wiper issues....need help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

glass3222

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
HELP ..... I think my wipers have a mind of their own and don't like the cold

When using intermittent they always work, but instead of wiping once then pause, they will go 2 r 3 times in a row then pause. Then work normal for a while, then go 2-3 times. This is not that big of a deal, just annoying at times.

The BIGGER issue, is that when the temp gets below 35*F, they move very slow in any setting (INT, high and low). Then if the temp gets below 25*F, they will not move. They are not froze to the windshield either.

So has anyone had these issues? How do I fix? New wiper motor?

AWE Daniel

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Motor or relay. My other truck did the double triple wipe sometimes.

OP
OP
glass3222

glass3222

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Motor or relay. My other truck did the double triple wipe sometimes.

the double wipe is not that big of a deal, not working at all when it is cold out is a safety issue that I am not thrilled about

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Think its the motor. My wifes 05 has done it once before when she went to leave one morning, we have a motor on order for her truck.

OP
OP
glass3222

glass3222

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Think its the motor. My wifes 05 has done it once before when she went to leave one morning, we have a motor on order for her truck.

A dude on DT suggested swapping relays. The fog light relay is the same as the 2 wiper motor relays. I am going to try that first. If it does not work I will get a new motor. I found advance auto has replacement wiper motors for about $35.

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Yeah hers is coming through napa for bout the same cost. There was a small recall on 05s with bad wiper motors, hers was just outside the vin range I think.

Deviate

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 4x2
Engine
Mine was doing the same thing. I swapped the relay with the one for the fogs and it seems to have fixed it for me.

RubberFrog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If swapping the relay works, it's most likely because you have some corrosion on the contacts. There is nothing in the relay itself that could cause it to triple wipe.

OP
OP
glass3222

glass3222

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I swapped the fog light relay and the wiper high/low relay. Seems to have fixed the hating the cold issue, at least for today. If this doesn't work I am going to swap out the wiper motor. Not sure if it will fix the intermittent issues or not, I am not to concerned with them.

OP
OP
glass3222

glass3222

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
well it was 18*F this morning, wipers did not work so I guess I need to get a new motor :(

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
Rus,
Like everything on our trucks it isn't easy to trouble shoot. But since this is temperature related, I would think there is moisture causing the problem. The Instrument Cluster signals the FCM to operate the relays in the IPM. How about carefully placing a heater in the cab and see if that changes the symptoms.

Wiper and washer system operation are completely
controlled by the instrument cluster and FCM logic
circuits, and that logic will only allow these systems
to operate when the ignition switch is in the Accessory
or On positions. Battery current is directed from
a B(+) fuse in the Integrated Power Module (IPM) to
the wiper on/off relay and the wiper high/low relay in
the IPM through a fused B(+) circuit. The FCM uses
low side drivers to control wiper system operation by
energizing or de-energizing the wiper high/low and
wiper on/off relays. The FCM uses a high side driver
to control the operation of the washer pump motor
unit. The multi-function switch circuitry receives a
clean ground output from the instrument cluster on a
multi-function switch return circuit, then provides
resistor multiplexed inputs to the instrument cluster
on an intermittent wipe mux circuit to indicate the
selected wiper system mode and on a wash/beam
select mux circuit to indicate the selected washer system
mode.
The hard wired circuits and components of the
wiper and washer system may be diagnosed and
tested using conventional diagnostic tools and procedures.
However, conventional diagnostic methods
may not prove conclusive in the diagnosis of the
instrument cluster, the FCM, or the electronic message
inputs to or outputs from the instrument cluster
or FCM that control the wiper and washer system
operating modes. The most reliable, efficient, and
accurate means to diagnose the instrument cluster or
the FCM inputs and outputs related to the various
wiper and washer system operating modes requires
the use of a DRBIIIt scan tool. Refer to the appropriate
diagnostic information.

rocket

Licensed Dynacologist
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2006
Engine
was a HEMI 5.7
Damn Bill did you get lost? .

naw I have a wiper motor with dirty contacts....can'do **** in this weather.....Tried the dealer he said there was no recall on my year truck....Wipers still work, just the delay is all screwed up.

techie1961

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have an '05 with the same issues. Wipers have a mind of their own and even stopped working altogether. I had the motor apart in the summer and couldn't see anything wrong with it so I thought that it was likely a controller problem. I managed to fix it yesterday though.

I took the motor off and opened up the cover that accesses the contacts. They looked fine like they did in the summer but I was thinking that maybe the electronics in the FCM were putting such a low power signal through them that even a slight bit of corrosion was screwing it up. I removed the grease and put it on a piece of paper. I then took some solvent and cleaned it up. Used some 1200 grit paper and polished the brass tracks off. Also polished the tips on the cover that contact the strips. There was some extra grease so I put a thin layer on the tracks. It now works perfect.

I think that even a little corrosion on the tracks can mess up the controller. It wasn't finding home position sometimes so it would go through another loop with the motor.

rocket

Licensed Dynacologist
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2006
Engine
was a HEMI 5.7
I have an '05 with the same issues. Wipers have a mind of their own and even stopped working altogether. I had the motor apart in the summer and couldn't see anything wrong with it so I thought that it was likely a controller problem. I managed to fix it yesterday though.

I took the motor off and opened up the cover that accesses the contacts. They looked fine like they did in the summer but I was thinking that maybe the electronics in the FCM were putting such a low power signal through them that even a slight bit of corrosion was screwing it up. I removed the grease and put it on a piece of paper. I then took some solvent and cleaned it up. Used some 1200 grit paper and polished the brass tracks off. Also polished the tips on the cover that contact the strips. There was some extra grease so I put a thin layer on the tracks. It now works perfect.

I think that even a little corrosion on the tracks can mess up the controller. It wasn't finding home position sometimes so it would go through another loop with the motor.
How big a deal was this? can the average joe do this without screwing up anything.........( I can *** up a wet dream so I've been told....)

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
SRT 10 Viper Motor and Tranny
Rus,
Like everything on our trucks it isn't easy to trouble shoot. But since this is temperature related, I would think there is moisture causing the problem. The Instrument Cluster signals the FCM to operate the relays in the IPM. How about carefully placing a heater in the cab and see if that changes the symptoms.

Wiper and washer system operation are completely
controlled by the instrument cluster and FCM logic
circuits, and that logic will only allow these systems
to operate when the ignition switch is in the Accessory
or On positions. Battery current is directed from
a B(+) fuse in the Integrated Power Module (IPM) to
the wiper on/off relay and the wiper high/low relay in
the IPM through a fused B(+) circuit. The FCM uses
low side drivers to control wiper system operation by
energizing or de-energizing the wiper high/low and
wiper on/off relays. The FCM uses a high side driver
to control the operation of the washer pump motor
unit. The multi-function switch circuitry receives a
clean ground output from the instrument cluster on a
multi-function switch return circuit, then provides
resistor multiplexed inputs to the instrument cluster
on an intermittent wipe mux circuit to indicate the
selected wiper system mode and on a wash/beam
select mux circuit to indicate the selected washer system
mode.
The hard wired circuits and components of the
wiper and washer system may be diagnosed and
tested using conventional diagnostic tools and procedures.
However, conventional diagnostic methods
may not prove conclusive in the diagnosis of the
instrument cluster, the FCM, or the electronic message
inputs to or outputs from the instrument cluster
or FCM that control the wiper and washer system
operating modes. The most reliable, efficient, and
accurate means to diagnose the instrument cluster or
the FCM inputs and outputs related to the various
wiper and washer system operating modes requires
the use of a DRBIIIt scan tool. Refer to the appropriate
diagnostic information.

I hurt my eyes trying to read this.

techie1961

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How big a deal was this? can the average joe do this without screwing up anything.........( I can *** up a wet dream so I've been told....)

It is about as easy as it gets. Remove the wipers by pulling the retaining clamps out and lifting the arms off. Next, there are two screws on either side of the front wiper motor cover as well as some Christmas tree clips on the edge near the rear hood edge. It comes off really easy. Unplug the wiper motor plug and unscrew three 10mm (socket size) screws that hold the whole wiper motor assembly on.

I did all if this part outside at below zero and then brought it inside to work on.

On the motor (Trico style and not sure about the other make) there is a black cover that has about 5 clips (I think) that are part of the cover. Use a screwdriver to lightly nudge them open one at a time. Once the cover was off, I removed any grease (electrical area and not the worm gear area) that was in there to a piece of paper to be reused. The stuff that was dirty, I tossed away.

Once you remove the grease, wipe out the contact area nice and clean. Get a bit of 1000-1200 grit paper. Tear off a piece and use it to polish the round brass ring inside as well as the small brass strip where the contacts rub. Use the same paper to clean the tips of the two contact points. Put some of the grease on the brass areas where the contacts will rub. Doesn't need much.

The two photos are not of mine but I found them on the net. In one, you can see the brass ring area that needs to be cleaned up. Up to the right of that in the photo, you will see a small rectangular brass contact area. I found that some of the plastic had smeared across this and I had to pick it away with a small screwdriver. Make sure they are nice and clear. Also, the photo has some grease in it that doesn't look like it is original. I think that the original grease has some electrical properties to it and was white. That was why I saved it and reused it. Might not matter but I wanted to be sure.
Put it all together and hopefully this is the same cause as mine.

Attachments

• old2.jpg
    old2.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 77
  • old4.jpg
    old4.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 97
  • wiper_arm_removal_installation_image.jpg
    wiper_arm_removal_installation_image.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 68