Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Dodge Truck Forums > Dodge Ram Generations Forum > 3rd Gen : 2002 - 2008 > General Discussions

General Discussions

What did you do to your Gen3 today?

This is a discussion on What did you do to your Gen3 today? within the General Discussions forums, part of the 3rd Gen : 2002 - 2008 category!
Originally Posted by Demon-HeMi man after going through harvey here in houston i know that pain all too well, glad ...

Like Tree4221Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2017, 02:09 PM   #7561 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2002
Engine: 4.7 v8
Originally Posted by Demon-HeMi View Post
man after going through harvey here in houston i know that pain all too well, glad your safe man!

BTW yall have some strange mailboxes

Yeah that's most important being safe and those are some old school mail boxes that you can put plants at the bottom all that was done after hurricane Andrew in 1992.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsored Ad
Register to remove this ad.
02ramboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 07:50 PM   #7562 (permalink)

Engine: Magnum 5.9
Well idk what's going on, my truck has almost like a ticking/clunking noise coming from the driveshaft (more driveline problems yay) and I took it to a shop and the tech there seems to think the core of the driveshaft is deteriorated and is unbalanced and clunking around the inside of the shaft itself. anybody know if this is possible? I don't want to get screwed into buying an $800 driveshaft if I don't need to
DietDodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 08:44 PM   #7563 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2006, 1985
Engine: 5.7, 360
Originally Posted by DietDodge View Post
Well idk what's going on, my truck has almost like a ticking/clunking noise coming from the driveshaft (more driveline problems yay) and I took it to a shop and the tech there seems to think the core of the driveshaft is deteriorated and is unbalanced and clunking around the inside of the shaft itself. anybody know if this is possible? I don't want to get screwed into buying an $800 driveshaft if I don't need to
I've never heard of that one before. Can you pull the driveshaft and have it checked?
RonJon '06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 09:02 PM   #7564 (permalink)

Engine: 4.7 v8

I really never heard of that before usually noises like that are the u joint make sure there not trying to make money out of you I would get a second opinion maybe from a driveline shop if they have around by you

02ramboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 10:51 PM   #7565 (permalink)

Originally Posted by 02ramboi View Post
I really never heard of that before usually noises like that are the u joint make sure there not trying to make money out of you I would get a second opinion maybe from a driveline shop if they have around by you

I just had the ujoints replaced, but I googled this and couldn't find squat about it. I think they might be tryin to screw me here. But if that really is the problem then after I fix it I'm selling the truck, I just can't deal with problem after problem especially when it's all expensive driveline stuff that leaves me stranded all the time.

Edit- after extensive research I've found that inside a driveshaft sometimes there is cardboard used as a sound/vibration barrier. However is it possible that it's come unglued from the inside wall of the driveshaft and is rattling around inside? Seems kinda fishy to me. I'm just not real fond of spending $800 on a new driveshaft. Pls someone send help, pretty sure this truck is gonna kill me.
02ramboi likes this.

Last edited by DietDodge; 09-14-2017 at 12:38 AM.
Old 09-14-2017, 10:32 AM   #7566 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2003
Engine: Power tech 3.7L
Default What did you do to your Gen3 today?
I just had the ujoints replaced, but I googled this and couldn't find squat about it. I think they might be tryin to screw me here. But if that really is the problem then after I fix it I'm selling the truck, I just can't deal with problem after problem especially when it's all expensive driveline stuff that leaves me stranded all the time.

Edit- after extensive research I've found that inside a driveshaft sometimes there is cardboard used as a sound/vibration barrier. However is it possible that it's come unglued from the inside wall of the driveshaft and is rattling around inside? Seems kinda fishy to me. I'm just not real fond of spending $800 on a new driveshaft. Pls someone send help, pretty sure this truck is gonna kill me.

I got one from a custom shop outta Utah for $225 shipped. The guys name is CJTatton on EBay.
Was an EBay ad but the guy builds them on the side and sells them very pleased with it.

DietDodge and 02ramboi like this.

CAI

Last edited by Lil_Ram; 09-14-2017 at 10:39 AM.
Lil_Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 12:58 PM   #7567 (permalink)

Originally Posted by Lil_Ram View Post
I got one from a custom shop outta Utah for $225 shipped. The guys name is CJTatton on EBay.
Was an EBay ad but the guy builds them on the side and sells them very pleased with it.

That'd be awesome if I could get one for that price, problem is mine truck is a crew cab long bed so the 2 piece is longer than most of the rams out there. Only one I could find that would fit is factory order only, might go have to find a used one.
Old 09-14-2017, 01:02 PM   #7568 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2003
Engine: Power tech 3.7L
That'd be awesome if I could get one for that price, problem is mine truck is a crew cab long bed so the 2 piece is longer than most of the rams out there. Only one I could find that would fit is factory order only, might go have to find a used one.

Email the dude he does custom lengths worse case scenario he tells you no.

CAI
Lil_Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 07:03 PM   #7569 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2007 Ram 1500
Engine: 5.7 Hemi
Hood Pin Install!

More Pics here

3rd Gen Ram "Pre-Runner" Appearance Budget Build
Attached Thumbnails
20170914_162802_resized.jpg  

Fiberwerx Panels, Prerunner Bumper/LED's
Johnnymac2k6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 05:53 PM   #7570 (permalink)

UPDATE: SCREW AAMCO. I came to a small driveshaft shop here and within 5 minutes he had my driveshaft off and showed me the ujoint that was broken. $100 fix or $800 driveshaft? Aamco is a scam.
RonJon '06 and 02ramboi like this.

Tags
3rd gen ram modifications, dodge ram modifications