MDS / Engine Ticking = Broken Exhaust Manifold Bolt

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Space Monkey

Space Monkey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Warped manifold broke the bolt and could not be reused.

Thanks for the info. If that's the case with mine.. hopefully the extended warranty will cover it, seeing as my manufacturers warranty expired as of June this year.

pickupman66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
OH good lord.... guess ill have to live with mine for a while.

OP
OP
Space Monkey

Space Monkey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So I decided to get a second opinion from another dealer to see if they also blame this tick on the manifold like the first one.. because if the manifold happens to be warped/cracked.. I don't want to have to put it all back together just to take to the dealer so the warranty can cover the manifold.

Goes in tomorrow morning @10.. fill ya'll in when I get some info..

OP
OP
Space Monkey

Space Monkey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
UPDATE:

Sooo......

I just got home.. via loaner car from the dealership...

Why, you may ask?..

Funny story, actually.. Get a load of this..

The tech and I went for a ride this morning to find this god awful, elusive tick I've been hearing.

While out riding.. he says to me, "I think I heard it." (You should have seen the look on my face..)

..We went back to the shop.

Now, I'm sitting in the waiting room and the service manager comes and gets me. We walk into the shop and the tech tells me he found a "flash update" for my throttle sensor..

WTF?!..

I said, "Ok.. what does that have to do with the tick?"

He says, "Nothing, that seems to be from a broken exhaust manifold bolt.." (which i already knew about) "I'm going to run this flash update and take it for another drive."

In my mind I'm thinkin, 'if it ain't broke.. don't fix it right?'

So I said, "Do what you gotta do."

He runs the update and takes off in my truck.. 10 mins later, I'm standing in the window staring at the birds and the bees and I watch him pull back up to the service door, go in and grab his laptop, plug it up to my truck, climb in and take off again.....

:confused: Alrighty then...

20 mins later.. I'm standing outside smoking and he pulls back up and takes it straight into the shop.. again... I'm thinkin, this can't be good.

I go inside and wait..

The service manager finally comes and gets me and tells me the tech believes my torque converter may be going out.. or starting to.

By now, I'm sure your thinking the same thing I am..

He tells me that the tech ran the update and when he took the truck back out my throttle started surging so he came back to get the laptop to monitor the pcm while he drove it.

:hmm:

Turns out that when he ran the update, it caused the torque converter to show its ass, where as before the update, it was such a minor fluctuation in rpm that I couldn't really notice it.. but the tech said he could, he just didn't want to say anything to me in case he was wrong. (Good idea on his part)

This is where it gets even better...

I asked the SM the obvious question.. "So what now?"

He said, "I just got off the phone with the warranty company and they said they'll cover the torque converter, AND that if we gotta take the transmission out to replace it, that we may as well install a new transmission as well."

:laughing1: I couldn't believe wtf I just heard...

So I said, "You mean to tell me that they are gonna pay for a new torque converter AND a new transmission?"

He said, "Apparently, yes. We still want to run some pressure tests on the transmission system, but more than likely that is the work that will be completed."

:happy107:

I said, "Works for me, and don't worry bout the exhaust bolts.. I'll take care of them myself."

So this has been an interesting journey to say the least..

Stay tuned..

OP
OP
Space Monkey

Space Monkey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
SM called earlier.. he said tests on the transmission pressures were good and in specs. Warranty company still wants to put a new tranny in along with the converter..

..an that's fine with me.

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm 99% sure we have a broken bolt. The garage we take our cars to for fixes over & above what I can do fixed 3 broken RAM manifold bolts last week; it's super common.
We're having it fixed before next towing season starts.

Maz762

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Dropped mine off at the dealership this morning for broken bolts. Called me 7 hours later saying they'll take a look at it tomorrow, haha at least it's still under warranty.

rduchateau2954

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So after you go through all this, or pay someone else, what's to stop it from happening again?

Sent from my AS985 using Tapatalk

lego

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I get a metallic rattling sound under acceleration but then it kinda goes away as I get up to speed... I wonder if this could be the cause...

Maz762

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Day 4 at dodge, still not done. No loaner car, tried getting a trans service for free, told me they'd give me a conventional oil change, nope.

OP
OP
Space Monkey

Space Monkey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Day 4 at dodge, still not done. No loaner car, tried getting a trans service for free, told me they'd give me a conventional oil change, nope.

4 days for exhaust bolts and no loaner for warranty work?.. Rubbish..

12ramhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
4 days for exhaust bolts and no loaner for warranty work?.. Rubbish..

If I am reading my warranty right it says this I think under roadside assistance. If repair requires over night stay a rental car will be paid for up to 5 days.

The key is you need a warranty claim. In my situation I am still waiting for a warranty claim to be filed after three week.

OP
OP
Space Monkey

Space Monkey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If I am reading my warranty right it says this I think under roadside assistance. If repair requires over night stay a rental car will be paid for up to 5 days.

The key is you need a warranty claim. In my situation I am still waiting for a warranty claim to be filed after three week.

When I put my truck in the shop, the service manager called my warranty company (Protective Asset Protection) after diagnostic, told them what was wrong.. started a claim right then and then put me in one of the dealer cars. Not sure why yours wouldn't have done that right away.

12ramhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
They are trying to not admit responsibility yet for my problem. IMO

powderbrad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If it's broken you'd likely have to remove the entire header. Which sucks. Unless the broken post sticks past the header flange. Doubt you'd be that lucky

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Why is it taking so long? What did they tell you the hold up is? The job doesn't take more than a few hours to do both sides.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maz762

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok, got an updated. Didn't even look at it till yesterday. Now they can't get the bolt out and are replacing the entire head. They got the head yesterday, never called or anything, I have to contact them to get info. Supposed to drive to NY tonight. Still no loaner, on my last nerve.