Compass not working ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
As Jwheeler said, some trucks had an issue where they needed the vehicle reconfiguration reprogrammed. The compass module is in the overhead console. Either way if it's a new truck with warranty, take it in to the dealer, don't mess with it yourself.
Hey Tach _tech welcome to this post Sir !.Glad you showed up , I was hoping you would !

Please read the whole post and please elaborate as you see fit , it's always nice to have a seasoned RAM Technician amongst us !

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
As Jwheeler said, some trucks had an issue where they needed the vehicle reconfiguration reprogrammed. The compass module is in the overhead console. Either way if it's a new truck with warranty, take it in to the dealer, don't mess with it yourself.
Thanks for the feedback.
Unfortunately after picking it up the last time for the issue, I was told they would open a StarTech case and didn't need the truck immediately. I'm not getting call backs from the dealer when I call to check on the status.
They really don't seem to want to deal with the truck, especially before the holiday (I'm back at home for the next week only).

I'm planning on starting the uc5.0 to uc8.4 AN upgrade/mod tomorrow.
DIY 5.0 to 8.4 Navigation upgrade

I doubt any dealer will work on it under warranty once I swap the radio.
Does that sound about right?

Sent from my LG G4 on Tapatalk.

Last edited:

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Damn ! I was hoping you'd get this nailed down prior to the upgrade .

Good Luck Mike !

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Hey Tach _tech welcome to this post Sir !.Glad you showed up , I was hoping you would !

Please read the whole post and please elaborate as you see fit , it's always nice to have a seasoned RAM Technician amongst us !

Whoops, my bad, was on my phone and didn't see there was more than one page, I'll have to read everything when I get a sec.

Express Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a 2014 Ram 1500 Express that came with the RA1 Radio. I now have the RA4 radio and the 7" cluster. My compass seems to work in the evic randomly. I was wondering if anyone would know why? I'm guessing the donor truck had it but I need some type of flash done to my truck for it to work all the time?

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Do you have an overhead console with a compass module ?

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
I have a 2014 Ram 1500 Express that came with the RA1 Radio. I now have the RA4 radio and the 7" cluster. My compass seems to work in the evic randomly. I was wondering if anyone would know why? I'm guessing the donor truck had it but I need some type of flash done to my truck for it to work all the time?
I have the exact same problem with mine (can see it on my uc5.0's radio compass screen and 7" Evic).
It works randomly for 5-10 mins at a time when it decides to work.

Funny thing, it stopped working the next trip, but started to work again 5 mins into the last drive.

Edit: hasn't worked the last 2 drives.
CUN code must be active at least.

Compass module signal must just be flakey.

Drive 4: worked for middle five out of 15 minute drive.

Drive 5: worked for 2nd 5mins of 15min drive. Re-calibrated it while looping the highway on/off ramps. Stopped working, came back for 1-2 mins near end of drive and went to no signal again.

Dealer was no help. See my prior posts in this thread. I'm just ignoring the problem at this point. Might be a loose connection somewhere, but idk.

Didn't the RA1 have a compass button also?

Last edited:

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I was hoping you'd see this ! Same issue kinda weird huh ?

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
I was hoping you'd see this ! Same issue kinda weird huh ?
Yep, and dealer thought it was weird because no one else has ever had this problem. BS. Threads are all over the internet.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That is BS ! I've seen many people complain about the compass having issues and that's just on the RF , must be 10 or hundreds of thousands with an issue ..

Express Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
No the RA1 doesn't have the compass button. And no I don't have the overhead console in my truck. It only shows my compass direction in the evic, I don't recall ever seeing it in the radio.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Yep, and dealer thought it was weird because no one else has ever had this problem. BS. Threads are all over the internet.

To be completely honest with you, I haven't seen a customer come in with any complaints about the compass. Any that did were part of the TSB to perform the vehicle reconfiguration. I'm not trying to say there isn't an issue, that just because there are threads on the Internet, doesn't make it a wide spread problem.

As for your guys issues with the compass working intermittently, I looked through all my sources and didn't come up with much help. Only thing I came up with is a star case about defective radios causing intermittent compass operation.

The fact that it's intermittent rules out the sales code being an issue. Wiring is a possible issue, but more likely is a hardware/software fault. I'm assuming your radios have the latest updates?

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks for the response Sir .

If you have a moment check out 4th gen eng & Performance thread titled " I NEED HELP" a guy has an 09 Ram with a Strang issue that may be right up your ally...

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
To be completely honest with you, I haven't seen a customer come in with any complaints about the compass. Any that did were part of the TSB to perform the vehicle reconfiguration. I'm not trying to say there isn't an issue, that just because there are threads on the Internet, doesn't make it a wide spread problem.

As for your guys issues with the compass working intermittently, I looked through all my sources and didn't come up with much help. Only thing I came up with is a star case about defective radios causing intermittent compass operation.

The fact that it's intermittent rules out the sales code being an issue. Wiring is a possible issue, but more likely is a hardware/software fault. I'm assuming your radios have the latest updates?
Thanks for the feedback. I bet most people just don't care if the compass module works or not. I honestly am torn about it. It's not that important of a function in the overall sense, but I'm just a bit OCD enough to want everything to work correctly, no matter how trivial.

Yes, my uC5.0 radio is on the current sw version. Compass module was also replaced by the dealer. Still intermittent. Once I get the 8.4AN radio installed, we will see if its' more reliable with a different radio.

Last edited:

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
@ Mpgrimm2 , I'm thinking of installing an O / H console with the cmpass/Homelink module 68105822AB , my truck came with the RA1 & no O / H console.
To my knowledge the code I need flashed is just the CV2 ?
I wouldn't need CUN also would I ?
I do plan on completing the RA4 8.4 AN Upgrade so while getting the code I need now should I go ahead and get the JFJ Code as well ?
Last Q if I get the JFJ Code prior to the Premium 7" cluster and RA4 8.4 would this cause any issues ?

I think the JFJ code would not cause an issue kinda like XAC before installing the Back up cam , just get a blue screen in reverse , no real problem .

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
From what I've read so far courtesy of RicksRam and others, you will not need the CUN sales code for the mod.
As far as having the CV2 and JFJ codes added ahead of time that is up to you, but...
I like the idea of having all the parts installed so that when the dealer adds the codes you can very the BCM took the sales codes without having to make a return trip.

Edit: compass readout is compatible with the standard Evic and RA2.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I agree with Mpgrimm2 get all of your mods added and then get the codes flashed. I was able to be in the shop while they added the codes to make sure they all worked. I can verify for sure that
The CV2 code activated the Homelink and the compass in the radio on my friends RA1 equiped truck that we upgraded to an RA2 with overhead console.
I would also add the RA2 sales code if you still have the RA2 when you do the flash. This will move all of your settings from your EVIC to the radio which in my opinion is much nicer.
As far as the compass heading in the EVIC goes I cannot verify for sure that the CV2 code turned it on. I just don't remember checking that for sure. We were mainly trying to get the Homelink and radio compass working.
You may need the CUN or other code to activate the EVIC compass. There is a list of codes that will come up. You're tech can add them untill you get what you want.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks Rick , I was just thinking when I go in for my recalls may be a good time to try and swing some codes since they will be doing the software on ORC . I'm just not sure if I'll be done with the compass/homelink install at that point.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
JUST POSTED O/H console for sale in the classifieds.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
JUST POSTED O/H console with compass module for sale in the classifieds.

Brand new in original packaging , posted in the for sale in the classifieds

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodie1990