Tuner Decision to make....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JustB_rad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I have 2014 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman with the 5.7L and 8 Speed Trans with the 3.92 rear end. Truck is completely stock and for all intents and purposes will stay that way at least for the foreseeable future. I get about 13-14 MPG in Winter, 15-17 MPG in Summer and about 9.5 MPG towing our 31 foot Travel Trailer about 2,500 miles a year. The other 15,000 miles a year I average is a city/highway mix. To achieve those numbers, I drive like a grandpa....light on the pedal, coasting into red lights and normally always under 80 in a 70 MPH zone.

My brother has a 2014 Ram 1500 Sport that' he's stuck a ton of mods and money into his truck, including a Tuner.

He just told me that he can get additional licenses for that tuner for $100 per license and asked me if I would be interested. I believe it's the diablo tuner. The only catch in the deal is that if I ever go into the dealer for a computer related issue, I'd have to meet up with him and set it back to factory before I took it in, as a dealer flashing the computer would invalidate the license. In all reality, as much as I like MORE POWER, my truck has all the power I need. This would be strictly a tune to get better MPG. What type of an increase can I expect from a tune? A .5 MPG increase would take me a year to get my $100 back.

Gary's Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a Diablo I2 & just did this w/ my neighbor & my friends truck. Buy another tuning license & you can tune whatever you want. Your file stays stored in his programmer so if you have an issue that needs to go to the dealer you just have to meet w/ him. As far as mileage, your mpg will stay the same. I have never gotten a mpg gain from a tune. But the power gained is worth the money. If your just after mpg's I'd just save the money for actual gas

OP
OP
J

JustB_rad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I have a Diablo I2 & just did this w/ my neighbor & my friends truck. Buy another tuning license & you can tune whatever you want. Your file stays stored in his programmer so if you have an issue that needs to go to the dealer you just have to meet w/ him. As far as mileage, your mpg will stay the same. I have never gotten a mpg gain from a tune. But the power gained is worth the money. If your just after mpg's I'd just save the money for actual gas

Thanks for the info! I'm not disappointed in the mileage I'm getting...I knew what I was getting into when I bought the truck....I just figured if there was a way to improve it without spending more money than it was worth I'd check it out.