What did you do to your Gen3 today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

02ramboi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 v8
Y’all adding 27 extra pages to this thread of led taillight nitpicking, an I’m happy with my $97 dollar led ebay tails... lol

Same here with me lol I have the same

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jerseystyle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
if you have the 4.7 then it may be a bad timing chain guide, they are just crap plastic, whats it doing, why do you think its the timing chain? any codes?
I followed your previous advice and checked the cylinders for possible HG leak and found nothing.

Stealership wants a $115 Just to diagnose but I doubt they'll check the timing.

Shouldn't be to much to just pull the valve covers and check the marks. Only costs me time and effort.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Demon-HeMi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2003, 2008, & 2013
Engine
(2) 5.7 HEMI, 3.7, & 3.6

No codes. Intermittent bucking/Misfire. Replaced cam and crank sensors, coils, plugs, egr, TPS. When I first start her up strong fuel smell and my gas mileage is utter $hit.

I'm at 175k.

looks like you have done your homework, you have covered alot of basis that i would have suggested, with you not getting any codes then it wont be a head gasket leak as that would throw a misfire code, the strong fuel smell when starting up makes me question the injectors, before tearing down the motor for timing, make sure you dont have a stuck/leaking injector which could cause a random bucking and a strong gas smell when starting up. if the timing belt is lose or the tension guides were wearing out you would definitely hear some noise from the timing area.

Jerseystyle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
looks like you have done your homework, you have covered alot of basis that i would have suggested, with you not getting any codes then it wont be a head gasket leak as that would throw a misfire code, the strong fuel smell when starting up makes me question the injectors, before tearing down the motor for timing, make sure you dont have a stuck/leaking injector which could cause a random bucking and a strong gas smell when starting up. if the timing belt is lose or the tension guides were wearing out you would definitely hear some noise from the timing area.
Thought about pulling the fuel rail and injectors and using some carb cleaner/plastic syringe to bench test each injector just a tad bit of work.

Demon-HeMi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2003, 2008, & 2013
Engine
(2) 5.7 HEMI, 3.7, & 3.6
Thought about pulling the fuel rail and injectors and using some carb cleaner/plastic syringe to bench test each injector just a tad bit of work.

yeah its a little more work but its something to check while you have the valve covers pulled off and am already under the hood, and both of those combined is less work than removing the timing cover on that motor lol!

for ***** and grins, you may check all fuses and relays, ive seen in rare cases a tripped fuse or failing relay can cause some problems like that and not throw a code (happened to a friend, had a relay start to slip and his truck would randomly nut up on him)

Jerseystyle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
yeah its a little more work but its something to check while you have the valve covers pulled off and am already under the hood, and both of those combined is less work than removing the timing cover on that motor lol!

for ***** and grins, you may check all fuses and relays, ive seen in rare cases a tripped fuse or failing relay can cause some problems like that and not throw a code (happened to a friend, had a relay start to slip and his truck would randomly nut up on him)
What relays are you thinking?

Demon-HeMi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2003, 2008, & 2013
Engine
(2) 5.7 HEMI, 3.7, & 3.6
What relays are you thinking?

its been so long since that happend, id just start checking em all, with the truck running, try giving each one a hard tap and see if anything changes

Jerseystyle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This is my second favorite meme after torque wrench memes lol
044b49c665de1de92c489729b6932ea4.jpg

I Bleed Ram Trucks
LOL

I wish my truck was throwing codes. That's the most frustrating part...not having a starting point.

Demon-HeMi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2003, 2008, & 2013
Engine
(2) 5.7 HEMI, 3.7, & 3.6
LOL

I wish my truck was throwing codes. That's the most frustrating part...not having a starting point.

gotta love how they add all this computer crap that gives you a code for baby **** problems but when you have a real problem its like "nope not telling you ****"

my buddies 3.7 randomly stumbles on hard acceleration and is getting no codes, he is gona bring it over so i can see if my computer will tell us anything

Jerseystyle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
gotta love how they add all this computer crap that gives you a code for baby **** problems but when you have a real problem its like "nope not telling you ****"

my buddies 3.7 randomly stumbles on hard acceleration and is getting no codes, he is gona bring it over so i can see if my computer will tell us anything
Makes no sense that there's only 1 cam position sensor but 2 cams...

02ramboi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 v8
So with that being said lol what is the torque on the bolts for the driveshaft I’m not sure if to just hand tighten or they need to be really tight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jerseystyle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
only one matters lol
Another reason I'm thinking timing is the fuel smell... Maybe it's spraying fuel the same time an exhaust valve is still open?!