School me on HIDs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok guys lets not turn this into a ******* match. It doesn't help the o.p. Or anybody to be honest. Let's agree to disagree at this point

If this is just civil discussion that is fine because things can be learned and I take my comment back lol, but it would have to continue to be civil

No one is calling names yet so it's civil lol

I just hate to see people get given bad information. There can be a lot of people in the future reading through this thread and it is good that they see both sides.

My last comment is this. If you're doing hids or leds, put them in a good projector. If you're strictly concerned about light output and that is it, go with hids. If you want something that's realistically equally or very near equally as bright as hids, without having to worry about bulb/ballast issues, possible flickering with age, and none or very minimal wiring required, go with leds. The fact that most of them just plug into the factory plugs and require no additional harness make leds worth it to me.

Last edited:

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
That's also not true. Due to the way these LED "bulbs" produce light, it scatters tremendously. The fact that you have to adjust the aiming of your headlights proves that. By the time you aim them down enough that the scatter is below the line of vision of other drivers, they're basically aimed at the ground and you've lost a ton of distance.

This stuff isn't a matter of opinion; it's science. Pick up a luxmeter and take some measurements to see for yourself.
Dude I could care less what you say or your "opinion". I've had led bulbs in Halogen lenses and they are way better than any Halogen bulb.

Keep thinking you know everything about bulbs and that your right and everyone else is wrong.

HID's are not the best lighting out there for everyone. And some vehicles with led bulbs actually perform just fine.

Sent from hell via TapATalk

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
You sound like you've done a lot of reading on the subject but have 0 first hand experience with these new led bulbs.

For the record, one of the vehicles I installed one of the Opt7 led kits on was an 06 GTO with (GASP) oem halogen projectors. The light output is absolutely perfect and it looks like a Lexus that came with them from the factory. I dare you to tell me that I'm blinding people or causing an unsafe condition with them. Because that's complete ********. Honestly as long as hids or leds are going into a good quality projector, and they're aimed right, you're not causing some safety hazard. Reflectors are another story.
Exactly. This guy is trying to tell me that by me using led bulbs I'm blinding oncoming traffic and causing a safety issue. Yet I had them in for weeks and never once was i flashed or honked at or brake checked.

This dude just has a hard on for hid's and for some reason has this grudge against led "bulbs".

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Ok guys lets not turn this into a ******* match. It doesn't help the o.p. Or anybody to be honest. Let's agree to disagree at this point

If this is just civil discussion that is fine because things can be learned and I take my comment back lol, but it would have to continue to be civil

Don't worry about it. I'm done with this thread. Some people are so set in what they think that they're not willing to accept evidence to the contrary. All one can do is present the facts and move on.

If somebody really wants to learn, get some different options and test them for yourselves. Invest in a luxmeter and do some experimentation.

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Fortunately most of us don't need a fancy tool to tell us whether there is an improvement in quality or not. I got two of them in the front of my face that do that just fine.

This really isn't rocket science and shouldn't be made into it. Leds and hids are both an improvement over halogens if they're in projectors. But in my experience leds do away with some of the common problems that hids have and that's all there is to it. I don't know if some people in this thread have some kind of affiliation with an hid supplier or something, but turning a post about led headlights into an argument about terminology and using luxmeters to determine a slight difference between the two is irrelevant.

Leds in a projector housing will do fine and contrary to what some people will tell you, will not cause mass-murder as you're driving down the street.

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Fortunately most of us don't need a fancy tool to tell us whether there is an improvement in quality or not. I got two of them in the front of my face that do that just fine.

This really isn't rocket science and shouldn't be made into it. Leds and hids are both an improvement over halogens if they're in projectors. But in my experience leds do away with some of the common problems that hids have and that's all there is to it. I don't know if some people in this thread have some kind of affiliation with an hid supplier or something, but turning a post about led headlights into an argument about terminology and using luxmeters to determine a slight difference between the two is irrelevant.

Leds in a projector housing will do fine and contrary to what some people will tell you, will not cause mass-murder as you're driving down the street.
Yea that's what I'm thinking... he probably has an affiliation with an hid supplier.

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI

This wasn't a thread about LED lights. It was a guy asking about HIDs in which you stated LEDs are better. This is a demonstrably false statement, and that's all I said. A properly setup HID configuration beats any LED setup, any time. You took exception to this for some reason, and I'm not sure why.

I think you're short changing yourself by thinking you're getting the best performance you can with LEDs, but that's your prerogative. As long as you're running them in projectors then at least you're not blinding anyone else. My comments about being dangerous were directed at OnSale who is advocating running LEDs in halogen reflector housings. This is an issue and even though you admitted as much, he seems to think you're backing him up on that.

It's amusing that you think I'm some shill for an HID company, but I can assure you that's not the case. In my experience, all of the shills work for the LED vendors and that's why there's such a cult following behind them. Sadly, I'm just an average guy who has wasted a lot of time and money on what I thought was good based on reading the comments from other people who were also uninformed. At some point somebody pointed out that I was wrong, and after a lot of research and testing I realized that they were right. I try my best to return the favor to others, but some people just don't want to listen. That's why I suggested people do their own testing and decide for themselves instead of taking my word for it, but I guess that's no good either.

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This wasn't a thread about LED lights. It was a guy asking about HIDs in which you stated LEDs are better. This is a demonstrably false statement, and that's all I said. A properly setup HID configuration beats any LED setup, any time. You took exception to this for some reason, and I'm not sure why.

I think you're short changing yourself by thinking you're getting the best performance you can with LEDs, but that's your prerogative. As long as you're running them in projectors then at least you're not blinding anyone else. My comments about being dangerous were directed at OnSale who is advocating running LEDs in halogen reflector housings. This is an issue and even though you admitted as much, he seems to think you're backing him up on that.

It's amusing that you think I'm some shill for an HID company, but I can assure you that's not the case. In my experience, all of the shills work for the LED vendors and that's why there's such a cult following behind them. Sadly, I'm just an average guy who has wasted a lot of time and money on what I thought was good based on reading the comments from other people who were also uninformed. At some point somebody pointed out that I was wrong, and after a lot of research and testing I realized that they were right. I try my best to return the favor to others, but some people just don't want to listen. That's why I suggested people do their own testing and decide for themselves instead of taking my word for it, but I guess that's no good either.

I'm just curious, how many of the good led kits have you installed and see on a daily basis? In person, not online pictures.

You're not gonna tell me that I don't see what I see with my own two eyes. I never said anything about which one is absolutely gonna give you the best "performance" over the other. I said that across the board, when you consider EVERYTHING, that I like leds better. And the only reason it's gone this far is basically because you came in here and right out of the gate started telling everyone that they don't know what they're talking about. I don't care what anyone or a luxmeter tells me when I've seen them both with my own eyes.

But yeah, how many led headlight setups have you personally, with your own two hands, installed and use/see on a daily basis?

Last edited:

12sportmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Both of y'all PM each other. Everyone is 10ft tall and bullet proof on the internet. Just settle whatever misunderstandings you guys have outside this poor guys post. Pretty sure he has ample information now to make his choices. Valid points from both of you gentlemen. A MOD has already stepped in and said to chill out, so let's all agree to disagree and just move on already. Thank you and have a super day.
10fc57f29f05edb1cfaece028cc11047.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WillO

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The phrase is "couldn't care less" not "could care less"

It's a peeve

Carry on

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Both of y'all PM each other. Everyone is 10ft tall and bullet proof on the internet. Just settle whatever misunderstandings you guys have outside this poor guys post. Pretty sure he has ample information now to make his choices. Valid points from both of you gentlemen. A MOD has already stepped in and said to chill out, so let's all agree to disagree and just move on already. Thank you and have a super day.
10fc57f29f05edb1cfaece028cc11047.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's no need. I already said I was done with this thread but some people can't help but beat a dead horse. When somebody comes back questions my integrity by saying that I'm only commenting because I work for some HID vendor, you can bet your ass I'm not going to let that go unchecked. I've done nothing on this forum but help people, including taking a lot of time to respond in great detail to many of OnSale's billion headlight posts. I won't make that mistake again.

Ed loves guns

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The phrase is "couldn't care less" not "could care less"

It's a peeve

Carry on

Semantics!!1! Ill english how I want to!

Oh and to the OP... Ill be getting the Fluxbeam X's here shortly and will be putting them in the quad reflectors. I have a feeling they will be just fine. Ill post pics when I get them.

WillO

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Semantics!!1! Ill english how I want to!

Oh and to the OP... Ill be getting the Fluxbeam X's here shortly and will be putting them in the quad reflectors. I have a feeling they will be just fine. Ill post pics when I get them.

Lol

OP
OP
B

Bullitt5339

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
As the OP, I appreciate the conversation about LEDs as an viable alternative.

Blinding other people with LEDs is also not a concern with the tinted lenses.

My concern is visibility at night with the tinted lenses, point blank. I am ordering the OPT7 LEDs on Thursday to try them out in the tinted headlights. If they still aren't bright enough to see at night I will be ditching the tinted headlights and then trying the LED bulbs in those.

Thanks for all the input, I appreciate it. It was especially helpful to quickly realize that just popping HIDs in the reflective housings were not going to work, so thank you.

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

My concern is visibility at night with the tinted lenses, point blank. I am ordering the OPT7 LEDs on Thursday to try them out in the tinted headlights. If they still aren't bright enough to see at night I will be ditching the tinted headlights and then trying the LED bulbs in those.

Thanks for all the input, I appreciate it. It was especially helpful to quickly realize that just popping HIDs in the reflective housings were not going to work, so thank you.

Glad we could get you some answers :happy107:

Sorry it got a little hot in here lol, but a good debate isn't always all bad. Brings out a lot of information. I'm curious about your results in the tinted headlights. They're usually pretty rough on light output so if it is acceptable that will be pretty impressive.

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
ill be getting the Fluxbeam X's here shortly and will be putting them in the quad reflectors. I have a feeling they will be just fine. Ill post pics when I get them.

I had a set in my quads... you just gotta make sure you put them in the proper way. If you want to PM me i can give you a few tips, because they are meant to be installed and facing a certain way. The FluxBeam-X bulbs have markings on them.

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk

Last edited:

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L

Oh yea btw be extremely careful with the tinted headlights.

Are they tinted with a tint film applied inside the lense? Or is the tint between 2 layers of plastic?

I ask because most ebay headlights that are tinted just have a normal piece of window tint applied to the inside of the lense. What happens is when you install LED's, HID's or even a high output Halogen, they will produce a ton of heat and it will literally melt your headlight.

I had a set of chrome housing - smoked lense - Spyder Halo headlights on my 2006 Ram 1500 and i threw in an HID kit for 2 or 3 days and thats all it took to melt some of the headlights lense. Even after i took them out and went back to a normal Halogen (Phillips Crystal Vision Bulbs) the headlight housing and lense would get VERY hot after i drove for 20-30 minutes.

So all in all, once you install the led's be sure to get out of your truck and touch the housings and lenses to make sure they are not extremely hot. If you see any ripples or waves starting to form on the tint film, remove the headlights as thats a sign that they are getting too hot and starting to melt.

Also, be sure to post up some pictures. Your going to love the FluxBeam-X bulbs. Im not sure how their gonna look behind a smoked lense, but they were awesome on the clear lense quads i had them in.

OP
OP
B

Bullitt5339

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm going to go out and check the headlights. I believe they are actually sandwiched plastic, but will double check. These weren't purchased from ebay, so maybe that's a good thing.

Edit: I couldn't tell in the dark, I'm going to have to check them out tomorrow when it's daylight, I guess.

Last edited:

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I'm going to go out and check the headlights. I believe they are actually sandwiched plastic, but will double check. These weren't purchased from ebay, so maybe that's a good thing.

Edit: I couldn't tell in the dark, I'm going to have to check them out tomorrow when it's daylight, I guess.
Yea you should be able to tell by looking at any corners or bends.

Just keep an eye on them after you put the new bulbs in. Dont just throw in the bulbs and take a 3+ hour drive lol. Id say go drive 20 or 30 minutes and check them every 10 minutes or so. If you touch the lense with your hand you will be able to tell if its hotter then it should be.