• Leave it alone.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Straight Pipes out the back.

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • True Duals out the back.

Votes: 6 50.0%
  • Exchange muffler and go out the side.

• Exchange the muffler and go out the back.

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Ok guys I'm going to ask the age old question about exhaust. But since the 2nd gen section is lacking a thread talking about exhaust I'll start it up.

Ok so here goes.....

Got the classic 5.9. Currently I have the FM 40 series SI/DO Like the sound ok but I want something more. I know what I'm looking for but not sure how to achieve it. So I want your opinion on what you think sounds best on the 5.9.

So should I replace the muffler with a home made y and take it on out the back?
Should I change to a true dual setup and Scrap the cats?
Should I leave it all alone and just replace it with another 40 series?

I have seen some rams take their exhaust and turn it out the passenger side in front of the wheel. What do you guys think?? Give me some ideas on what I should do.

I' am going to be working with a guy to fab up a custom exhaust but not sure what type I want so any help you guys can put in would be greatly appreciated.

Yes I have been on youtube to get sound notes. But the sound quality usually sucks and doesn't do the notes justice. So I wanna hear from the trained ears. lol

FYI NO PIPES OUT THE HOOD!!! lol

ok :Rant: off lol

Last edited:

blk05hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I voted for True duals out the back

and WHAT U DONT LIKE PIPES OUT THE HOOD??? lol
[yt]5A0awYjhWqA[/yt]

OP
OP
Bigtman07

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Lol nah i like them but i get enough of them for derby season. Lol

Last edited:

hemifever

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I enjoyed the flowmasters that were on my old '01 5.9

dodgeram07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
no cat stock muffler was the tick for me
th_100_0058.jpg

but i like true deep sounding dauls sound nice,,, that what i got on my sbc s10 and love it

OP
OP
Bigtman07

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Yea I think I'm gonna cut the cat out when I get my new exhaust. I like a nice deep sound too.

OP
OP
Bigtman07

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Pk bringing this thread back cause I am thinking about getting my exhaust done before I go to texas. not 100% sold on the idea yet. Don't want to get any out of state exhaust tickets. So if anyone has any insight on out of state noise and exhaust laws I would appreciate it.

Ok so here is what I am going to do. I am going with a custom y pipe after the cat to duals out the back with 18" stainless rolled tips. No muffler. So what is your opinion on tip placement. should I go straight out the back or angle them at 45*?

txbass06

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
You'll be just fine in TX and AR with straight pipes. Its not gonna be that loud anyways. I drove a cammed SBC around for 2 months running straight headers lol

OP
OP
Bigtman07

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Lol well that's good to know. I'm just afraid of straight pipe popping. I don't want that, nice loud grumble

bigtigga84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Buddy of mine had a 2500 with the 5.9 and had true duals out the back and then 45'd em. It popped and cracked though. But it was loud as hell too.

OP
OP
Bigtman07

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Yea I was told that since I'm going from headers to y to cat another y to duals. So the only ideas I need is whether to 45 them or not.

txbass06

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Are you gonna have it exit in front or behind the tire?

OP
OP
Bigtman07

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
behind the tire. And I didn't finish that thought. lol it's monday for sure. lol I was told it won't be too obnoxiously loud with the 2 y pipes. To top it off the guy said if I don't like it straight piped then I can take it back and he will put a muffler on it for 30 bucks. So 300 bucks for a straight pipe custom exhaust or a cat back system??? hmmm decisions decisions

txbass06

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
A cat back, IMO, is a waste of money if you've got a good exhaust shop around. The main difference would be in the bends of the tubing and it will be mostly held together with clamps. Most quality cat-back systems will use mandrel bent tubing. And only high end shops will have the ability to mandrel bend exhaust. And you'll pay out the nose for it too.

I'm in the process of re doing mine. Looking for some headers, just bought a cut-out from Kenneth, and I'll be going to my local shop to have it all welded up if I can ever decide on what I want lol. I always preferred a good weld over clamps any day

OP
OP
Bigtman07

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
I agree with you 100% there. This is a guy that does custom exhaust, headers, and all kinds of other stuff. He bends all his own tubing so it will be a one off with aluminized tubing welded together with stainless steel tips and zinc plated hangers. Sounds like a good deal.

txbass06

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
will be a one off with aluminized tubing welded together with stainless steel tips and zinc plated hangers. Sounds like a good deal.

I'm coming to Ohio to get mine done lol. I paid $250 for the exhaust on my last truck. And it was literally a 30 minute job. The guy welded two collectors, two mufflers, two hangers and tacked on two turn downs

OP
OP
Bigtman07

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
lol I know the guy but only through association so I won't get any special pricing. Still a good price I take it? He said he is going to chop it off at the cat and run 2 1/2 inch pipe to a y then bend a single piece to go over the axle and weld on the tips how ever I want them. He also warrants all the work he does. I was thinking about having him do a set of headers for me but he wants more than a set of LT's so I will hold off on that.

txbass06

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
$300 isn't a bad price at all considering he's basically hand making an exhaust for your particular truck, and it's coming with a warranty. Most places don't have much of one, if any warranty at all.
Do you still have the stock cat under yours?

Last edited:

wermbang

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Off Road
Engine
5.9L V8 Sport
I am going to be taking mine out the side before the tire. But this is what I have now. I had a video but cannot find it. Its just a cat back no muffler, magnaflow tips. I will take another vid sometime.
100_1017.jpg