Relay rattling, voltage drop?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mdifilippo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Hey guys,
So I tapped into the footwell lights on my 1500 to add step lights. Work great but when they fade off it causes the relay to rattle like a rattlesnake. I'm assuming this is due to the voltage drop. so 2 questions 1- is this going kill my relay quicker? and 2- Is there anything I can add in line to alleviate this issue?

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
yes its due to the slow voltage drop. no it shouldt kill the relay. no there is really nothing that you can do that im aware of.

OP
OP
mdifilippo

mdifilippo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Thanks for the reply Baum I didn't even think of it the slow voltage drop until after I had set everything up and remembered those lights dim out.

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i use to have a car where i needed to relay the light for an alarm to trigger (CRS is kicking in and i dont know why) but the relay did the same thing and after you brought this up i can now "hear" that relay sound in my head. when I installed it i tried to bury it as good as i could wrapping it up in a little dynamat to stop some of the sound so i didnt have to hear it.

on a side note depending on the types of step lights you are using is the current draw that great that you need the relay?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodie1990