Wanting to change transmission

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

andrewelmer1234

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for all the help so far. I have been researching and can't find any info on swapping the 6 speed for an 8 speed in a 2014 ram express 5.7 hemi.

Again I'm wanting to put an 8 speed in my 6 speed truck. Any help would be awesome. I'm wondering if the computer and lines shifter etc will be able to work. I know the dealer will probably have to program the computer... again. Lol I've done lots of upgrades and the dealer probably wonders why I didn't just buy the truck I wanted. Lol

If it's not possible, are there any gear sets or build kits for the 6 speed? To actually get close gearing from 1st to 5th?

Still don't know why the 3rd gear is the same ratio as 2nd. Sooo worthless and irritating.

MdMassey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Can't be easily done. Can be done with an insane amount of work. The 6 speed had a manual gear select which you choose via a shift lever on the column, the 8 speed is electronic shift only which will require some major wiring changes both inside and outside the truck, the computer will need to be replaced, not just reprogrammed. Your best bet to successfully do this is to buy an totaled truck with the same options (with no interior damage or popped airbags) and swap all of the power train and dash components including the wiring. C

Easiest way to get an 8 speed is to buy a truck with one already installed.

As for the overdrive/underdrive unit I know Transdapt and Eaton make some but I don't know if they make them for your trans.

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
Cheapest way to do it is sell your current 6 speed truck and buy one with the 8 speed. Having a parts truck will reduce cost but you'll be further ahead if you just get yourself an 8-speed truck in the same year. PCM, trans and internal wiring harnesses, shifter, center console and stack are all different with significant differences between the two. For me, the time required to unravel the wiring harness running to the PCM would be enough to buy a factory built 8-speed truck.

If you want an upgrade to the 65 then you can get a 'built' version from True Street Performance. The reason the 2/3 ratios are so close is because the 3rd gear was an optional gear in the 545 and was only used when downshifting in tow/haul mode but Ram decided to use it in standard forward shifting for better fuel economy so there wasn't as large an rpm drop from the original 545's 2-3 shift.