Tranny Troubles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

designwebs

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
I have a Dodge 2002 Dodge Ram 1500. I bought it new. At 36 or 37k the tranny went out.

It now has 84k on it and sometimes I am having tranny troubles.

It seems that sometimes when I am applying the brake like when I would catch a light the truck would shift hard or jolt into the lower gear.

I have noticed as well that it seems not to do this when I am coasting to a stop.

It does not do this all the time. Yesterday I drove it all day with no problems.

Any ballpark suggestions? And by they way what kind of diagnostics can be done on it at the repair shop to nail it down.

OP
OP
designwebs

designwebs

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
Thats funny I don't' care who you are?

Thats funny I don't' care who you are?

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
I think he means that as a "yay another tranny problem" because they're common.

A firm shift into lower gear wouldn't be a problem normally. Need more info to go off.

OP
OP
designwebs

designwebs

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
Down Shifts Hard

I think he means that as a "yay another tranny problem" because they're common.

A firm shift into lower gear wouldn't be a problem normally. Need more info to go off.

When it downshifts it's to the point that it's a jolt...

N8Vbighorn'98

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
I have been having shifting problems as well. Especially when at highway speeds going to pass another vehicle the rpm starts raving high amd it kicks in hard. I thoughts are the band adjusment needs resetting. Given that the transmission be installed two years ago. With only about 30k kms on it.
Any thoughts?
I am going to change the fluid to Amsoil Multi VEHICLE ATF.

OP
OP
designwebs

designwebs

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
Service

I just had the trans flushed and services, checked the fluids and she looks good.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
I have been having shifting problems as well. Especially when at highway speeds going to pass another vehicle the rpm starts raving high amd it kicks in hard. I thoughts are the band adjusment needs resetting. Given that the transmission be installed two years ago. With only about 30k kms on it.
Any thoughts?
I am going to change the fluid to Amsoil Multi VEHICLE ATF.

DO NOT PUT THAT **** IN YOUR TRANS. ATF+4 ONLY

Kicking into high revs and kicking down hard when passing on the highway is 100% normal. Its dropping out of 4th/overdrive for more power and into 3rd. Overdrive is a dog of a gear and many for mileage on the highway. I turn mine off every time i get in and don't turn it on unless I'm getting on the highway for a stretch.

OP
OP
designwebs

designwebs

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
I can check the fluid

I can check the fluid but since I am a Melvin I would need to have my mechanic check the band thingy.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
I can check the fluid but since I am a Melvin I would need to have my mechanic check the band thingy.

Download the factory service manual on here. Very easy thing to do. It on the outside case. Simply put it's a screw and locknut. Loosen locknut, tq screw, back off 2 turns-ish, tighten locknut while holding screw still

N8Vbighorn'98

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
But the applications say ATF+4 so I figured be ok to use the AMSOIL Red Multi Vehicle ATF?

N8Vbighorn'98

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
DO NOT PUT THAT **** IN YOUR TRANS. ATF+4 ONLY

Kicking into high revs and kicking down hard when passing on the highway is 100% normal. Its dropping out of 4th/overdrive for more power and into 3rd. Overdrive is a dog of a gear and many for mileage on the highway. I turn mine off every time i get in and don't turn it on unless I'm getting on the highway for a stretch.

Yeah but is the rpm gauge supposed to act erratically??

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
But the applications say ATF+4 so I figured be ok to use the AMSOIL Red Multi Vehicle ATF?

Unless it specifically states atf+4 on the bottle do not use it. Those multi vehicle fluids ate compatible with vehicles that utilize fluid like MerconV and European and Asian fluids. Chrysler is kinda off on their own thing with atf+4 and it's predecessor made from conventional, atf+3, and and noother fluids are compatible. The only 2 things you cab do to kill your trans quicker are throw it in reverse on the highway or simply drau drain all the fluid and try to operate it

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jems007