Oil Catch Can Dump photos

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ckruzer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There are many running 40wt oil with no MDS issues & no noticable mpg drop as well ...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Survival stories are the most groundless source of argument.

I’m not trying to argue for or against really. The viscosity is so nominal between the two the benefits require long term scientific studies and I’m certainly not the guy to know which way or what on that. I’m just trying to present logic.

It wasn’t me saying that, but rather Ram
A technical service bulletin (TSB) - 09-015-04 and 09-013-04 - says: “Vehicles with the Multiple Displacement System must use SAE 5W-20 oil. Failure to do so may result in improper operation of the MDS.”

It’s the Way it was designed. That IS fact. This is why some people are getting success at MDS nonfunction (cheapo turn off) by using oil only. All I am saying is that more than likely none of you are engine engineers and even more than likely don’t have the specs of the 5.7 mds engine. So you really have NO idea if using a higher viscosity oil will/could cause faulty mds uniformly? What if only one valve but not the others? Could that create non uniform wear on the cam? If it wipes it out in a Day sure we wouldn’t be having this discussion, but what if the effects exponentially compound over 10 years when it should last 30? Etc.

Just trying to point out, that sure some could survive. Usually, moving to the 30wt does in fact cause a 1 to 3 mpg loss because it is in fact more oil windage. The most logical method to me is to simply pay a small fee, and deactivate mds and then do what ever oil you want. To me, it seems the least “gambling” method. But that’s Me.

However. I am also arguing that if a 20wt meets lubrication standards, why go thicker when thickness Will cause more windage and more friction and be outside what the valves, pushrods, pump -everything was designed for.?

Just my two cents from a stranger to other strangers.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
These are not survival stories..lol

Plenty of people running 5w30 or heavier with zero problems with mds and some have reported the mds activating smoother.
You stated mpg loss, pretty much why FCA want people to run 5w20 so there trucks meet the higher cafe standards for fuel mileage, and they dont care if it wipes the cam out once its out of warrenty.

Then you have the FACT that the 6.4 is using the SAME lifters as the 5.7 does and FCA states 0w40 to be used.
Also have the info that most every truck that has wipped a cam and lifters has had 5w20 and not so on trucks with 5w30 in them.

Man this has been discussed SO many times its not funny, run 5w20 if you want but 5w30,10w30 and 0w40 have yet to cause any problems and there are guys with plenty of miles doing so.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R.L.K.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
These are not survival stories..lol

Plenty of people running 5w30 or heavier with zero problems with mds and some have reported the mds activating smoother.

Then you have the FACT that the 6.4 is using the SAME lifters as the 5.7 does and FCA states 0w40 to be used.

Man this has been discussed SO many times its not funny, run 5w20 if you want but 5w30,10w30 and 0w40 have yet to cause any problems and there are giys with plenty of miles doing so.
This ^^^^^ no worries this guy is just 5years + late to the party ...[emoji106] Not his fault he doesn't know any better .

He probably has no idea about the Govt . C.AF.E. standards and he likely has no clue that the same Ram truck sold in Europe requires a 30wt oil ....

He has like 14 post and is quoting TSB s [emoji106][emoji106]

I've ran 30 to 40 wt oil in my MDS 5.7L for over 45,000 miles , I'd put my quiet , smooth and proper MDS working hemi up against any 5.7L out there .

Mine has 64k on it ringt now .

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
https://www.ramforum.com/threads/poll-what-weight-oil-do-you-use.116852/page-3

What weight oil do you use poll, one guy only reported CEL for oil weight but he never followed up. Considering we have seen upward movement from 5w30 in the forum, I think I subscribe to the fact FCA is being the gov't bch as opposed to really protecting these hemi's that are prone to lubrication issues with cam and lifters. Remember, FCA had an issue with the eco diesel and bearing wear because they were being the gov't bch there as well, what was their solution?? go up in oil weight.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

What weight oil do you use poll, one guy only reported CEL for oil weight but he never followed up. Considering we have seen upward movement from 5w30 in the forum, I think I subscribe to the fact FCA is being the gov't bch as opposed to really protecting these hemi's that are prone to lubrication issues with cam and lifters. Remember, FCA had an issue with the eco diesel and bearing wear because they were being the gov't bch there as well, what was their solution?? go up in oil weight.
The only cel I've heard of was someone possibly running too thin of an oil. He was running 5/20 in over 100° oat and working it. No follow up if switching to heavier oil fixed his problem.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Speaking of working them hard, the 5.7 in the 2500s calls out 5w30 and while it does not have mds its still the 5.7 so if its good for that motor and 0w40 is good for the 6.4 with the same lifters I see zero reason to think it could not be ran in the 5.7 in the 1500.

OP
OP
R.L.K.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

[emoji817]. % AGREE !!!!

OP
OP
R.L.K.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Speaking of working them hard, the 5.7 in the 2500s calls out 5w30 and while it does not have mds its still the 5.7 so if its good for that motor and 0w40 is good for the 6.4 with the same lifters I see zero reason to think it could not be ran in the 5.7 in the 1500.
Well said !!

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Survival stories are the most groundless source of argument.

Careful, rocking the boat with that kind of opinion. :boxing:

screamneagle

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 rebel
Engine
5.7 hemi
Looks like I'll be getting one soon for my new Rebel. But which one ??? I want a good one not a cheap one. A cheap one that is crappy plastic makes no since to me, and how hard is it to install a occ ?

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Looks like I'll be getting one soon for my new Rebel. But which one ??? I want a good one not a cheap one. A cheap one that is crappy plastic makes no since to me, and how hard is it to install a occ ?

They make CC in plastic ? Think I would by pass that as well.

Moe's sell a real nice one.

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have 7100 miles on my truck in 14 months, 90% of that is not highway and less than 55mph, I run 5W-30. Daily commute is 10 miles.

This is a 64oz bottle about 6” diameter that I have been dumping my catch can in since new. I’m not sure how much it is but I’m damn glad that’s not going thru my intake.

AB1C822F-4033-4858-8847-1421E5C6635B.jpeg

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ebay has some that look like they're made of cheap plastic. I'm getting a billit technology occ from Moe's.
I'm very sceptical of stuff on eBay, I've bought some hats and different little things from there but you really have to study the item and seller before pushing the "buy now" button. For me vehicle parts are not an option from eBay.

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
Fully agree^^^ebay has its place, but you find examples of members being disappointed with quality for price. The step rails that mounted to the pinch weld is a good example of what to be wary of.

screamneagle

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 rebel
Engine
5.7 hemi
I'm very sceptical of stuff on eBay, I've bought some hats and different little things from there but you really have to study the item and seller before pushing the "buy now" button. For me vehicle parts are not an option from eBay.

I agree 100%.

OP
OP
R.L.K.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
eBay .....don't purchase anything that matters ....[emoji106]

Amazon is a different story .

On line purchases from a legitimate product website is good as well ..

eBay junk is just that ...junk or sometime it just junck .. or Chinese juncks or juink ...see what I mean ?
The spelling and punctuation just isn't correct ...this is when you can tell it's from a company full of idiots trying to invade our PROUD U.S.A. MARKET .!!!

Just purchase ( MADE IN THE U.S.A. )
Type products and you will be satisfied with the quality and you may just make Trump's +1 list [emoji16]

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodie1990