new(to me) truck, general maintenance advice.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MrNixon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7l V6
Hey guys, for the first time in my 34 years I am a truck owner. Before I got my 07 ram, all I had ever owned were plastic cars like my 06 Saturn ion. All I've ever done mechanically is change the oil, brake pads, and air filter. Anything else...well I suppose I've been lucky as that has been all I've ever had to do. Though I must admit I was rather rough or lackadaisical in my caring for those cars.

The purchase of this truck has inspired me to learn all I can and do all I can to keep in in excellent shape and running well for years to come.

My first question is that it is at 97k miles. What do I need to do to it now and at 100k? I do not know what maintenance has been done beforehand. I checked the oil, it seems fairly clean. And I changed the air filter. But that is all I've done so far in the 6 days I've had it.

Thanks, and I apologize for my ignorance.

Harley Harrold

USAF Ret. 36+ years service
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Miles 93,000 96,000 99,000 102,000
(Kilometers) (150 000) (154 000) (159 000) (164 000)

Change engine oil and engine oil filter at interval shown
or 3 months, whichever comes first.

Lubricate Front Drive Shaft Fitting (2500/3500, 4X4).
Rotate tires.

Check spare tire for proper pressure and correct stowage.

Lubricate outer tie rod ends 2500/3500 (4X4) models only.

Flush and replace engine coolant, if not replaced at 60
months.

Purchase an owners manual, or repair manual as it will give you the specifications and maintenance schedules. I would pass on the Haynes Manual as it really doesn't go past 2005 models.

I use Mobil 1 Synthetic oil and Mobil 1 Extended Performance oil filters. I change my oil & filter every 5,000 miles.

Last edited:

SFD213

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Theyve pretty much covered it above. Just know that these arent exactly designed to run super mpgs with zero care. You might have to keep a little better care of these trucks than a little plastic saturn, but i gaurantee youll take the truck 10 times outa 9. Theyll give you alot more satisfaction when they run and look nice.
I recommend synthetic because of your history and laziness, this allows about twice as many miles, if not more, inbetween oil changes.