Stock Throttle Body Mod

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MikesRammin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
I've read on here about people who take the throttle body off and cut off the air horns and such for much better performance. Now has anybody on here done that? What do you think of it do you have better performance? how does it effect your mileage? Now can somebody tell me step by step what needs to be done? Pictures? Hopefully we can get a post on how to do it with pictures then have it locked to the top of the thread page. Thanks in advance guys.

nim81

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
ive heard of people cutting them off but i dont remember them being on the TB on my 02' 5.9, but i do remember them on my durango's 5.2 and my 96' 5.9. I would think it wouldnt be too hard using a good dremel

OP
OP
MikesRammin

MikesRammin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
See I've got a dremel and proabably all the tools to do it. I just don't know what all to do on it. I'm afraid to do it right now because I never deal with fuel injection I've always delt with carbs.

nim81

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
well the 5.9 is multi port injection and no fuel goes through the TB. just air.

you want to grind the wings off and make it look like this, just take your time and be careful.

2x52.bmp

also on the older intake manifolds you can cut down the intake runners and a "separator plate" thing in there for better air flow. on the newer 5.9L's dodge made them without the separator plate.

Last edited:

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
good info Nim....MikesRammin.....if you give this a shot take pics and it could be turned into a how to for others. Others might chime in that know about this.

wermbang

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Off Road
Engine
5.9L V8 Sport
I plan on doing this sometime, and also modifyling my kegger.

Before
download.jpg

After
download-1.jpg

wermbang

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Off Road
Engine
5.9L V8 Sport
Those are just pics of the net. I plan on buying kegger and throttle body sometime, just seen one at a swap meet for $50 for the pair but didnt have the money, and will do it. I have read it helps out the idle.

nim81

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
If you get lucky you can find one of the newer keggers that doesn't have the separator. Do you plan on cutting down the intake runners too?

Sent from iPhone-taptalk

wermbang

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Off Road
Engine
5.9L V8 Sport
Yeah. On the 98 (could be 99 also) and newer I believe they do not have the center divider in the kegger. There is a DIY in the 2nd gen section I will be using.
Kegger Mod

nim81

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Yeah. On the 98 (could be 99 also) and newer I believe they do not have the center divider in the kegger. There is a DIY in the 2nd gen section I will be using.
Kegger Mod

divider!!! thank you!!! i couldnt think of that work for nuthin'!! lol

looks like a good write up there

OP
OP
MikesRammin

MikesRammin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
Can I put a 98 5.2 intake on this truck? What all from the 5.9 can swap over to a 5.2? Shouldn't the on differance on the engines in general be bore and stroke?

nim81

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
i know one is internally balanced while the other is externally balanced, but not sure which one is which.

wermbang

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Off Road
Engine
5.9L V8 Sport
I want to say they are the same, but not a 100% on that.

03Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum V8
Well after reading multiple forums on doing this I decided to give it a shot and boy am I disapointed. I noticed a slight increase in throttle response and thats about it not a lot of HP gain which I didnt expect to get a lot to begin with. The BIGGEST problem with this is it completely fu*ked my MPG. I dont get near the gas mileage that I used to. Before on flat road and no wind going 65 it wasnt surprising to see 16 to even 19MPG depending on the day. Now going 65 on the same roads it will not go over 13MPG which 65 being the sweet spot on fuel mileage you would expect it to be getting better than 13 even if its the gas guzzling 5.9 magnum. Going 75 I get 10MPG which is about where it was before but usually was in the high 11's. Not really sure how making the air go into the motor a little better could have screwed it up that bad. To say the least I reccomend wasting your time on something else. Even though everyone else that has done it seemed to get good results. Not sure why mine didnt.

Attachments

• stock.jpg
    stock.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 446
  • ported.jpg
    ported.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 1,833

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
I did this mod about 5 years ago....did not knock out the hour glass but polished the throats.
I noticed a good butt dyno increase in the midrange and upper end.
My original TB is awaiting me. It will be cut but I need to build a jig and get the proper tooling.

"03 ram...not sure why you had an issue. Do you have a vacumn leak.? Did you polish and radius your inlets to the throats? Remeber if you are feeding more air your PCM will increase your injector dwell (more fuel) to maintain its preset A/f ratio. That should give you a good power boost though.
BTW, you don't have any cracked vacumn hoses and your MAP sensor is good, right? I removed it before you did the work and made sure all the lines were blown clean

Last edited:

the codes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
bought a throttle body that was bored out and air horns shaved, etc. love it, night and day difference.

611b3c5f-d546-9aad.jpg

611b3c5f-d556-d2a4.jpg

611b3c5f-d573-3a94.jpg

611b3c5f-d582-d24e.jpg

611b3c5f-d59c-4d3c.jpg

611b3c5f-d5b0-a2fb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

03Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum V8
Well thanks for the info "okiespaniel". I will certainly take a look into this and figure something out. I am aware of the computer needing to add more fuel to keep the a/f mapping where it needs to be but do you really think it would be adding that much more fuel to be getting 3mpg less? Didnt really think it would but who knows.

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
Well thanks for the info "okiespaniel". I will certainly take a look into this and figure something out. I am aware of the computer needing to add more fuel to keep the a/f mapping where it needs to be but do you really think it would be adding that much more fuel to be getting 3mpg less? Didnt really think it would but who knows.

I agree with you. It should not have cost you mileage. But your mileage loss points to another symptom which has happened during or after you modded your TB. Yeah I know...duh.

If your MAP sensor was damaged during your mod or the elbow vacumn hose was plugged or damaged by debris that will kill your mileage.

If you can determine your issue or resolutioon please post up.

03Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum V8
I agree with you. It should not have cost you mileage. But your mileage loss points to another symptom which has happened during or after you modded your TB. Yeah I know...duh.

If your MAP sensor was damaged during your mod or the elbow vacumn hose was plugged or damaged by debris that will kill your mileage.

If you can determine your issue or resolutioon please post up.

Well I went through everything..cleaned out the vacuum hoses. Shaved a little more off the inlets to the ports. Sanded for literally a few hours and polished with "Mothers Mag & Aluminum Polish" to make it just ridiculously smooth and rounded. Did find some air leaks that I never even noticed before which I will post pics of on the next post, and still no luck. So I can only assume it is the sensor now. But wouldnt my Engine Check light be on?