What to do with Hemi

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cwakefld

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well, I had to replace my engine. My old engine has a broken valve spring and we assume that caused a hole in the piston. The engine has 107,000 miles on it. It was also driven to where we changed the engine and there were no knocks or other sounds coming from it. Just running on 7 cylinders. I plan to scope the cylinder tomorrow to confirm damage. Does anyone have any idea is this is sellable. If what what is a rough approximation of the value?

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
It can be sold, you wont get get alot in its current setup, prob just what a core price would be. Have you pulled the head on that side yet to check the cylinder wall? I had #3 blow apart a ringland and didnt touch the cyclinder wall because of the cam lift, stock cam it would have chewed the wall to hell. You could do a mild build on your end and swap it in. Where bouts do you live? Might have a sjop near you that would be intrested in it for a build.

OP
OP
cwakefld

cwakefld

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I live in central Illinois. Near Champaign. I have not taken the head off yet. Never done any inner motor work. And I broke two bolts off just taking the valve cover off. Don't want to break anything else.

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Damn valve cover bolts dont normaly break, the exhaust manafold bolts is another story. If you can get your hands on a motor stand put it on a stand and tinker with it. You will only need a few metric sockets and the whole motor can be pulled down. I know you have said you havent done motor work before but you would be supriesed how quick you can pull down these motors on a stand. Me and Richard had mine down to the bare block with the full roataing asm out in 15 mins (right tools make it fast)... that was taking our time and laughing about the holes in the block and wiggling my bent rod out.

OP
OP
cwakefld

cwakefld

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well, the engine swap went amazing. Partially due to a friend who is a mechanic who answered the phone at 1am and delivered a set of the tools to remove the fuel line and also came through with a spanner wrench we didn't have for the fan at about 6am the same day. He asked what I was doing with the motor. He wanted it to take apart and learn from, he usually works on CTD. He drag races and truck pulls with the same twin turbo 3rd gen CTD. I gave the motor to him for being there when it mattered.

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Good deal on giving him the motor. You should swing by there when he pulls it down, pretty neat how simple they are. The stock pistons have a narrow ringland and not a thick top towards the center. The pistons and rods are fairly light, pulling the crank and the cam you will see alot of the motor weight there.

OP
OP
cwakefld

cwakefld

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good deal on giving him the motor. You should swing by there when he pulls it down, pretty neat how simple they are. The stock pistons have a narrow ringland and not a thick top towards the center. The pistons and rods are fairly light, pulling the crank and the cam you will see alot of the motor weight there.

I gave him the engine on the condition that when he took it down, he would call me so I could come watch. I am anxious to see how it works as well. And would also like to see the actual damage to that cylinder.