you a trip to the dealer and time off work.

I will update this thread when I get the bolt changed and let ya'll know if it remedied the issues.

Last edited:

Rzrman328

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine was the last bolt on drivers side.

Hope it solves the problem.

atc06jh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
My Charger had an MDS issue. I would experience the same ticking noise when traveling at low speeds. And when I'd slow down, it would be really bad and then make a hard click and then stop. It was the lifters. They "fixed" it twice. But it is still doing it. I hope my truck doesn't start that issue as the truck is mine and the car is just for work. Good luck!

Ramzaq

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 CC 4X4 3.55 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Tech was right about the MDS. It won't activate till the truck is near warmed up and over 30 mph.

FCA seriously needs to address the manifold bolts.

Djeazie

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport
Engine
Hemi
It activates below 30mph.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WadXpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
This has been a problem for over 10 years. Ive fixed my mom's and friends broken manifold bolts few times in their 04 or 05 hemi Durangos

OP
OP
Space Monkey

Space Monkey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm really hoping that this guy didn't take a lucky guess, knowing these bolts are prone to breaking, and blaming the tick on said lucky guess just to get rid of me because he didn't want to do the work.

It irritated the hell out of me that neither one of them said they could hear it.. I mean, there has been a couple people that have ridin with me who have mentioned the tick to me before I ever said anything about it... Very frustrating..

atc06jh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I'm really hoping that this guy didn't take a lucky guess, knowing these bolts are prone to breaking, and blaming the tick on said lucky guess just to get rid of me because he didn't want to do the work.

It irritated the hell out of me that neither one of them said they could hear it.. I mean, there has been a couple people that have ridin with me who have mentioned the tick to me before I ever said anything about it... Very frustrating..

Yea, they seem to ignore things so that way they don't have to work on it. Which makes no sense cause it puts $$$$ in the bank for them. It almost sounds like a baseball card in bicycle spokes to me (like you do when you're a kid).

pickupman66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
OK, so if the bolt breaks how does one get it out? I have a broken one on the dirver side per everything you ahve described except the farting noises. only at startup and then it quiets down considerably and goes away.

OP
OP
Space Monkey

Space Monkey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yea, they seem to ignore things so that way they don't have to work on it. Which makes no sense cause it puts $$$$ in the bank for them. It almost sounds like a baseball card in bicycle spokes to me (like you do when you're a kid).

Yes, it sounds similar to that.. just faint with a little more of a metallic sound.. but not so much, as it can be heard over the M/T's singing..

Although the best description would be a dry lifter.. That's why it was my go to problem (MDS Lifter).. because I can shut MDS OFF and I'll never hear it again unless I turn MDS back ON.. BUT, it's the same sound on a first start after its been sitting for a few hours (MDS not engaged).. So I don't understand.

If it IS a bad lifter... wouldn't it do it while driving with MDS OFF like it does on a first start??
:banghead:

OP
OP
Space Monkey

Space Monkey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
OK, so if the bolt breaks how does one get it out? I have a broken one on the dirver side per everything you ahve described except the farting noises. only at startup and then it quiets down considerably and goes away.

I have yet to do mine.. (hopefully this weekend).

In a perfect world, mine will be broke off with part of the bolt still showing, so I can possibly weld a nut to it, let the heat penetrate the bolt and back it out..

My luck, however, will be that the bolt is broke in the head.. meaning steady hands, drill bits, easy outs and a 12 pack will be required..

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Mine required a replacement right manifold under warranty.

Symptoms: Cold start ticking in time with firing rate, then gets out of synch as engine warms until finally goes away. Exhaust note was louder too, but no farting.

Only regret about getting fixed is I lost the louder exhaust note. Time to save my pennies for that Magnaflow.

OP
OP
Space Monkey

Space Monkey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Mine required a replacement right manifold under warranty.

Symptoms: Cold start ticking in time with firing rate, then gets out of synch as engine warms until finally goes away. Exhaust note was louder too, but no farting.

Only regret about getting fixed is I lost the louder exhaust note. Time to save my pennies for that Magnaflow.

What was the reason for the replacement? Warped/Cracked?

pickupman66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I'm going to guess that the entire manifold has to come out to be able to get a drill or tool on to this area

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

WadXpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
The ones I fixed I got lucky. It broke flush with the manifold. So I unbolt it and pulled the manifold away from the block and used channel locks to remove the stud. I talked to the parts guy in 09/10 and he knew exactly what it was because it was pretty common

OP
OP
Space Monkey

Space Monkey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm going to guess that the entire manifold has to come out to be able to get a drill or tool on to this area

Yes, id say so. I plan on completely removing mine to give me as much work room as possible. Gonna get all new bolts and gasket for that side while I'm at it. I priced it around $50.. give or take..

Last edited:

atc06jh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Yes, it sounds similar to that.. just faint with a little more of a metallic sound.. but not so much, as it can be heard over the M/T's singing..

Although the best description would be a dry lifter.. That's why it was my go to problem (MDS Lifter).. because I can shut MDS OFF and I'll never hear it again unless I turn MDS back ON.. BUT, it's the same sound on a first start after its been sitting for a few hours (MDS not engaged).. So I don't understand.

If it IS a bad lifter... wouldn't it do it while driving with MDS OFF like it does on a first start??
:banghead:

When I cut mine off and go to the push button shift on the gear shifter, it won't do it. I dunno what to tell ya man as the dealer "fixed" it twice under warranty and it is still doing it. It doesn't seem to affect the acceleration, top speed, etc. It is just annoying/embarrassing when rolling up to a red light or stop sign and it sounds like crap. Who knows. Maybe it'll lock it up and they'll give me a 2015 or 2016 soon, but I doubt it.

Sillygoose

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
why fix yourself? i've have both sides done under warranty

pickupman66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
140k miles on my truck and I'm not original owner. There is no warranty

Sillygoose

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
roger, i had the driver side go at 45k and the pass side just went at 93k, glad i got them in under warranty, hope it doesn't happen again. good luck with yours