Purchasing advice 1996 3500 Cummins

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CJ69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L
Hey guys,

I am going to look at a 1996 3500 4x4 Dually with a 12V cummins tomorrow morning. I am trying to figure out if it is a deal that cannot be passed by. I would like some input on key things to look for when checking one of these trucks out. I am not going to throw out the asking price because I am not looking for opinions, only technical advice.

I will be doing some searching and research in the mean time but since time is short, I would appreciate some quick help.

I currently own a 1999 Ram 1500 4x4 that is beat to hell and rotting apart. So I am familiar with many of the body and aesthetic issues that happen over time with a truck that is nearly 20 years old. I am mostly concerned with evaluating the drivetrain of this "new" truck as it is intended to be used as a tow rig taking a couple Rockcrawler Jeeps to and from the trail in roughly a 300 mile radius from home. I am experienced in inspecting Ball joints, TRE's, suspension bushing etc. so my primary concern is learning about potential issues that may not be obvious or that are specific to these trucks and the 12V cummins. For the asking price of the truck I would even consider still buying it if the transmission seems iffy. Only because a trans rebuild is not outside my capabilities. One that note, pulling the engine to repair the freeze plug is something I can do as well.

I do not have a diesel compression tester so unfortunately that test is out of the question.

If anybody is from NY then any info on something that could be a big problem getting the truck inspected would be appreciated. I have never owned a diesel so I do not know that they look for as far as emissions equipment if anything.

I know very little about these cummins engines other than the "killer dowel pin" and that they are not a common rail system. I have some diesel experience but that is limited to late model Volvo-penta marine engines and old 3-cylinder ford tractors from growing up on a small family farm.

All I know about the truck is that is has roughly 150,000 miles on it and the freeze plug in the back of the block or cylinder head is leaking. The truck also has a plow on it that I am not taking if I buy the truck. I am told it runs and drives excellent and the transmission seems to be in good shape. The current seller is the third owner and has not had the truck for long. He says he only bought the truck to remove the plow to put on another vehicle but his plans have changed.

There has been some engine work done but the seller is not sure what. He knows there is an aftermarket exhaust and the trucks seems to have more grunt than other 12V's that he has owned. There were some extra gauges installed in the truck (trans temp, pyro, boost). The seller said the truck was recently broken into and the a-pillar gauge pod and K&N air filter were stolen. I don't care about any of that I would prefer if it was bone stock so I knew what I was getting but whatever.

I know aftermarket filters can be bad for diesels because they are not as effective as OEM I am hoping it was not on the truck for very long.

So if anybody has any 12V cummins specific advice something unusual to look for. I would appreciate it.

~JJ

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
A '96 Cummins is about as similar to that Old Ford Tractor than anything else.
It's a simple mechanical pumped diesel.

Crap for power (stock) and reliable to the ends of the earth and back.
If it 'runs better' It very likely it's had a fuel plate installed, which isn't a bad thing.
Check when it's running and see how heavily it smokes. I put a hot fuel plate in my '95 and it smoked like a freight train until it got into boost.

I would find an OE air box to put on it, or something without a 'reusable' element.

Check for oil leaks, the front of the engine on the drivers side could be oily from the 'crankcase breather' deal, but it shouldn't be soaking wet.

Not really something you can check until you buy it, but I'd adjust the valves right off.

The transmission is the biggest thing, specially if it's got a fuel plate!
You can (I did) easily go from 195/400 to 300/600 with a fuel plate alone, and that'll wreck havoc on a transmission if it's driven hard.

OP
OP
C

CJ69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L
reliable to the ends of the earth and back.

^ This is actually why I wanted to buy a 12V anyway. It just so happens that this one fell in my lap.

Thanks for the pointers.