Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Dodge Truck Forums > Dodge Ram Generations Forum > 3rd Gen : 2002 - 2008 > General Discussions


General Discussions

What did you do to your Gen3 today?


This is a discussion on What did you do to your Gen3 today? within the General Discussions forums, part of the 3rd Gen : 2002 - 2008 category!
Originally Posted by Demon-HeMi man after going through harvey here in houston i know that pain all too well, glad ...


Like Tree4221Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2017, 02:09 PM   #7561 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Miami Florida
Age: 30
Posts: 492

Ram Year: 2002
Engine: 4.7 v8
Default
Originally Posted by Demon-HeMi View Post
man after going through harvey here in houston i know that pain all too well, glad your safe man!



BTW yall have some strange mailboxes


Yeah that's most important being safe and those are some old school mail boxes that you can put plants at the bottom all that was done after hurricane Andrew in 1992.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Sponsored Ad
Register to remove this ad.
02ramboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 07:50 PM   #7562 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 155

Ram Year: 2002
Engine: Magnum 5.9
Default
Well idk what's going on, my truck has almost like a ticking/clunking noise coming from the driveshaft (more driveline problems yay) and I took it to a shop and the tech there seems to think the core of the driveshaft is deteriorated and is unbalanced and clunking around the inside of the shaft itself. anybody know if this is possible? I don't want to get screwed into buying an $800 driveshaft if I don't need to
DietDodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 08:44 PM   #7563 (permalink)
 
RonJon '06's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Southern Minnesota
Age: 48
Posts: 3,277

Ram Year: 2006, 1985
Engine: 5.7, 360
Default
Originally Posted by DietDodge View Post
Well idk what's going on, my truck has almost like a ticking/clunking noise coming from the driveshaft (more driveline problems yay) and I took it to a shop and the tech there seems to think the core of the driveshaft is deteriorated and is unbalanced and clunking around the inside of the shaft itself. anybody know if this is possible? I don't want to get screwed into buying an $800 driveshaft if I don't need to
I've never heard of that one before. Can you pull the driveshaft and have it checked?
RonJon '06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 09:02 PM   #7564 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Miami Florida
Age: 30
Posts: 492

Ram Year: 2002
Engine: 4.7 v8
Default
Originally Posted by DietDodge View Post
Well idk what's going on, my truck has almost like a ticking/clunking noise coming from the driveshaft (more driveline problems yay) and I took it to a shop and the tech there seems to think the core of the driveshaft is deteriorated and is unbalanced and clunking around the inside of the shaft itself. anybody know if this is possible? I don't want to get screwed into buying an $800 driveshaft if I don't need to


I really never heard of that before usually noises like that are the u joint make sure there not trying to make money out of you I would get a second opinion maybe from a driveline shop if they have around by you


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
02ramboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 10:51 PM   #7565 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 155

Ram Year: 2002
Engine: Magnum 5.9
Default
Originally Posted by 02ramboi View Post
I really never heard of that before usually noises like that are the u joint make sure there not trying to make money out of you I would get a second opinion maybe from a driveline shop if they have around by you


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I just had the ujoints replaced, but I googled this and couldn't find squat about it. I think they might be tryin to screw me here. But if that really is the problem then after I fix it I'm selling the truck, I just can't deal with problem after problem especially when it's all expensive driveline stuff that leaves me stranded all the time.

Edit- after extensive research I've found that inside a driveshaft sometimes there is cardboard used as a sound/vibration barrier. However is it possible that it's come unglued from the inside wall of the driveshaft and is rattling around inside? Seems kinda fishy to me. I'm just not real fond of spending $800 on a new driveshaft. Pls someone send help, pretty sure this truck is gonna kill me.
02ramboi likes this.

Last edited by DietDodge; 09-14-2017 at 12:38 AM.
DietDodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 10:32 AM   #7566 (permalink)
 
Lil_Ram's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 1,128

Ram Year: 2003
Engine: Power tech 3.7L
Default What did you do to your Gen3 today?
Originally Posted by DietDodge View Post
I just had the ujoints replaced, but I googled this and couldn't find squat about it. I think they might be tryin to screw me here. But if that really is the problem then after I fix it I'm selling the truck, I just can't deal with problem after problem especially when it's all expensive driveline stuff that leaves me stranded all the time.

Edit- after extensive research I've found that inside a driveshaft sometimes there is cardboard used as a sound/vibration barrier. However is it possible that it's come unglued from the inside wall of the driveshaft and is rattling around inside? Seems kinda fishy to me. I'm just not real fond of spending $800 on a new driveshaft. Pls someone send help, pretty sure this truck is gonna kill me.


I got one from a custom shop outta Utah for $225 shipped. The guys name is CJTatton on EBay.
Was an EBay ad but the guy builds them on the side and sells them very pleased with it.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DietDodge and 02ramboi like this.


__________________
3.7l
35s on 18
7in lift
CAI

Last edited by Lil_Ram; 09-14-2017 at 10:39 AM.
Lil_Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 12:58 PM   #7567 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 155

Ram Year: 2002
Engine: Magnum 5.9
Default
Originally Posted by Lil_Ram View Post
I got one from a custom shop outta Utah for $225 shipped. The guys name is CJTatton on EBay.
Was an EBay ad but the guy builds them on the side and sells them very pleased with it.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That'd be awesome if I could get one for that price, problem is mine truck is a crew cab long bed so the 2 piece is longer than most of the rams out there. Only one I could find that would fit is factory order only, might go have to find a used one.
DietDodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 01:02 PM   #7568 (permalink)
 
Lil_Ram's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 1,128

Ram Year: 2003
Engine: Power tech 3.7L
Default
Originally Posted by DietDodge View Post
That'd be awesome if I could get one for that price, problem is mine truck is a crew cab long bed so the 2 piece is longer than most of the rams out there. Only one I could find that would fit is factory order only, might go have to find a used one.


Email the dude he does custom lengths worse case scenario he tells you no.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


__________________
3.7l
35s on 18
7in lift
CAI
Lil_Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 07:03 PM   #7569 (permalink)
 
Johnnymac2k6's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Ohio
Posts: 795

Ram Year: 2007 Ram 1500
Engine: 5.7 Hemi
Default
Hood Pin Install!

More Pics here

3rd Gen Ram "Pre-Runner" Appearance Budget Build
Attached Thumbnails
20170914_162802_resized.jpg  


__________________
2007 Ram 1500 Prerunner QuadCab 4x4
JBA Stainless Long Tube Headers/True Dual Exhaust
Custom Jay Greene Tune,CAI,Perf Aluminum radiator
Fiberwerx Panels, Prerunner Bumper/LED's
Johnnymac2k6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 05:53 PM   #7570 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 155

Ram Year: 2002
Engine: Magnum 5.9
Default
UPDATE: SCREW AAMCO. I came to a small driveshaft shop here and within 5 minutes he had my driveshaft off and showed me the ujoint that was broken. $100 fix or $800 driveshaft? Aamco is a scam.
RonJon '06 and 02ramboi like this.
DietDodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
3rd gen ram modifications, dodge ram modifications


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
got another box today.. Graygoose Engine & Performance 28 06-14-2012 04:31 PM
What I Did Today..... CAROLINA BAREFOOT General Discussions 17 06-23-2011 09:11 AM
CEL came on today HELP shadow11 Tech Info 17 02-08-2011 07:21 AM

<




GM Truck Forum
Ford Raptor Forum
Chevy Tahoe Forum
Chevy Cobalt Forum
Chevy Camaro Forum
Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Ford Truck Forum
88-98 GM Truck Forum
73-87 Gm Truck Forum
Ford Expedition Forum
Chevy Equinox Forum
Chevy Cruze Forum
Jeep Liberty Forum
Jeep Forum
Dodge Ram SRT10 Forum
Chrysler 200 Forum
Scion xD Forum
Scion xB Forum
Dodge Challenger Forum
SRT Forum
Nissan Titan Forum
Buick Enclave Forum
Cadillac Forum
Cadillac XTS Forum