Installing OEM backup cam

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
@Hemi395 ,

You may be on to something with the fluid film .... probably not though as the connector is sealed at the mating of the male & female interlock and @all 8ea wires individually.

Good luck my friend .
When and if I get the wife's camera replaced ,I'll let you know Sir if it fixed the ghosting of the active gridlines.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Bump

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Bump , this is getting buried in my subscribed threads , I'm tired of scrolling for it

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
For anyone in need , I have a p/n for the tailgate handle with the hole in it for the camera . As I've struggled to find one in the past .

P/N 68197873AA. $70.32
From Tasca Parts Center

Camera P/N 56038978AK $80.20 also from Tasca

Hope this helps !

Remember to all : POST #10 HERE HAS A TREMENDOUS AMOUNT OF INFORMATION FOR TROUBLESHOOTING & INSTALL TIPS

Last edited:

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Is it possible to get the camera itself without the handle?
Yep $80.20 P/N 56038978AK

From Tasca Parts Center.

Yours still ghosting or blurry?

Did you ever try to dry it out in a bowl of rice or a hair dryer for 5 mins or both ?

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yep $80.20 P/N 56038978AK

From Tasca Parts Center.

Yours still ghosting or blurry?

Did you ever try to dry it out in a bowl of rice or a hair dryer for 5 mins or both ?

Yeah it's still ghosting.

No I was going to do that but haven't yet. I did however check all the connections including the ground in the engine bay and my splice at the BCM. All connections are free of water and fluid film. I looked at the screen closer the other night and noticed that the image itself isn't ghosting it's just the grid lines....

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yeah it's still ghosting.

No I was going to do that but haven't yet. I did however check all the connections including the ground in the engine bay and my splice at the BCM. All connections are free of water and fluid film. I looked at the screen closer the other night and noticed that the image itself isn't ghosting it's just the grid lines....
The grid lines at the camera harness is the tiny light blue wire , it continues on to the purple wire @ the BCM and finally the BCM C-5 socket 45 orange & dk blue wire ... I'd try drying the camera with a hair dryer for about 5-7 minutes then immediately bury it in a bowl of rice with a tight lid for a day or two , reinstall . If still ghosting then replace with a new camera , or swap out your camera with a buddy's camera see if you still have ghosting or not and see If your cam ghost is his , this is a 10 min job .

Did you purchase this kit from your dealer ? If so it's probably still under warranty.

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Due to the fact that it's just the lines, I think it's more likely a bad camera than anything else.

There was a guy on eBay who had a bulk box of cameras and he was liquidating them cheap. I almost bought one just to have as a spare. I'll see if I can dig up a link if he still has them.

EDIT:

Here's the listing I was thinking of.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/311619181935

Last edited:

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That's incredible!

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The grid lines at the camera harness is the tiny light blue wire , it continues on to the purple wire @ the BCM and finally the BCM C-5 socket 45 orange & dk blue wire ... I'd try drying the camera with a hair dryer for about 5-7 minutes then immediately bury it in a bowl of rice with a tight lid for a day or two , reinstall . If still ghosting then replace with a new camera , or swap out your camera with a buddy's camera see if you still have ghosting or not and see If your cam ghost is his , this is a 10 min job .

Did you purchase this kit from your dealer ? If so it's probably still under warranty.

Yeah I'm going to try the hair dryer/rice. I got the kit from Amazon so now warranty unfortunately. It's not that bad of a problem it's just one of those things that bugs me.

Unfortunately I don't know anyone that will let me swap cameras with them so if the hair dryer/rice doesn't work maybe I'll pick up a second camera and try that...

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yeah I'm going to try the hair dryer/rice. I got the kit from Amazon so now warranty unfortunately. It's not that bad of a problem it's just one of those things that bugs me.

Unfortunately I don't know anyone that will let me swap cameras with them so if the hair dryer/rice doesn't work maybe I'll pick up a second camera and try that...
No worries , just take one off the back of the lot , at night , takes about 3 minutes with practice, make sure you wear a mask , ha ha wouldn't want to get caught by a Camera while stealing a Camera

LOL Just kidding

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
no worries , just take one off the back of the lot , at night , takes about 3 minutes with practice, make sure you wear a mask , ha ha wouldn't want to get caught by a camera while stealing a camera

lol just kidding
lol

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
@Hemi395 - Are you using a LockPick or something else with your radio? That "touch screen to exit" message looks aftermarket.

Padre675

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Tradesman Crew
Engine
4.7L V8 FFV
After a few hours of looking at schematics I came across connector I440 that is located in the "C" pilllar on the drivers side right above the seat belt. Low and behold it had both the F923 power and Lin Bus CBC3 in it and better yet they were not pinned coming out the other side of the connector. I realized I could pin two wires into this connector and run it up to the camera to finish my installation. Now only to find the terminals. I had dug through Yazaki catalogs, and eventually found that I needed terminal number 7116-4110-02. Both the power and Lin Bus required a 2.8mm terminal and not a 1.5mm terminal.

I have also been planning on using the i440 for quite some time now, I cringe at the idea of splicing into a wire if I don't have to. Just finally got the camera and harness for Christmas and was going to install but got stuck missing those terminal as well. Also, on my truck at least ('13 1500 Express), there's an open ground in the i440 with the same size pin that I planned on using.

I searched the internet and could not find anyone that would sell me this terminal in a small quantity.

Are you sure that 7116-4110-02 is the correct part number? I've been searching and couldn't come up with the pn for the pin. If so, I've found that pn at Jameco Electronics (use them often for my other Electronics hobbies) for $0.25 each. They will sell them individually.