What did you do to your Gen3 today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

xtremewlr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Fire it up, let it run for a couple minutes, shut it down and check the oil level again in about 5 minutes. Top it off to the dipstick fill line and THEN you are done.

Drunken Hamster

Turncoat Ford Boi
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2005
Engine
was 5.7 Hemi
Fire it up, let it run for a couple minutes, shut it down and check the oil level again in about 5 minutes. Top it off to the dipstick fill line and THEN you are done.
Current had about 6qts in it including the filter pre-fill. Gonna check, add another qt, do that, then I'm done, lol.

Sent from my magic 5-inch

Drunken Hamster

Turncoat Ford Boi
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2005
Engine
was 5.7 Hemi
Okay, I have maybe a pint or half pint left in my second gallon jug and I can't quite tell how full it is, but it seems to be reading about 2/3 to 3/4 of the way up the safe area. Am I good to dump the rest in?

Drunken Hamster

Turncoat Ford Boi
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2005
Engine
was 5.7 Hemi
Correction. It's about 2mm from the top of "safe".

I think I'm just gonna dump this half pint or so in. A hair over safe shouldn't hurt it, if it even goes over, and it'll keep it real simple the next time I use this combo at 8qts/2 gallons for the fill.

Drunken Hamster

Turncoat Ford Boi
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2005
Engine
was 5.7 Hemi

I think I'm just gonna dump this in. A hair over safe shouldn't hurt it, if it even goes over, and it'll keep it real simple the next time I use this combo at 8qts/2 gallons for the fill.

Drunken Hamster

Turncoat Ford Boi
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2005
Engine
was 5.7 Hemi
Current had about 6qts in it including the filter pre-fill. Gonna check, add another qt, do that, then I'm done, lol.

Okay, I have maybe a pint or half pint left in my second gallon jug and I can't quite tell how full it is, but it seems to be reading about 2/3 to 3/4 of the way up the safe area. Am I good to dump the rest in?

I think I'm just gonna dump this half pint or so in. A hair over safe shouldn't hurt it, if it even goes over, and it'll keep it real simple the next time I use this combo at 8qts/2 gallons for the fill.

I think I'm just gonna dump this in. A hair over safe shouldn't hurt it, if it even goes over, and it'll keep it real simple the next time I use this combo at 8qts/2 gallons for the fill.

Okay. So. 8 quarts in including the prefill of the Royal Purple 30-8a filter and it's 100% at the top of the safe zone. Perfect. Only thing is, it clicks LOUD when the oil has settled and needs to travel up the chain again. I almost thought something was wrong and this stuff CAUSED me to have a Hemi tick [or that I overfilled even though the dipstick says it's just full], but it seems that I just have to let it warm up and get the oil to the right places and it's golden. {and quiet}

Here are the two vids I made in worry, lol.

Last edited:

Demon-HeMi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2003, 2008, & 2013
Engine
(2) 5.7 HEMI, 3.7, & 3.6
Tearing the old truck bed apart so that they can be customized and worked into the new bed

041fa71af82397a76f7d0b2383dd3e8b.jpg

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Okay. So. 8 quarts in including the prefill of the Royal Purple 30-8a filter and it's 100% at the top of the safe zone. Perfect. Only thing is, it clicks LOUD when the oil has settled and needs to travel up the chain again. I almost thought something was wrong and this stuff CAUSED me to have a Hemi tick [or that I overfilled even though the dipstick says it's just full], but it seems that I just have to let it warm up and get the oil to the right places and it's golden. {and quiet}

Here are the two vids I made in worry, lol.

I haven't watched the videos yet, but of it ticks on start when *when it's cold* then goes away shortly after.... it sounds like you got loose or broken manifold bolts. Hemi tic is a constant tic, tic when cold then goes away when warm is mist likely mani bolt

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Drunken Hamster

Turncoat Ford Boi
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2005
Engine
was 5.7 Hemi
I haven't watched the videos yet, but of it ticks on start when *when it's cold* then goes away shortly after.... it sounds like you got loose or broken manifold bolts. Hemi tic is a constant tic, tic when cold then goes away when warm is mist likely mani bolt

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
I already know I have an exhaust leak. That's a flapping sound. This is more of a clack/clop sound. Sounds like it's coming from the crankcase or cam.

I'd listen to the videos. In any case, it'll be worried about and handled tomorrow.

Goodnight, guys.

ST-8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I don’t think I’ve ever put 8qts of oil in my truck. I can’t tell when I read your post sometime if you really really really overthink **** or trolling or what.

Just put headers on the ******* thing, it will be to loud to hear a tick then

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don’t think I’ve ever put 8qts of oil in my truck. I can’t tell when I read your post sometime if you really really really overthink **** or trolling or what.

lol!

Drunken Hamster

Turncoat Ford Boi
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2005
Engine
was 5.7 Hemi

I overthink ****. And I'm about 85% certain this new sound is due the oil needing to move up the chain from the oil pan. There's almost no unwanted mechanical engine noise when warm.

8 quarts is because I have a giant ass filter. I just checked the oil level and it's a tad past the safe zone. Should be fine.

Btw, a nice set of silver ceramic coated long tube headers are on my list. :)

bulrid8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have never seen a filter that holds 2.5 quarts.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Drunken Hamster

Turncoat Ford Boi
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2005
Engine
was 5.7 Hemi
I have never seen a filter that holds 2.5 quarts.

I kept filling up the filter, and the level kept going down again! Haha.

The truck is slightly over filled. Just by a 1/4 inch or 2-3mm on the dipstick. I'll get quarts next time, as long as it's not more expensive. I really wish the Redline gallons had those clear measurement strips....
77e702779f18e1300854ebf187843bed.jpg
501cd58fca4e42c206e0523e4d33410d.jpg

bulrid8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I kept filling up the filter, and the level kept going down again! Haha.

The truck is slightly over filled. Just by a 1/4 inch or 2-3mm on the dipstick. I'll get quarts next time, as long as it's not more expensive. I really wish the Redline gallons had those clear measurement strips....
77e702779f18e1300854ebf187843bed.jpg
501cd58fca4e42c206e0523e4d33410d.jpg

That should be a quart filter. Just watch, 1/4 inch on dipstick can be .5-1 quart over. Over full is as bad as under full. Causes the oil to foam and can cause cativation.

Drunken Hamster

Turncoat Ford Boi
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2005
Engine
was 5.7 Hemi
That should be a quart filter. Just watch, 1/4 inch on dipstick can be .5-1 quart over. Over full is as bad as under full. Causes the oil to foam and can cause cativation.

Okay. It burns a half quart every 2k ish. I'll be more careful on the fill next time for sure.

It's definitely not past the first dipstick "bump" after safe, though. Not even halfway there. So I'm thinking it'll be fine.

Sumbitch better be....

cliftonclendenen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
I think it's time to sell my truck.... I've been thinking about it for a while and I think it is the best option. It has had so many problems in the past year, and it seems this season it is starting to self destruct. Somewhat blown head gasket when cold, rusty bed with bondo filled in, wiring issues from previous owner putting in a viper fob, dealership ******* my paint and hvac lights, and now the new issue, when I turn the key it clicks but no start, after I cycle it for 5 mins it finally starts then key turns fine. But when I leave it sit for a while it wont start again. I just seems like it's not worth it anymore, too much money being put in for it to just break again. 141,000 miles is still low for this truck but for me it just isn't working out lol. Maybe I'll trade it in for a nice 2500 with a hemi or something. I love the truck but it seems like it doesn't love me at the time lol.

Drunken Hamster

Turncoat Ford Boi
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2005
Engine
was 5.7 Hemi
I think it's time to sell my truck.... I've been thinking about it for a while and I think it is the best option. It has had so many problems in the past year, and it seems this season it is starting to self destruct. Somewhat blown head gasket when cold, rusty bed with bondo filled in, wiring issues from previous owner putting in a viper fob, dealership ******* my paint and hvac lights, and now the new issue, when I turn the key it clicks but no start, after I cycle it for 5 mins it finally starts then key turns fine. But when I leave it sit for a while it wont start again. I just seems like it's not worth it anymore, too much money being put in for it to just break again. 141,000 miles is still low for this truck but for me it just isn't working out lol. Maybe I'll trade it in for a nice 2500 with a hemi or something. I love the truck but it seems like it doesn't love me at the time lol.
Get an SCRB hemi and throw a stick in it, kid. Have fun. Don't let a lemon get you down. :)

Jerseystyle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I know that feeling. Just put $200 in it in new coils just for that to not be the issue. Replacing the TPS tomorrow, hopefully that'll get it. There's still a lot of little issues here and here and sometimes I just don't know if it's worth it. I k ow I need new ball joints, I have a slow transfer case leak and I'm pretty sure a new exhaust is in my future. Not to mention new tires...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk