Performance Upgrades

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CamDep

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello all, I have a 2012 ram 1500, just finished with most of my exterior work on it on now I want to start doing some performance upgrades. Since I don't know everything about my truck and most people probably know way more than me, I was looking for some suggestions. I have a moderate budget, I don't want to overspend but I want quality products. I'm thinking about a new exhaust for a more aggressive clean sounding exhaust with dual tail pipes coming out at 45 degrees on each side. I was also thinking about a tuner and how effective they can be but also I don't want screw up my truck with one. I also was thinking about a new air filter, cold air intake, or any other small upgrades if they are effective and safe to put on a truck, for example, i was told not to use a k&n air filter because it lets too much air in or something like that, not exactly sure, but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
K&n is a warm air intake. Most people lean toward s&b or vararaam if they get an intake. Tuning won't kill your truck as long as a professional does it. If you search through the 4th gen pages there is an exhaust thread to listen to different exhausts and people's opinions on them. I have a carven progressive on my truck and love it but others choose corsa or borla and mufflex. Lots of choices. Lots of stuff to do to your truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
Hello all, I have a 2012 ram 1500, just finished with most of my exterior work on it on now I want to start doing some performance upgrades. Since I don't know everything about my truck and most people probably know way more than me, I was looking for some suggestions. I have a moderate budget, I don't want to overspend but I want quality products. I'm thinking about a new exhaust for a more aggressive clean sounding exhaust with dual tail pipes coming out at 45 degrees on each side. I was also thinking about a tuner and how effective they can be but also I don't want screw up my truck with one. I also was thinking about a new air filter, cold air intake, or any other small upgrades if they are effective and safe to put on a truck, for example, i was told not to use a k&n air filter because it lets too much air in or something like that, not exactly sure, but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

I would get the Diablo i2 tuner and a custom tune. Then if you decide to add mods your tuner can tweek the tune to acomodate. Tuner is a good place to start.

OP
OP
C

CamDep

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Okay thanks! ill take a look around to see what i can find

OP
OP
C

CamDep

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Should I get a tuner and a pcm swap or just or tuner? I don't really know anything about tuners and tuning or pcm swaps or any of that stuff

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
Should I get a tuner and a pcm swap or just or tuner? I don't really know anything about tuners and tuning or pcm swaps or any of that stuff

Your 2012 doesn't require the PCM swap, all you need is the tuner. The tuner has what we call Can tunes, there very basic tunes but you can tweek some parameters; bump up shift point, turn off MDS, remove speed limiter, turn on AC fan and many more. But the best thing is get a custom tune from Jay or Sean.
And I'm talking about the Diablo tuner specifically :favorites13:

OP
OP
C

CamDep

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How does one get a "custom tune from Jay or Sean"?

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Couple different ways - you can reach out to them directly on Facebook -
Moe"s performance sells diablo tuners that come with hemi fever tunes-
Moes also has 99% of the performance upgrades you will want to do on thier website , they are a vendor on here as well-

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What state are you in? Do you have a local performance shop?

OP
OP
C

CamDep

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am in a small town in Wisconsin, I'm not entirely sure of any performance shops very close to me but I'm sure there's probably some

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
I am in a small town in Wisconsin, I'm not entirely sure of any performance shops very close to me but I'm sure there's probably some

All Right a PACKER FAN:favorites13:
Between Moes, SRP Performance, Jay, Sean you will get everything you need. Its addictive tho.

TRXHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Check out Moe's Performance. Matt is a great guy to work with, and responds to emails and messages quickly. He will hook you up.

Skerj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
K&N filters/intakes won't let in too much air, they just debatably let in more and/or more particulates, (tons of articles and threads out there, you'll have to make your own decision) and don't muffle as much engine sound. I had the K&N intake on my former 11 Outdoorsman with no issues for probably 10k miles before I sold it. Also had a Flowmaster American Thunder (the middle sound level). Both gave a great sound at idle and WOT, with no drone cruising. But while there was possibly a few ponies gained, it wasn't very noticable.

Hipps2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 Bighorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
Moes and hemifever tuning!!!!