X pipe vs DualIn/DualOut vs Y pipe vs Straight pipe vs H pipe

Best performance?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joepizuro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum v10
So here's my experience and understanding

X pipe + Mufflers = Best performance with scavenging good sound

DualIn/DualOut muffler = Same as Xpipe?

Y pipe + Muffler = Cheapest Performance decent sound

Straight Pipe + Mufflers = Best performance without scavenging good sound

H pipe + Mufflers = Good performance with scavenging best sound

I'm always open to thoughts

clownprince

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum V8
Just cut the exhaust off behind the cat and scrap it, make it loud, that is.......if you have easily annoyed neighbors like mine that complain about a dog barking at 3PM

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
A lot of this just depends on what you are looking for out of your truck.

My truck ran a best of 12.04 in the 1/4 mile going through a Y-pipe with no cats or muffler. I then added a complete coilover rear suspension and 3" true duals with no cats or mufflers, and went 11.99. My mph was actually lower on the 11.99 pass, so I contribute those gains more towards the suspension than the exhaust.

Point is, you can make plenty of power going through a simple Y-pipe and single exhaust.

**EDIT**
Sorry guys, I thought this was in the 4G forum. Having said that, the principle still applies...especially on the older 5.2's and 5.9's that make less power than the newer VVT Hemi motors. You dont have to go big on the exhaust to make good power. Too big actually causes you to lose tq down low which is the last thing you want.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Single 3" or even a single 2.5", free flow, will flow more than enough cfm to build awesome power in these trucks. People ***** about the factory y being restrictive but it's really not all that horrible. Builds good low- mid tq with its 2" pipes. 2.5 will give you better low-mid and 3" will be decent throughout the whole range, picking up on the upper end

OP
OP
J

joepizuro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum v10
I'm definitely running duals. So I'll just get a dual in dual out muffler and run X2 2.5" Borla has a nice di/do 2.5" and so does magnaflow..

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I'm having some exhaust work done this Monday, mainly due to my catalytic completely blowing open at one of the inlets. I'm going with a 2.5" y-pipe going to a 3" single inlet/outlet catalytic converter and 2.5" downpipe/muffler ending at a 3" tailpipe.

As long as my guy can make it happen, I'll let you know the results. ;)

No headers at this point, unfortunately. Just not gonna fit the budget this year. Got too much stuff to be fixed to buy "goodies" for the ole' warhorse at this point.

Reactions: Mop

Stegs

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Engine
5.2L 318 C.I.
all this talk about dual exhaust and H/X pipes

Im over here going to get rid of my duals and go back to the stock muffler and tail pipe

I think what you will find, with dual exhaust you will loose torque but gain upper rpm HP

Well, upper rpm HP is nice, but these are trucks, made for torque

To the OP, honestly on these trucks, just going with a highflow cat from magnaflow and a nice magnaflow muffler on your factory exhaust will give you what your looking for.

Take it from me with dual exhaust....someday down the road you will get sick of it and want to go back to the OEM style (maybe add a magnaflow muffler)

I noticed a significant drop in torque with my 2.5 duals....I put 4.56 gears in to get it back, but im looking forward to the stock exhaust and get my truck a torque boost

And yes i know the argument of x pipes add power etc....i know that. Most of the time they are on built motors that flow alot of air....these trucks dont flow a ton of air.....

IMO to the OP, keep your stock exhaust, cut the oem muffler out and add a nice sounding magnaflow....try that.....my guess is you will like it

BBartow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Magnum
all this talk about dual exhaust and H/X pipes

Im over here going to get rid of my duals and go back to the stock muffler and tail pipe

I think what you will find, with dual exhaust you will loose torque but gain upper rpm HP

Well, upper rpm HP is nice, but these are trucks, made for torque

To the OP, honestly on these trucks, just going with a highflow cat from magnaflow and a nice magnaflow muffler on your factory exhaust will give you what your looking for.

Take it from me with dual exhaust....someday down the road you will get sick of it and want to go back to the OEM style (maybe add a magnaflow muffler)

I noticed a significant drop in torque with my 2.5 duals....I put 4.56 gears in to get it back, but im looking forward to the stock exhaust and get my truck a torque boost

And yes i know the argument of x pipes add power etc....i know that. Most of the time they are on built motors that flow alot of air....these trucks dont flow a ton of air.....

IMO to the OP, keep your stock exhaust, cut the oem muffler out and add a nice sounding magnaflow....try that.....my guess is you will like it

well there's your problem ;)

Stegs

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Engine
5.2L 318 C.I.
well there's your problem ;)

agree 100%

Ive been there, learned, looking back, wish i would have kept the the OEM exhaust and just replaced the muffler

I was young and dumb, it was cool to have a loud truck. Now after many years i figured out that MA Mopar did a pretty good job. They new what works and dont.

Kicking myself now, but trying to help another guy out

BBartow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Magnum
agree 100%

Ive been there, learned, looking back, wish i would have kept the the OEM exhaust and just replaced the muffler

I was young and dumb, it was cool to have a loud truck. Now after many years i figured out that MA Mopar did a pretty good job. They new what works and dont.

Kicking myself now, but trying to help another guy out

If you went smaller you would have been fine :crazy:

monteholic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
And that exactly what I did, just replaced the stock muffler with an Aero Turbine for some sound

OP
OP
J

joepizuro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum v10
2" duals for stock. Anything greater would lose bottom end. (Like you did) I've been through the calculations a ton of times and 2.5" duals will be great for my built motor. Cam. 6k rpm. 1.7 RR. .03 or .055 bore. (Not sure yet) Ported heads and intake. Tuner. (I also own the tuning software) 5.13 gears with 35s = stock with 4.56. JBA Headers. Fastman TB.

I did decide to run 2.5" True duals into a Dual In/Dual out Borla with an Xpipe inside of it to keep costs down. Sorry to hear about your truck losing torque from the oversized pipes.

BBartow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Magnum
2" duals for stock. Anything greater would lose bottom end. (Like you did) I've been through the calculations a ton of times and 2.5" duals will be great for my built motor. Cam. 6k rpm. 1.7 RR. .03 or .055 bore. (Not sure yet) Ported heads and intake. Tuner. (I also own the tuning software) 5.13 gears with 35s = stock with 4.56. JBA Headers. Fastman TB.

I did decide to run 2.5" True duals into a Dual In/Dual out Borla with an Xpipe inside of it to keep costs down. Sorry to hear about your truck losing torque from the oversized pipes.

2.25" is fine for stock with mufflers

Stegs

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Engine
5.2L 318 C.I.

thats alright, i got it back with 4.56 gears. The upper rpm HP was nice, but im going back to a stock setup....trucks are made for torque...its foolish to add duals when a high flow cat and muffler on the stock system will do just fine

Oh well, you live and you learn. No matter how much i wanted my truck to be a hotrod, its still a 18 year old truck thats pretty much stock. Looking back i wish i would have kept it mostly stock, spent money on something else:)

Last edited:

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I've currently got 2.25" y-pipe, 3" single inlet/outlet Magnaflow cat, 2.5" downpipe and a Cherry Bomb Extreme with a 3" tailpipe.

Combined with a modified OEM throttle body, low-end power is about the same, but midrange power is significantly improved. Prior to this, my truck didn't feel like it had much north of 70. Now my truck will cruise 80 even easier than it would cruise 70. I don't even have to kick down the overdrive going up one particularly steep, long hill on my daily route.

All in all, $100 for the throttle body, ~$400 in exhaust parts/labor. Worth every penny. :happy107:

Now I just need to get a tune and dump the death flash and then she'll run like she REALLY wants to. :naughty:

OP
OP
J

joepizuro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum v10
Headers plus 2.5" duals with no cats and a x pipe muffler is going to be fun. I wish someone could do a before and after with a CAI on a v10. I love the look but 15hp for $400ish sucks...

Heres something I wrote down.

+15 CAI $400 $26/hp
+10 Fan $300 $30/hp
+30 Exhaust(Plus my headers) $400 $13/hp --
+50 Computer
+3 TBS $122 $41/hp
+5 TB $225 $45/hp

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Headers plus 2.5" duals with no cats and a x pipe muffler is going to be fun. I wish someone could do a before and after with a CAI on a v10. I love the look but 15hp for $400ish sucks...

Heres something I wrote down.

+15 CAI $400 $26/hp
+10 Fan $300 $30/hp
+30 Exhaust(Plus my headers) $400 $13/hp --
+50 Computer
+3 TBS $122 $41/hp
+5 TB $225 $45/hp

Sorry but that's not accurate. Cai is like 3hp simply from reduced engine load to pull air. Pcm probably won't unlock 50hp. If you mean throttle body spacer by tbs subtract 10hp. A good bored out tb will also net a bit more than 5