Oil Catch Can Dump photos

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ram1500newbie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I can't imagine not dumping untill 5-8k .

I dump mine pretty regularly [emoji1303]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Would you mine sharing how often you dump it? Weekly, Monthly? I will be looking into getting one here soon. I have 23K on my 2017. Got it with 11K. Would you suggest any type of cleaners to be used right away to help with any buildup thats been created?

TXCOMT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I can't imagine not dumping untill 5-8k .

I dump mine pretty regularly [emoji1303]

I do, too, but I certainly don't measure or log it...wow! My hat's off to those who do, but I don't have the time or the willingness.

TXCOMT

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a clear plastic bottle I have dumped mine in since install but I don't mark it each time. I dumped mine last night because I have an impending 1100 mile trip in 2 weeks (Houston to Lubbock...TTU).

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
I have a clear plastic bottle I have dumped mine in since install but I don't mark it each time. I dumped mine last night because I have an impending 1100 mile trip in 2 weeks (Houston to Lubbock...TTU).

After your trip let us know how much is in your CC.
:)

OP
OP
R.L.K.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Would you mine sharing how often you dump it? Weekly, Monthly? I will be looking into getting one here soon. I have 23K on my 2017. Got it with 11K. Would you suggest any type of cleaners to be used right away to help with any buildup thats been created?
I use Redline S1 fuel treatment ...it has a very good amount of ( PEA ) the most powerful active ingredient in cleaning the cylinder head and the intake & exhaust valve seats .
I believe the Amsoil fuel system cleaner also has a high % of pea ?
So which ever one is easier for you to obtain .
I use to get the Redline S1 at my local pepboys or advance Auto parts , now I get it MUCH cheeper form Nick a preferred vendor here with Gotexhaust.com .

As far as how often I dump it ....I dump my OCC so randomly , no set mileage or calendar time for me , but I typically wouldn't go beyond 2,500 miles , I have slipped and went 5k though [emoji36]

Hope this helps ![emoji1303]

Last edited:

ram1500newbie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I use Redline S1 fuel treatment ...it has a very good amount of ( PEA ) the most powerful active ingredient in cleaning the cylinder head and the intake & exhaust valve seats .
I believe the Amsoil fuel system cleaner also has a high % of pea ?
So which ever one is easier for you to obtain .
I use to get the Redline S1 at my local pepboys or advance Auto parts , now I get it MUCH cheeper form Nick a preferred vendor here with Gotexhaust.com .

As far as how often I dump it ....I dump my OCC so randomly , no set mileage or calendar time for me , but I typically wouldn't go beyond 2,500 miles , I have slipped and went 5k though [emoji36]

Hope this helps ![emoji1303]

Thank you for the information. I appreciate you taking the time to respond. I will see if I can get some at my local auto parts store to try. I have to go for my first oil change too. Hopefully I can get catch can this week and do all three over the weekend!

Ramm5.7

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic Bighorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yep, no set pattern for my dumps either. This is with a " oh crap, I need to dump my cc" realization. Probably 4500 miles, maybe 1k more20180815_185718.jpg

CLOUDL1GHT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins HO
IMG_7017.jpg

Here's an interesting one. Little over half full.

1800 miles of hard towing. High winds and mountains. The oil got a little warm this trip.
1000 miles of driving around Houston.

Switching to 5w30 a couple years ago has time and time again shown that it's much better for the motor. This time it's allowing less oil to be vaporized into the intake.

Before hand, if I remember correctly, when towing I would've had to dump it by the time I got to my destination. I've been monitoring it this whole time and finally felt it was due for a dump.

OP
OP
R.L.K.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
IMG_7017.jpg

Here's an interesting one. Little over half full.

1800 miles of hard towing. High winds and mountains. The oil got a little warm this trip.
1000 miles of driving around Houston.

Switching to 5w30 a couple years ago has time and time again shown that it's much better for the motor. This time it's allowing less oil to be vaporized into the intake.

Before hand, if I remember correctly, when towing I would've had to dump it by the time I got to my destination. I've been monitoring it this whole time and finally felt it was due for a dump.
I have considerably less in my OCC while using 30 wt oil also [emoji1303]

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
What great factual posts. I too believe the lighter viscosity oils contribute to ring blow by in some engines. But I can only enjoy the pics. Not available for 03 Hemi or 2018 6.4 Hemi.

ckruzer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ow-20 and Lucas. Never any oil loss. But I do look forward to putting a cc on mine

Hope this ^ guy isn’t saying what I think

OP
OP
R.L.K.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ow-20 and Lucas. Never any oil loss. But I do look forward to putting a cc on mine

Hope this ^ guy isn’t saying what I think
I've never noticed any oil loss either and I've collected lots [emoji16] my container is full 8654c57b0e044ffe856c2003edba917d.jpg

ckruzer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've never noticed any oil loss either and I've collected lots [emoji16] my container is full 8654c57b0e044ffe856c2003edba917d.jpg

I meant in reference to the previous post about viscosity and the OEM 20 weight being too thin.

ckruzer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The higher the weight the more friction and windage. The lubrication can be achieved irrespective of weights. You can look up specs for each oil. Generally, the viscosity is most relevant for your weather conditions. The oils themselves are engineered to meet lubrication minimums regardless of weights

If you have MDS turned on, you should not run anything other than 20, due to the lifter oil pressure sensors for cylinder deactivation being designed specifically with 5w20.

If you have it turned off, there is nothing else preventing you from choosing 5w30 if that’s what you want. I would expect less mpg tho. In a perfect world, a 0w0 would be awesome, if it still yielded the friction reducing (lubrication) results required.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
The higher the weight the more friction and windage. The lubrication can be achieved irrespective of weights. You can look up specs for each oil. Generally, the viscosity is most relevant for your weather conditions. The oils themselves are engineered to meet lubrication minimums regardless of weights

If you have MDS turned on, you should not run anything other than 20, due to the lifter oil pressure sensors for cylinder deactivation being designed specifically with 5w20.

If you have it turned off, there is nothing else preventing you from choosing 5w30 if that’s what you want. I would expect less mpg tho. In a perfect world, a 0w0 would be awesome, if it still yielded the friction reducing (lubrication) results required.

There are many folk on this forum running 5/30 without issue concerning the MDS. Works just fine.

OP
OP
R.L.K.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

There are many running 40wt oil with no MDS issues & no noticable mpg drop as well ...

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi

The mds doesn't work until the engine oil is 212f? That would literally be the only way to achieve what you say because viscosity is a relative to heat, and when cold 5w20 is way thicker then any 50 or 60 weight when hot. About 1/2 of the reported ram owners use 30 weight and up with mds, there is a poll thread on it.