Engine Swap - Am I Crazy?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pix1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Here's my situation.

My wife and I have an 8 month old daughter, and my 02 is a regular cab. My wife drives a Journey that we bought last year, which is a great little vehicle and gets the job done for us 90% of the time. But, if I ever have to go to Home Depot (1hr away) or other errands that require my truck, my girls either can't go with me or have to drive separately in the Journey. I don't like taking 2 vehicles to places.

So...

I'd like a backseat in my truck.

And, we can't afford another car payment.

Here's a frugal thought I had earlier: Why can't I put my good motor (4.7) in a bigger truck? There's always a few 3rd gen quad cabs with bad motors for sale (cheap) locally, and I have a few buddies who could help me pull off the swap.

My motor only has 130k on it, and I have taken very good care of it since I bought the truck with 44k on it in 07. I'd trust mine way more than something I could pull out of a wrecked truck.

My beloved truck would become a donor, and I could either part out the rest, or park in in a shed and get it running again someday when my daughter is ready to drive.

So, let me have it. Am I crazy to even consider this?

WalterG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I used to own an 02 quad cab with the 4.7 in it. The motor was great in the truck and did very well. I don't think you are crazy at all. If the truck you get to put the motor in is "cheap", sounds like a good option to a larger truck, especially if the one you get already has a 4.7. Then you have less to do for the swap. If you get an 02 or 03 I would think that wiring and sensors would be the same.

Good option, kinda like doing a rebuild in your truck, only the other way around and you get a larger cab.

OP
OP
Pix1500

Pix1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Found an 02 quad cab 4x4 with bad 4.7 engine. Has the typical rust over the rear wheels, but that's nothing I wouldn't have to fix on my current truck. Rest of the truck is pretty clean.

Still have to commit to pulling the trigger on this, but I'm very intrigued.

Lil_Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Power tech 3.7L
Found an 02 quad cab 4x4 with bad 4.7 engine. Has the typical rust over the rear wheels, but that's nothing I wouldn't have to fix on my current truck. Rest of the truck is pretty clean.

Still have to commit to pulling the trigger on this, but I'm very intrigued.

I know Derek and a few others for that matter put there's to work in the QCSB. I'd agree it sounds like a good idea. You could probably make back some of the money if not all but parting out your current one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
It wouldn't be too bad to do and you already have all the sensors and the PCM from yor old truck to make it work.

I'd do it!

OP
OP
Pix1500

Pix1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So, I just found out the truck has the 5.9 in it. I know the theoretical swap just got harder, but how much harder?