What do you lose when RAM connect on new truck expires?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DanAR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
My free description expires on my 2023 today and I’m not inclined to start a paid subscription service. So exactly what do I lose the use of? Sort of a mystery to me. My rather vague and probably poor understanding is I lose the phone app - remote start/lock, etc. But I never use that stuff anyway. Anything else - emergency call, roadside service?

Mike Wenrich

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2004.5, 2023 RAM 2500 Laramie 4x4
Engine
5.9 Diesel, 6.4 Hemi
I would be interested as well. I keep getting emails from RAM on all kinds of stuff for this computer on wheels. The U Connect remains a mystery to me. I was planning to call the dealer unless we get an answer here from someone who has found out by not renewing the subscription.

chaosh1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
you would loose,

Stolen car tracking assistance (usually a discount on auto insurance), remote start, remote lock, remote unlock, monthly health reports, parking lot vehicle finder (for those that cant remember were they parked), some will show oil life, fuel qty and tire pressures. The only thing I pay it for is the remote start and the SOS. I always give a few mins for the engine to warm up, i don't want to sit there so I remote start so i can jump in and go. But i drive the 2500 6.7 CTD. also the wife and kids tend to take the truck, so the SOS is priceless

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
you would loose,

Stolen car tracking assistance (usually a discount on auto insurance), remote start, remote lock, remote unlock, monthly health reports, parking lot vehicle finder (for those that cant remember were they parked), some will show oil life, fuel qty and tire pressures. The only thing I pay it for is the remote start and the SOS. I always give a few mins for the engine to warm up, i don't want to sit there so I remote start so i can jump in and go. But i drive the 2500 6.7 CTD. also the wife and kids tend to take the truck, so the SOS is priceless
Not quite all of that. Stolen car tracking is free for 10 years, health reports for 5 years:

IMG_0184.jpeg

IMG_0185.jpeg

IMG_0186.jpeg

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
From what i have been able to figure out,
you lose Navigation, if your radio has that, but your better off using one of the FREE GPS things that you use your phone apps & mirror the APP to your radios screen ??
Most things that you lose by not having Uconnect, you can use a phone APP, go to your Apple Store or Android thingy, plenty of free apps.

Maps, would be WAZE, WEGO, Google Maps, etc. Stay away from TOM TOM, if it is listed.

I believe that you also lose Messaging, but again, use your phone app

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
you lose Navigation, if your radio has that, but your better off using one of the FREE GPS things that you use your phone apps & mirror the APP to your radios screen ??
Most things that you lose by not having Uconnect, you can use a phone APP, go to your Apple Store or Android thingy, plenty of free apps.

Maps, would be WAZE, WEGO, Google Maps, etc. Stay away from TOM TOM, if it is listed.

You lose exactly what @Jimmy07 posted above.

skates15

Reaction score
Nav will work but you may lose updates. I work on a campus which takes me a while to get to the remote lot I park at and need the remote start from the app here in Minnesota in winter.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Yes, you also can't start your Ram that is Washington State while you are sitting on a beach in Florida.
Like how often does your relative that is in Washington State, need to use your Ram ?

Yes, that is part of Uconnect Advantage,
I guess that some people can't just call their relative & tell them where the Spare FOB is hidden.

And what happens when your relative shuts the Ram OFF at the grocery store ?
Do you have to call Uconnect again to get them back home ?
of course you do

Last edited:

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

The free year ended last January on my 2021 Warlock and the Nav & messaging still function. :cool:

I am also able to remote start with the FOB, not to be confused with the remote start function using the App that functions from another state or province.

I suspect the arrangement could vary by model year of the truck too.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
If RAM intended to make the Uconnect services confusing, they did one heck of a job at success.

I got an email this morning from RAM offering a discount on the first month of RAM Connect service. If I look at my RAM portal, it shows I have Vehicle Performance till 01/28/2027 and Safety and Security till 01/28/2032.

Then it shows I can purchase Assistance for $14.99 per month and Navigation for $9.99 per month, plus taxes. Since I run Android Auto I have no use for their Navigation package and in the event I go somewhere remote, I always have my trusty Garmin. Besides that, both Google Maps and Waze preload mapping data.

The Assistance Package offers useless service, at least for me, except for remote start. But in my use case, the FOB is all I need. The balance of service is Alexa, don't need it, I can ask Google through AA. Drive alerts, again, mirrored by Waze, and a smartwatch extension that allows me to check in on my vehicle, whatever that means. For goodness sakes, this isn't like checking in on a child at daycare.

Regardless, I am still left with confusion, what is RAM connect? All of these, some of these. And to offer something as pitiful as one month of reduced charges isn't going to excite me.

The vehicle health reports that are reported to be sent to you by email monthly, well, they used to show up in email but haven't in some time now. I guess the stolen vehicle tracking would be needed if, these services were included with the purchase. This is just my take on it.

Stavinksi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes, you also can't start your Ram that is Washington State while you are sitting on a beach in Florida.
Like how often does your relative that is in Washington State, need to use your Ram ?

Yes, that is part of Uconnect Advantage,
I guess that some people can't just call their relative & tell them where the Spare FOB is hidden.

And what happens when your relative shuts the Ram OFF at the grocery store ?
Do you have to call Uconnect again to get them back home ?
of course you do
Remote start does not allow driving the vehicle. You still need the fob to get in and press the run button before the truck will do anything even if it is running and also remotely unlocked.

Stavinksi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
let’s give a quick shout out to RAM for trying to add value added software features out of the vehicle even if it isn’t essential. Thank you for not ripping people off like BMW for subscription based heated seats and other ethically bankrupt schemes out there to create going revenue streams. Keep it morally defensible and you will have loyal customers. Some of whom may even subscribe. On my second 1500 and looking forward to hoping I can afford the REV. Day 1 reservation holder here. No subscriptions to use hardware that’s in the truck! @RamCares

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
let’s give a quick shout out to RAM for trying to add value added software features out of the vehicle even if it isn’t essential. Thank you for not ripping people off like BMW for subscription based heated seats and other ethically bankrupt schemes out there to create going revenue streams. Keep it morally defensible and you will have loyal customers. Some of whom may even subscribe. On my second 1500 and looking forward to hoping I can afford the REV. Day 1 reservation holder here. No subscriptions to use hardware that’s in the truck! @RamCares
Kia is another one doing that.

OP
OP
DanAR

DanAR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Thanks for the replies. It doesn’t sound like there’s really anything associated with it that I personally use.

Now I just have to decide if I want to renew Sirius. I dumped them finally last year after their usual tripling of rates and attack on my credit card. I refused to resubscribe unless they would take a check. They wouldn’t and I didn’t. I was sick of that annual call in to beg a decent rate. Might consider just the base music package if they will do a 2 yr term.

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Thanks for the replies. It doesn’t sound like there’s really anything associated with it that I personally use.

Now I just have to decide if I want to renew Sirius. I dumped them finally last year after their usual tripling of rates and attack on my credit card. I refused to resubscribe unless they would take a check. They wouldn’t and I didn’t. I was sick of that annual call in to beg a decent rate. Might consider just the base music package if they will do a 2 yr term.

For while I was doing that for Radio. I hate normal 'free' radio. There is always talking even on stations that are supposed to be "music"
I was doing 1 year term. I forgot the exact price, But they gave 3/4 discount. Then you had to call, wait on hold forever, say your going cancel then finally they would give discount again.

I switch to Amazon Music. $110 a year, works on both phones(android/iPhone) plus of course Alexa devices which I have in every room. Set up 5+ accounts
I download all music I like in to my playlist and play it in off-line mode Have over 3K songs on my phone. Doesn't use data, and always works.

There are other services that are same, I just like that one.

Guardian thing, they wouldn't give any discount and I think it's mostly useless for the price.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I believe I pay about $80 Canadastan for a year of Sirius. I have a system, no waiting on hold, no fuss.

I keep track of my subscription (mostly) and call a few days before it expires.

Call customer service, ask to be transferred to the customer retention department, ask for the best deal of the day, and set for the next 6-12 months, depending on the deals of the day.

And it's not like it was 10 years ago when you had to beg or barter on the phone with them. They've been extraordinarily pleasant and easy-going with the entire process.

For the last many years, the customer service for Sirius Canada has been handled from a call center in Eqypt. I would expect they also handle the USA but don't know for certain. :cool:

Last edited:

Gdwheel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You need to look again at BMW. That is not what they do. In fact, BMW provides more for longer without a subscription than Ram. Ram and GM are the worst I have experienced for gouging for basic things that other manufacturers provide longer for free.