What did you do to your Gen3 today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
No weird sounds, it must have blown apart instantly on the shift so it didn’t go into 2nd. It took a minute to figure out what happened but I just drove home in 1,3 and 4th. That’s the perk of a manual valvebody. The piece was just sitting in the bottom of the pan

I Bleed Ram Trucks

I’m assuming that if it wasn’t a manual valve body then your trany would’ve been toast?

I know nothing as you can tell, especially tranys lol.

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
I’m assuming that if it wasn’t a manual valve body then your trany would’ve been toast?

No, just that if you had the computer handling the shifting it probably would have been searching for 2nd gear. With my manual I can just skip the gear and keep driving

I Bleed Ram Trucks

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
No, just that if you had the computer handling the shifting it probably would have been searching for 2nd gear. With my manual I can just skip the gear and keep driving

I Bleed Ram Trucks

I gotchya now, I was thinking you had an auto trans. I didn’t put two n two together. Duh MANUAL valve body. :doh2: Me!

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
I gotchya now, I was thinking you had an auto trans. I didn’t put two n two together. Duh MANUAL valve body. :doh2: Me!

Haha it’s alittle confusing. It’s an automatic transmission but all the electronics have been removed for the swap into my 3rd gen. So all the shifting is handled with a race style shifter mounted in my center console. P-R-1-2-3-4 pattern

I Bleed Ram Trucks

Demon-HeMi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2003, 2008, & 2013
Engine
(2) 5.7 HEMI, 3.7, & 3.6
So you're saying if the title's clean, carfax is good, and I don't see or feel any mechanical issues during the test drive, it should be [emoji817] and a good idea?

Sent from my magic 5-inch

If a reg cab is what you want, then yes id do it, $1200 to get me what im looking for and been wanting, i wouldnt be able to pull the cash out my pocket fast enough

Fishstickz

Reaction score
Ram Year
'06, '16
Engine
3.7, 5.7 Hemi
Its been a minute since I posted but I called the exhaust shop and got my muffler on order and will (hopefully) be getting it done soon. I decided on a magnaflow 14" and if I really don't like the sound I could always just replace it with something else, I just want them pipes lol

Also, since only 1 of my doors has the badging on it for some reason, I'm considering buying some new RAM TRX badges off ebay and slapping those on. I think the red outline gives a lil pop to it

Lil_Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Power tech 3.7L
Slapped my new axle in yesterday with all new brakes and line to the frame. Went to 3.92s and now pulling a 18ft trailer down to the in laws to pick up furniture get pics later. I can definitely feel a difference in low end get up and go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fishstickz

Reaction score
Ram Year
'06, '16
Engine
3.7, 5.7 Hemi
Slapped my new axle in yesterday with all new brakes and line to the frame. Went to 3.92s and now pulling a 18ft trailer down to the in laws to pick up furniture get pics later. I can definitely feel a difference in low end get up and go.

I know you probably haven't had the 3.92s on for too long but how are you liking them so far? Sometime down the road I'm wanting to upgrade from the 3.55s and I'm thinking 4.10s with the 4-spd would match well for highway driving and hauling decent loads

By "decent" I mean a small trailer, the largest load it would ever have is our boat

Last edited:

Lil_Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Power tech 3.7L
I know you probably haven't had the 3.92s on for too long but how are you liking them so far? Sometime down the road I'm wanting to upgrade from the 3.55s and I'm thinking 4.10s with the 4-spd would match well for highway driving and hauling decent loads

By "decent" I mean a small trailer, the largest load it would ever have is our boat

I’ve really only driven with the trailer tomorrow will be the tell but I feel a bit more low end torque.

Demon-HeMi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2003, 2008, & 2013
Engine
(2) 5.7 HEMI, 3.7, & 3.6

you have a 5 speed trans brother, all 3g rams do, the early 02-03 rams had a 4 speed but a simple computer swap gave you that virtual 5th gear that we all have, but ill tell you this about gears, Lil Ram is lifted with big tires and all of that, his 3.92 gears are not much different than your 3.55s you are running on your truck after you add in all the extra on his truck, those gears just make it much easier for the little 3.7 to get his truck rolling...

in your trucks configuration, id stick with your 3.55s, i wouldnt touch a 4.10, now if you plan to lift your truck on 37s then by all means go for that kind of gearing, hell Lil Ram would probably benefit greatly from going to a 4.56 gear with his setup.

but the problem is with your small tire size and having the little 3.7, you are going to run into highway driving problems just like my 3/4 ton has, my 08 has a 4.10 gear ratio and going down the highway im pushing 2500 RPMs at 70-75 MPH, the little 3.7 is going to run higher RPMs than the hemi as it is, so your truck will be great around town and probably ok up to 60-65mph.

but that 3.7 is not a strong motor by any means neither is its big brother the 4.7, and i would be terrified of running that motor at over 2 grand for any long length of time, ive had and seen too many of them fail pre-maturely so i wouldn't want to put extra strain on it for no reason

aheeejd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
Hey guys, came across this, thought it was interesting. I have an 03. What makes the 04 so special? It doesn't mention the hemi but it's gotta be only the hemi that's worth anything in the future. 5aef6b41160dfdf4122d5b435bff7f97.png

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Wilnel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey guys, came across this, thought it was interesting. I have an 03. What makes the 04 so special? It doesn't mention the hemi but it's gotta be only the hemi that's worth anything in the future. 5aef6b41160dfdf4122d5b435bff7f97.png

just a clickbait site, doubt there is any research to back that assertion up

aheeejd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
just a clickbait site, doubt there is any research to back that assertion up
Yeah your probably right. I did get there by clicking on a link in faceturd.

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
It’s sad, a lot of ol’ 3rd gen made it to the crushers for stupid electrical problems that nobody could figure out. I’m sure they weren’t in the best of shape but probably not ready for scrap yet.

Fishstickz

Reaction score
Ram Year
'06, '16
Engine
3.7, 5.7 Hemi
you have a 5 speed trans brother, all 3g rams do, the early 02-03 rams had a 4 speed but a simple computer swap gave you that virtual 5th gear that we all have, but ill tell you this about gears, Lil Ram is lifted with big tires and all of that, his 3.92 gears are not much different than your 3.55s you are running on your truck after you add in all the extra on his truck, those gears just make it much easier for the little 3.7 to get his truck rolling...

in your trucks configuration, id stick with your 3.55s, i wouldnt touch a 4.10, now if you plan to lift your truck on 37s then by all means go for that kind of gearing, hell Lil Ram would probably benefit greatly from going to a 4.56 gear with his setup.

but the problem is with your small tire size and having the little 3.7, you are going to run into highway driving problems just like my 3/4 ton has, my 08 has a 4.10 gear ratio and going down the highway im pushing 2500 RPMs at 70-75 MPH, the little 3.7 is going to run higher RPMs than the hemi as it is, so your truck will be great around town and probably ok up to 60-65mph.

but that 3.7 is not a strong motor by any means neither is its big brother the 4.7, and i would be terrified of running that motor at over 2 grand for any long length of time, ive had and seen too many of them fail pre-maturely so i wouldn't want to put extra strain on it for no reason

My build sheet lists my trans as the 42RLE. I read somewhere its just a small, cheaper 4-speed they put under vehicles without much torque. It has similar ratios to the RFE but only has 1 overdrive gear instead of 2

My problem is even small hills force me to upshift into 3rd gear which hits about 2800 RPM at 65. I feel the trans is gonna go out prematurely because of how much shifting it has to do just to maintain speed, so I was hoping a gear swap would help the truck maintain speed without shifting as much.

I ran it through a gear swap calculator and it made it seem like it would be running 2000 at around 65-70. It looks to be a 300 RPM increase overall which would (hopefully) be enough to keep the truck rolling without having to shift as often. I might be missing something because I'm quite uneducated in this area so if I'm wrong by all means let me know lmao

Demon-HeMi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2003, 2008, & 2013
Engine
(2) 5.7 HEMI, 3.7, & 3.6
My build sheet lists my trans as the 42RLE. I read somewhere its just a small, cheaper 4-speed they put under vehicles without much torque. It has similar ratios to the RFE but only has 1 overdrive gear instead of 2

My problem is even small hills force me to upshift into 3rd gear which hits about 2800 RPM at 65. I feel the trans is gonna go out prematurely because of how much shifting it has to do just to maintain speed, so I was hoping a gear swap would help the truck maintain speed without shifting as much.

I ran it through a gear swap calculator and it made it seem like it would be running 2000 at around 65-70. It looks to be a 300 RPM increase overall which would (hopefully) be enough to keep the truck rolling without having to shift as often. I might be missing something because I'm quite uneducated in this area so if I'm wrong by all means let me know lmao

well the 300 Rpm increase would definitely help your hill climbing, my 3/4 ton doesnt even come close to having to downshift going up steep inclines, but again that is at the cost of higher RPMs going down the highway, if your truck really has a 4 speed and you live in a hilly area it would probably best for you to do the gear swap to help keep you from shifting so much

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
well the 300 Rpm increase would definitely help your hill climbing, my 3/4 ton doesnt even come close to having to downshift going up steep inclines, but again that is at the cost of higher RPMs going down the highway, if your truck really has a 4 speed and you live in a hilly area it would probably best for you to do the gear swap to help keep you from shifting so much

The 545rfe for all intensive purposes is really a 4 speed, 1st, 2nd and 3rd year are close to the same ratios as the previous 4 speed 46re’s and related transmissions. The final overdrive is exactly the same too. Only thing they did was add a .75 ratio overdrive gear in between 3rd (1:1 ratio) and the final gear ratio of .67. It was a useless gear that was probably only done for marketing. Looking at the 42le gear ratios they are almost exactly the same as the 45/545rfe. His problem is just a low power v6 doesn’t have the stones to keep it in overdrive going up a hill, but my Hemi and 545 would still kick out of overdrive going up decent hills. Running it uphill in 3rd gear is better for the transmission anyways

I Bleed Ram Trucks

Demon-HeMi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2003, 2008, & 2013
Engine
(2) 5.7 HEMI, 3.7, & 3.6
The 545rfe for all intensive purposes is really a 4 speed, 1st, 2nd and 3rd year are close to the same ratios as the previous 4 speed 46re’s and related transmissions. The final overdrive is exactly the same too. Only thing they did was add a .75 ratio overdrive gear in between 3rd (1:1 ratio) and the final gear ratio of .67. It was a useless gear that was probably only done for marketing. Looking at the 42le gear ratios they are almost exactly the same as the 45/545rfe. His problem is just a low power v6 doesn’t have the stones to keep it in overdrive going up a hill, but my Hemi and 545 would still kick out of overdrive going up decent hills. Running it uphill in 3rd gear is better for the transmission anyways

I Bleed Ram Trucks

yeah i knew that about the 545rfe, i know my 03 didnt drop all the way down to 3rd on a hill unless i was really pushing on the gas, every 3rd gen ram ive owned has had the 545Rfe and they were the same way, even my 3.7s didnt struggle that much going uphill, yes they were worked harder than my hemis did but still the 3.7 wasnt downshifting to 3rd unless i was really pushing the gas

i need to get my black truck out and on the highway and see what it does...